Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Star Trek Into Darkness 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 13 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

Star Trek Into Darkness 
Gamaur's sex slave

Post Re: Star Trek Into Darkness
So it's bad for Bradley to have a white dude portraying an Asian guy in Star Trek, but it is ok for white dudes to portray Asians in Cloud Atlas?

Sun May 19, 2013 7:36 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well, yeah.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun May 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Um, hispanic people can be white too, lets not forget that the Spanish are, um, WHITE, unless we're going by old 1800s terms, in which case only people from Northern Europe/non-Celtic origins are white.

Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Image He seems pretty white.

Wonder if Khan's blood was used on any of the countless thousands of people in San Francisco that were killed. Or just Kirk.

3.5/4 stars.

Last edited by Caius on Sun May 19, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 19, 2013 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Only Aryans of equal beauty.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm
You must have big rats

Caius wrote:

Wonder if Khan's blood was used on any of the countless thousands of people in San Francisco that were killed. Or just Kirk.

3.5/4 stars.

I assume it works only if you are not completely dead.

Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Effective only on people lightly dead.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm
Ocarina of Time

The film was fantastic, a bit messy but great. My biggest complain would be "Khan's last battle", instead of fighting Spock, I would have wanted to see Kirk using his new genetical powers against him in a epic brawl

Best film of the year so far for me, and pretty satisfied to see Abrams on Star Wars VII; though, I hope he comes back to make Star Trek 3!!!

A

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Even though I'm super hyped for Man of Steel, this film offered serious consideration for potential best blockbuster of the summer. A true blast of fun and a great form of entertainment. The first great film from 2013 that I've seen (though I haven't seen Mud or Pines yet).

Wed May 22, 2013 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

It was pretty good though I liked the first one a touch more. 8.5/10 (B+)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm
You must have big rats

Bluebomb wrote:
It was pretty good though I liked the first one a touch more. 8.5/10 (B+)

That is exactly how I feel.

Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

I'starting to see where Bradley is coming with his commentary on race. However, it kind of affirms how racist it is to think that a white latino is more "brown" than an Anglo-Saxon, not so much against Anglo-Saxons, but rather against non-white latinos and other actual "people of colour"

Sat May 25, 2013 9:30 pm
Pure Phase

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I'starting to see where Bradley is coming

Right into a tissue, I hope.

Sun May 26, 2013 4:23 pm
now we know

Seeing this tomorrow morning in damn 3D, and I haven't seen the first!!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Algren wrote:
Seeing this tomorrow morning in damn 3D, and I haven't seen the first!!

hope you like it :)

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Pretty dire. I was bored throughout most of the movie. Nothing really happens apart from a lot of space talk and blurry/lens flared long shots of Pine and the team. The cinematography is awful. The fights/action is not very good apart from a few epic-looking shots which aren't actually epic in tone due to the most flat score I've heard in years and uninteresting CGI.

Chris Pine was actually not bad as Kirk, and I prefer him as Kirk to Shatner. I thought the scene where Leonard Nimoy came on the screen was shit and eye-roll inducing. Zachary Qinto was a carbon copy of Nimoy, sure, but I hated his character and the way he played him. The best thing about the movie was Scotty and Khan. Both Brits, of course. Khan was played well and was really the type of villain that Loki should have been in The Avengers series. Scotty was funny and I was impressed with Pegg's Scottish accent.

The story was pretty basic, but that didn't bother me. I thought it was pretty terrible how Khan started working in alliance with Kirk at one point (or so Kirk thought), and then how Spock turns into action man and is running, jumping and fighting like Jason Bourne. It's ridiculous. I don't think Abrams is a good director. Despite all the apparent danger, I never felt for one second that any of the crew were in danger. The faux suspense didn't work on me.

The start of the movie, in the volcano, leading up to Khan blasting Star Fleet HQ, all of that was good and watchable, but after that I slowly became bored. The battle on Kronos wasn't very good and Khan had to help them out, which was stupid. The Clingons weren't very good either. They were supposed to be such a force in the Universe, which is why Star Fleet tries to avoid an all-out war with them, but then Khan disposed of them within minutes. So why couldn't Star Fleet just employ loads of Khan-type species to kill them all. The head of Star Fleet's daughter was exrtemely ugly. They could have picked someone better looking, and the girl from Avatar was rubbish. Urban's metaphors, lol, and Pine's line was good: "and stop using those metaphors".

Overall, not a good movie. If I hadn't slept so much last night, I would have fallen asleep in the movie.

D

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:43 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Oh, and the 3D is worthless.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
While we're at it... how did Khan Noonien Singh turn into a white guy?

It's a remake, man. Let it go.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The funniest part was when Spock shouts "KHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!".

Cringeworthy.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:30 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Here is an insightful review that captures much of what went wrong with STiD...

