Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Star Trek Into Darkness 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 13 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

Star Trek Into Darkness 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Star Trek Into Darkness
It's not Abrams fault that he never watched Star Trek before being hired.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 am
Extraordinary

Price wrote:
Bradley, do you suffer reading comprehension problems?

Here is the first description for this sub forum:
Everyone's A Critic
This is the place to give us YOUR reviews on the movies you have seen. Discussion of movies is welcomed, but please do not comment if you have not previously seen the movie! Spoilers are ALLOWED inside.

Please notice the first word that is written in capital letters. And before you ask me where my review is, movie opens here on July 5th, so if I decide to express my opinion in public, it will be after that date.
In the meantime, I only care for YOUR review and for the reviews of the other WOKJ members. If I want to find out what others say, I still have enough energy to move my lazy ass by myself, and I can do the searches likewise.

Heh - - that is truly hilarious coming from someone with your posting history in this sub-forum!!! :funny:

108 posts and it's hard to find a single review amidst the steady stream of snide gossip you've posted in here.

(For anyone who doesn't believe me - - click on the link above and graze through the dross.)

On the other hand, I have written original reviews for over a thousand films in this sub-forum and suffer little compunction for posting an occasional supplementary third party review that is especially well written and provides a distinctive POV that I think that some KJ members may find illuminating.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:19 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Price wrote:
Heh - - that is truly hilarious coming from someone with your posting history in this sub-forum!!! :funny:

108 posts and it's hard to find a single review amidst the steady stream of snide gossip you've posted in here.

(For anyone who doesn't believe me - - click on the link above and graze through the dross.)

On the other hand, I have written original reviews for over a thousand films in this sub-forum and suffer little compunction for posting an occasional supplementary third party review that is especially well written and provides a distinctive POV that I think that some KJ members may find illuminating.

Well, this will be post 109 of snide gossip. Still less junk posts that what can be found in your 3447 ones. I just decided to equal the number of crap first and later I equal the actual review ones.

I don't post reviews because I don't care much for reviews. In fact, I read them AFTER I have seen a movie, because I make my own opinion and don't care what anyone else think, be it positive or negative.

I don't need to find distinctive (aka the ones that suit whatever my opinion is) POV reviews and feel even less the urge to force feed them to other members. That said, I wonder if some KJ members find Slant, Time magazine , The Guardian and Village Voice reviews of Cloud Atlas iluminating.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:47 am
now we know

I also read reviews AFTER I have seen the movie, but also AFTER I have written my review.

I think you are not so unique in this, Price, as I have heard many people do it this way, including our little BradBOY here.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Obviously a review should be written after watching the movie, but I'm not so sure that many here wait to see a movie to read reviews. I haven't read any of the reviews for Star Trek, but know of Bradley's dislike from his posts in the Cinemania subforum. I just visit the critics section to take a quick glance at the grades given, but don't go into detail as I try to keep my viewing as spoiler free as possible.

That's why you see me making fun of Bullet to the Head just to tease you, but you won't find me criticizing the movie as I haven't seen it. And judging by the trailer and all players involved (Stallone and Hill especially), it will probably keep me entertained during its running time.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:40 pm
Forum General

A solid well made Sci Fi film that lacks the charm of ST 09

B+

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

It's shiny and expensive but the script is putrid and the lack of imagination, coupled with a fundamental misunderstanding of the franchise it imitates, make it a dud and a huge step down from the dopey but well-intentioned '09 reboot.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:17 pm
Extraordinary

Price wrote:
So it's bad for Bradley to have a white dude portraying an Asian guy in Star Trek, but it is ok for white dudes to portray Asians in Cloud Atlas?

In Cloud Atlas all of the actors portrayed characters of various ethnicities in different eras - - a deliberate comment on the nature of race made by the film...

...but then, the deeper meanings of Cloud Atlas seem to be beyond your grasp.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:09 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

...but then, the deeper meanings of Cloud Atlas seem to be beyond your grasp.

It took you 20 days to come with that, the most cliched reply... :lol:

Come on Bradley, you can do better than that...or maybe not...

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 am
Where will you be?

The troll is still hungry.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:31 pm
Extraordinary

I've been meaning to find the time to QFT some of the KJ gold quotes from this thread before people start waking up from the hype-notism and sheepishly delete their ravings.

I want to be able to come back in five years and enjoy all this nonsense in it's original form!

Riggs wrote:
One of the most exciting movies I've ever seen in a theater. This is awesome and fun from the first second till the last and it just goes up, up, up. The interaction between Kirk & Spock is still very well done and Cumberbatch is great as villain. The action is visually spectacular and just loads of fun. The last hour or so goes from one exciting sequence to an even more exciting sequence. It just doesn't stop. The movie is over two hours long but it feels more like less than half of that. A pretty much perfect big summer blockbuster. I can't stress out enough how exciting this movie was and how much I enjoyed it.
nghtvsn wrote:
Oh, I Loved the film. It was highly entertaining and the story was excellent. The nods to the original film series was just fantastic. I'm not gonna spoil nothing for once because it was just perfect. The actors were great although Kirk Spock Uhura dominate in terms of the crew this time. The rest are relegated to one liners mostly, but that was okay. The visuals were excellent and I loved the opening sequence. I can't imagine any Star Trek original series fan Not loving this picture and what Abrams was able to create. All I will say is please don't wait 4 damn years till the next one whomever is gonna be directing.

