Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Star Trek Into Darkness 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 13 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

Star Trek Into Darkness 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Into Darkness

Quote:
Star Trek Into Darkness is a 2013 American science fiction action film produced by Bad Robot Productions, K/O Paper Products, Skydance Productions and distributed by Paramount Pictures. It is the twelfth Star Trek film and serves as the sequel to 2009's Star Trek. J. J. Abrams directed a screenplay written by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof, based on the series of the same name created by Gene Roddenberry. Lindelof, Orci, Kurtzman and Abrams also serve as producers, along with Bryan Burk. Chris Pine reprises his role as Captain James T. Kirk, with Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg, John Cho, and Bruce Greenwood reprising their roles from the previous film. Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Weller and Alice Eve round out the film's principal cast.

After the release of Star Trek, Abrams, Burk, Lindelof, Kurtzman and Orci signed up to produce the film. In 2011, the supporting cast was rounded out with Cumberbatch, Weller and Eve brought in to portray key roles. Filming began in January 2012. The film was shot entirely in California. The film's visual effects were handled by Industrial Light & Magic.

The film was converted to 3D in post-production. Star Trek Into Darkness premiered at Event Cinemas in Sydney on April 23, 2013 and is scheduled to be released on May 9, 2013 in Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and parts of Europe, Peru with other countries following. Mexico next day on May 10. The film is scheduled for release on May 16, 2013 in the United States, with IMAX opening one day earlier.

Thu May 09, 2013 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Post Re: Star Trek Into Darkness
One of the most exciting movies I've ever seen in a theater. This is awesome and fun from the first second till the last and it just goes up, up, up. The interaction between Kirk & Spock is still very well done and Cumberbatch is great as villain. The action is visually spectacular and just loads of fun. The last hour or so goes from one exciting sequence to an even more exciting sequence. It just doesn't stop. The movie is over two hours long but it feels more like less than half of that. A pretty much perfect big summer blockbuster. I can't stress out enough how exciting this movie was and how much I enjoyed it.

Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Trailers I'll never trust again. The trek into the bay is a pure lie.

Other then that yes its excellent. It's a Khan origin tale in essence, and done very well. Plus its full of trek references, a film which acknowledges its origins far more then trek 09.

Sat May 11, 2013 7:11 am
Wall-E

Gulli wrote:

It's a Khan origin tale in essence, and done very well racistly.

Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

90% on RT.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 13, 2013 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Skyblade wrote:
Gulli wrote:

It's a Khan origin tale in essence, and done very well racistly.

Why? Only because he's white now?

Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Yeah, that's not racist at all.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

really enjoyed, though it is getting RIDICULOUS how much Hollywood is still ripping off THE DARK KNIGHT! The film is 5 years old and cumby's villain is a more blatant rip off than Skyfalls villlain!
Nolan is god.

Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 pm
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
really enjoyed, though it is getting RIDICULOUS how much Hollywood is still ripping off THE DARK KNIGHT! The film is 5 years old and cumby's villain is a more blatant rip off than Skyfalls villlain!
Nolan is god.

What? How?

Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 am
Extraordinary

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Oh, I Loved the film. It was highly entertaining and the story was excellent. The nods to the original film series was just fantastic. I'm not gonna spoil nothing for once because it was just perfect. The actors were great although Kirk Spock Uhura dominate in terms of the crew this time. The rest are relegated to one liners mostly, but that was okay. The visuals were excellent and I loved the opening sequence. I can't imagine any Star Trek original series fan Not loving this picture and what Abrams was able to create. All I will say is please don't wait 4 damn years till the next one whomever is gonna be directing.

Grade - Absolute A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 am
Forum General

Lots of praise here.

I thought it was good. It felt at times like they were trying too hard with the one liners (and several missed the mark). Some worked, but it annoyed me when some came off flat. The action and effects are awesome, though some of the action seemed repetitive. The 3D was done excellently though. For me it just seemed to be lacking something the original had.

To be fair, I am a HUGE fan of origin stories, so the first in a series is usually my favorite. This is why I am so looking forward to Man of Steel.

I didn't get the same sense of awe coming from the crowd. They seemed relatively into it most of the movie, but by the end they just seemed meh.

B/B+

Trailers

Elysium
Ender's Game
Lone Ranger
Despicable Me 2 - The only one with a really good reaction.
World War Z

Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

A

the best popcorn flick of the year so far.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 am
Killing With Kindness

Mau wrote:
A

the best popcorn flick of the year so far.

:happy:

Thu May 16, 2013 1:40 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

*Spoilers*

I'm actually a little disappointed it was Khan. It was so obvious all along, yet they went through such trouble to try and keep it a secret. I really don't understand the reasoning behind that, and was hoping for something completely unexpected to justify the secrecy.

That being said, this movie is fucking awesome. The 3D is not only magnificent, but in my opinion a necessity to get the full experience. It's never too dim, and since things are constantly exploding you always have have something flying towards you. The Imax sound is also incredible. Well worth the $20.