Quote:
I see anything Star Trek as a matter of lifelong habit, and don't mind J.J. Abrams' rich kid versions--as long as I'm not bored while watching them. But I lost interest in this one about half-way through. It is too formulaic not to be predictable, the hyperrealism of the refitted 1960s characters loses its novelty, the randomized emotional shifts become tiring, and the pile up action sequences get too relentless and implausible to be entertaining. There are moments of funny writing, and the total lack of originality is supposed to be a feature not a bug, so I often enjoyed the accents and personality quirks I remember from watching the first series as a kid. But the core group, led by the Boy Kirk, is too frat house to be very interesting, their girl sidekick less important than, say, Storm in the X-Men, and the male friendship issues repetitive and adolescent. Other reviewers have pointed out the CGI overkill, and that the somewhat desperate action sequences are coupled with a general emotional immaturity (one reviewer called it kill-cry-kill-cry). Both are true, and the result is that Abrams has come full circle not so much to the Saturday Matinée 2.0 as created by George Lucas, but to the cartoon, where implausibility and even idiocy are supposed to be part of the fun. One unintentionally hilarious sequence involves the Boy Kirk kicking some machinery until it works, and my movie date pointed out that this is a kind of metaphor for the film itself.

On to the "liberal philosophy" that someone points out is another of the film's direct borrowingsfrom the 1960s version. The movie is wrapped around the Global War on Terror: there's a conflict between using Starfleet for military or for exploratory purposes. You can guess which side the good guys are on. But everything in the film is threat and response to threat. The positions are (1) kill first, because they are coming to kill you, or (2) kill, but only in self defense. In contrast, the 60s show was full of cultural differences, philosophical divergence, emotional incomprehension, and an interesting fact about human life, which is that in many situations that matter most, "you're both right." 1960s Trek focused repeatedly on a situation in which the crew *believes* they face a military threat, but discover that it's not a military threat, and in fact not a threat at all. Seeing a threat turns a complicated counter into a threat, and that deeply militaristic habit of seeing threats becomes the source of the problem. In the current film, we have two positions: GWOT is regrettable (cry) tied to GWOT is inevitable (kill). In the original show, the GWOT frame would have turned out to be a mass delusion, while this film can't really imagine that things are *not* what they appear to be. So there isn't anything really to think about while you're waiting for the overblown action to die down, and by hour 2, I wanted it to stop.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:41 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Bradley, do you suffer reading comprehension problems?

Here is the first description for this sub forum:
Everyone's A Critic
This is the place to give us YOUR reviews on the movies you have seen. Discussion of movies is welcomed, but please do not comment if you have not previously seen the movie! Spoilers are ALLOWED inside.

Please notice the first word that is written in capital letters. And before you ask me where my review is, movie opens here on July 5th, so if I decide to express my opinion in public, it will be after that date.
In the meantime, I only care for YOUR review and for the reviews of the other WOKJ members. If I want to find out what others say, I still have enough energy to move my lazy ass by myself, and I can do the searches likewise.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14 am
now we know

I think reviews criticising this new franchise for not being like the original TV series or movies are unfair and really clutching at straws. That's personal preference. This is a remake. Things are bound to be different. If things were identical, it wouldn't be a remake.

"It's not like the 60s show" is not a criticism for me. It's an observation.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I liked it more than the first film and it'll be tough to beat this Summer. A-

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
I think reviews criticising this new franchise for not being like the original TV series or movies are unfair and really clutching at straws.

If you toss out all of the essential attributes of the original franchise, all that remains is the name brand which is only retained for it's power to sell seats. It's like remaking the Mission: Impossible TV series and ditching the classic formula (oh wait... that's already been done).

Algren wrote:
That's personal preference.

As in: "I want a Star Trek movie that retains none of the fundamental characteristics of the entire previous franchise, dressed up with superficial style cues and funny character impersonations!"

Algren wrote:
This is a remake. Things are bound to be different. If things were identical, it wouldn't be a remake.

I was more bothered by the things that were practically identical - - just poorly done, with no glimmer of understanding of their intent and significance.

Algren wrote:
"It's not like the 60s show" is not a criticism for me. It's an observation.

Yes, similar to your other observations regarding this movie:

Algren wrote:
Star Trek Into Darkness

Pretty dire. I was bored throughout most of the movie. Nothing really happens apart from a lot of space talk and blurry/lens flared long shots of Pine and the team. The cinematography is awful. The fights/action is not very good apart from a few epic-looking shots which aren't actually epic in tone due to the most flat score I've heard in years and uninteresting CGI....

Overall, not a good movie. If I hadn't slept so much last night, I would have fallen asleep in the movie.

D

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 am
Pure Phase

The 21st century does not have time for colorblind, upbeat, peace-and-love, let's-explore-space,-lads bullshit. We want blood and cynicism, and we want it now.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next