Grade - Absolute A
Mau wrote:
A

the best popcorn flick of the year so far.
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
...this movie is fucking awesome. The 3D is not only magnificent, but in my opinion a necessity to get the full experience. It's never too dim, and since things are constantly exploding you always have have something flying towards you. The Imax sound is also incredible. Well worth the $20.

The movie promises darkness, but it is really fun. It tackles some real world issues (morality of Osama's assassination for instance) , but it never gets too heavy. JJ Abrams has once again struck the perfect balance to appeal to all movie fans, not just Trek fans. A
Biggestgeekever wrote:
Pretty damn spectacular, I thought.
BJ wrote:
BJs Grade

A/A+

Competing with Trek 09 for my favorite Trek film. Absolutely amazing from beginning to end, retelling a classic story with perfection. Quinto was awesome, easily my favorite performance in the film, Cumberbatch was totally aces as Kahn. The rest of the cast was rock solid. Easily the best film of 2013 so far.
thompsoncory wrote:
It's fantastic. It's pretty much the perfect summer movie - Benedict Cumberbatch is a great villain and I found his character pretty fascinating. The action sequences are very well-staged and exciting, especially the final half hour or so, and the entire cast is as charming as ever. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana take center stage here as they did before (with Saldana getting a bit more to do this time around) and all three are great. Karl Urban and Simon Pegg deliver memorable supporting performances. The relationship between Kirk and Spock is still the heart of this entry, and a scene between them near the end rivals the opening scene of the first as one of the best and most moving scenes in the entire franchise. It's just an absolute blast and I can't wait to see it again. A
zingy wrote:
Awesome, awesome, awesome.
BMP wrote:
The film was fantastic, a bit messy but great....

Best film of the year so far for me, and pretty satisfied to see Abrams on Star Wars VII; though, I hope he comes back to make Star Trek 3!!!

A
jmovies wrote:
Even though I'm super hyped for Man of Steel, this film offered serious consideration for potential best blockbuster of the summer. A true blast of fun and a great form of entertainment. The first great film from 2013 that I've seen (though I haven't seen Mud or Pines yet).

...and of course, Dr. Lecter never did seem to find the time to put his official review on the record - - even though he lured KJer's into seeing it with his separate hype thread: So, Star Trek into Darkness was pretty damn good!. However, I won't be surprised to see him post a subdued review a few months down the road - - that seems to be his standard operating procedure - - Dr. Lecter always checks to see which way the crowd is turning before choosing his own direction.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:49 am
You must have big rats

Bradboy, go fuck yourself. If experiencing issues due to advanced age, try reading some negative LOTR or Star Trek reviews, they might get you hard enough.

And you can quote me on Star Trek into Darkness with an A- and still being the best blockbuster of the year.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Dr. Lecter always checks to see which way the crowd is turning before choosing his own direction.

LOL. That explains you!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Good film but lacks the Charm of St 09

B+

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:11 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Remember how people bitched that the last one felt like a TV pilot? That was a stupid complaint. I didn't understand that line of thinking.

But this one is something else. It is a movie that actually does feel like the traditional second episode of a TV show. Where, in case people missed the first episode because they were having family night at Perkins or something, networks have always mandated that it, rather than go somewhere new, simply reestablish the premise and characters and relationships, basically acting as a second pilot. Thats what this is.

All they did was remake the first one. Ghostbusters 2 syndrome. Its fast and funny and fairly exciting but on a conceptual level is totally baffling to me. Frustrating to watch and a waste of a good opportunity,

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:45 am
The Original

Saw it the first time now on Blu-Ray.

I say its damn entertaining like the first one but somehow the new Star Trek movies lack some epicness.

But ist a very good popcorn movie.

Though one thing is a bit confusing

Spoiler: show
at the end when Khan crashes the ship into the City 10000s must have died and its nowhere mentioned right?

maybe I missed it?

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:39 pm
You must have big rats

No, you didn't.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Damn the new federation must be a cold place.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:42 pm
loyalfromlondon

disappointing

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 pm
Extraordinary

Mods:

When you have a minute, can you please change the name of this thread to something more reflective of it's content.

I suggest:

Abrams Generic Entertainment Product #12

Thank-you.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:28 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

That's not the title of the movie, though.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 am
Ocarina of Time

Saw it on blu last weekend, such a great film!!!

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:39 pm
Extraordinary

This version of Star Trek Into Darkness, retold in it's entirety through screencaps, is an infinite improvement on the JJ screencrap version.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 am
Killing With Kindness

Watched again recently

Still an A

one of the best trek films ever

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Congrats to Star Trek Into Darkness, winner of the Worst Star Trek Movie Ever Made award!

Quote:
A vocal contingent wanted Star Trek Into Darkness listed worst, but a large group insisted this honor belonged to the dismal Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I agree with how the list turned out; while The Final Frontier is almost literally unwatchable (I turned it off halfway through the last two times I tried on Blu), it's at the very least original. Star Trek Into Darkness is a bad movie made badly that is also bad Star Trek and, worst of all, a cheap rehash of better things.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next