The movie promises darkness, but it is really fun. It tackles some real world issues (morality of Osama's assassination for instance) , but it never gets too heavy. JJ Abrams has once again struck the perfect balance to appeal to all movie fans, not just Trek fans. A

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 am
The Kramer

Oh I did think it ended a little abruptly. Sure Khan had just crashed a ship into the Earth and took a dozen point blank phaser blasts. It still seemed like he went down too easily. And Kirk is back to life just as quickly. Could have used another five to ten minutes to flesh out the aftermath of Khan's final attack.

Thu May 16, 2013 2:04 am
I heet the canadian!

Pretty damn spectacular, I thought. Outside of one scene which I'm not even sure qualifies as fan service so much as someone's weird idea of a joke.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:02 am
Forum General

Hmm... I am actually thinking about checking this out in 3D. :thumbsup:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 16, 2013 11:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

The 3D is worthless.

Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 am
The Kramer

My Bloody Valentine, Avatar, How To Train Your Dragon, Prometheus, Star Trek Into Darkness - the only ones I've seen where the 3D actually helped the movies.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:53 pm
Extraordinary

STiD turns out to be nothing more than a brittle parody of TOS - - it's Team America: World Police (minus the music and humor).

The pacing is ridiculous - - it's Keystonesque. The story has dumped all that philosophy and psychology nonsense of the real franchise and turned it into an ADD brainless action flick. Since the main characters are cultural icons, the actors get away with the most simplistic gurning and shorthand impressions. Nimoy is a snagging anchor.

Maybe if the third one ditches the pretense of being a true Star Trek movie and goes full on 60's Batman camp, I might be able to imagine getting back aboard the Enterprise, but this movie ain't Star Trek, it is - - as the dialogue kept repeating - - shit.

0.00001 out of 5

Thu May 16, 2013 11:10 pm
now we know

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
0.00001 out of 5

Worst movie ever?

Must be pretty close with that grade.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I'll be honest. I loved the first Star Trek film, and a film series in general. After the 09 reboot not only gave a fresh perspective with kickass effects and an awesome cast, the thing that surprised me the most that as simple and entertaining it was, it also shook the foundation of Trek and threw it into a new bold arena. After four years, all I can really say I was expecting more than such a safe sequel that really does nothing but retell one of the more popular stories. I laughed and had a good time watching it, but seriously how can so many people think this is even one of the better trek films. Probably the amazing effects and the actors still being great did it, and it retold a classic and modernized it slightly but wow, this needed to be made earlier.

I think my biggest complaint is that the actors stories are almost the same as the first film. Kirk is still seen as incompetent (He loses his command and gets it back in a matter of minutes.) Spock deals with his human and vulcan side (Now in a not so happy relationship) and Scotty, Sulu, and Checkov all basically do nothing throughout the film after all having pivitol roles in the first film) Once regenerative blood comes into play the film loses the dramatic punch it was trying to recapture. All of the new stuff was extremely intriguing but was completely put on the back burner in favor or familiar trek told for mass audiences.

Spoiler: show
Kahn is great as usual, though it's really just molding his original story on the series with Part II. All of this talk with all out war with the Klingons was something never really explored in Trek, and I was hoping for a big battle, but surprisingly they never showed up in the end.

And I think they missed a major opportunity the original films series took

Spoiler: show
I think they could have really made an epic film by letting Kahn get away, because the Klingons came about and war began. Kirk should have been placed in cryo while they deal with a far greater threat, giving him a han solo or Spock cliffhanger, and then the crew goes on a vendetta for another film to get the regenerative blood to bring him back.

That being said, this is no odd numbered trek film of all. It just doesn't do anything new, but it's still exciting, great effects, music and I'm still wanting more. But as said earlier, after all of the mishandled starfleet politics and impending Klingon attack, them riding into the sunset like in the first film is kind of just iffy. I hoped trek continued to boldly go in new directions as the reboot. And can I say no one screams like William Shatner!

B+ for entertainment. I gave the first an A+. Iron Man 3 is much more satisfying.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 17, 2013 12:37 am
Extraordinary

You think Scotty had nothing to do in this film but had a pivotal role in the first? ...wha? :blink:

Quote:
but seriously how can so many people think this is even one of the better trek films.

Because, of the twelve TREK films, six of them are THE MOTION PICTURE, THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK, THE FINAL FRONTIER, GENERATIONS, INSURRECTION, and NEMESIS.

Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 am

Generations and Nemesis are underrated, and Search For Spock is almost unanimously the only odd number that doesn't fall short. 2-4 is when the series was at it's most consistent.

I just personally think Scotty was more important in this film, and they didn't build on it enough in this one. Don't get me wrong, I loved his scenes in this movie, but I personally found his firing scene more endearing then any of the scenes with Spock. He brought a nice sense of morals that Kirk really began to question himself. Then they make up over the phone a half hour later. I wish the relationship they built on being outsiders in the first film was explored more in this one. I mean, Scotty didn't even do anything engineering wise. He kind of just continuously was saved by someone in this film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 am

Time for Ranks so early on I'm sure.

1. First Contact A+
2. Wrath of kahn A+
3. Star Trek A+
4. Undiscovered Country A
5. Voyage Home A
6. Search for Spock A-
7. Generations B+
8. Into Darkness B+
9. Nemesis B
10. Insurrection C+
11. The Motion Picture C
12. The Final Frontier C-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 17, 2013 1:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next