Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Mou gaan dou [Infernal Affairs] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Mou gaan dou [Infernal Affairs] 
College Boy Z

Post Mou gaan dou [Infernal Affairs]
Infernal Affairs

Quote:
Infernal Affairs is a 2002 Hong Kong crime-thriller film directed by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak. It tells the story of a police officer who infiltrates the triads, and a police officer secretly working for the same gang. The Chinese title means "the non-stop path", a reference to Avici, the lowest level of hell in Buddhism. The English title is a word play combining the law enforcement term "internal affairs" with the adjective infernal. Due to its commercial and critical success, Infernal Affairs was followed by a prequel, Infernal Affairs II, and a sequel, Infernal Affairs III, both released in 2003, as well as a 2006 American remake, The Departed.

Pre-release publicity for Infernal Affairs focused on its star-studded cast (Andy Lau, Tony Leung, Anthony Wong, Eric Tsang, Kelly Chen and Sammi Cheng), but it later received critical acclaim for its original plot and its concise and swift storytelling style. The film did exceptionally well in Hong Kong, where it was considered "a box office miracle" and heralded as a revival of Hong Kong cinema which at the time was considered to be direly lacking in creativity.
The film features all the members of the Hong Kong Cantopop group EO2, playing triad boss Hon Sam's men. One member of this group subsequently became a lead actor (Osman Hung).

Miramax Films acquired the United States distribution rights of this film and gave it a limited U.S. theatrical release in 2004.

The Infernal Affairs series was then remade by Martin Scorsese in 2006 as The Departed, which went on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:31 am
Extraordinary

Maybe it's just that I'm not a fan of crime films but I wasn't a big fan of this one. It's a good movie though.

- B/B-

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:32 am
Indiana Jones IV

this was the movie that blown me away in 2002. it's a truly awesome masterpiece. till now i've seen it more than 10 times. i like the idea it's very original. and the cast are perfect. =D> =D> =D> it's one of the best chinese language movie in my whole life. Infernal Affairs is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. i highly reccomend this movie for all those who haven't seen it.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:07 am
Profile ICQ WWW
You must have big rats

Infernal Affairs pretty much blew me away and instantly became one of my all-time favorite foreign films as well as probably my #1 Hong-Kong movie ever made. I am very anxious to see how Scorsese does with the remake of the film. I don't really expect it to top the original.

Infernal Affairs is easily the best "cop-thriller" since L.A. Confidential. It is very well-directed and splendidly acted by the lead Tony Leung in the role of a cop working undercover in the triad for over ten years. Andy Lau is decent, playing his counterpart, but he just pales in comparison to Leung. Another excellent bit of acting is delivered by Anthony Wong as the chief of the police and Eric Tsang as the triad boss Sam. Their interaction with each other is great. I am wondering if Nicholson/Sheen can pull off the same interacting.

The movie is a great and dramatic thriller with a great ending. The final part really took me off-guard and was very smart. I am glad the film didn't chicken out and went for a harsh ending. It is really well-done overall. My only complaint would be is that it is kind of slow midway and that the relationships of the two leads with their women are underdeveloped. Other than that, it is a great and smart thriller that is a must-see for every film fan. See this before The Departed comes out!

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:51 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

I enjoyed this film and would grade it B+. I agree Tony Leung is excellent as the undercover cop.I would also recommend Infernal Affairs 2 which while a sequel deals with events that take place before Infernal Affairs. IA2 is also excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing IA3 soon.

FYI- Scorsese's The Departed is a remake of Infernal Affairs and it's two sequels IA2 and IA3.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Infernal Affairs III isn't that great, IMO. Even though it was nominated for 7 Hong Kong Film Awards in 2004, it was mainly due to the strength of the previous two, being released in the same year as the second one (II was nominated for 12 awards), and the general lack of quality for the year.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Infernal Affairs III isn't that great, IMO. Even though it was nominated for 7 Hong Kong Film Awards in 2004, it was mainly due to the strength of the previous two, being released in the same year as the second one (II was nominated for 12 awards), and the general lack of quality for the year.

I would still like to see it, just to round up the trilogy. The original was great and to my utter surprise the sequel was almost equally strong.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A very good crime film but a bit overrated IMO, the ending is great though.

B

Last edited by neo_wolf on Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

A good solid crime drama. Nothing amazing, I don't get all the raves about it as if it's something really rare or special, but it's a pleasant good movie.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:54 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

In my top 10 all-time.

9.5/10; A+

I just sat there in shock after watching it.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:58 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

xiayun wrote:

I would still like to see it, just to round up the trilogy. The original was great and to my utter surprise the sequel was almost equally strong.

Yeah, I need to see it as well. The sequel was good enough to enter my top 30.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:59 am
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

A good solid crime drama. Nothing amazing, I don't get all the raves about it as if it's something really rare or special, but it's a pleasant good movie.

Well, when was the last time this plot was utililised or such an uncompromising ending was used?

I agree that this is not a perfect film (thus my A-), but in its genre, considering all the predecessors and genre conventions, it is pretty much as good as it can get. It stays away from most clichés of the typical films of this genre. The four main cast members were picked perfectly. Tony Leung is great as the plagued undercover cop and (a usually somewhat blander) Andy Lau is a good counterpart to him who wants to start his life anew. In such films you almost always see the undercover cop who gets tangled in the crime scene and eventualy wants to stay part of it. In this one, it is different. Tony Leung's cop wants out and he does not sympathize with the triads (at least not with most of the members). He could care less for the pleas of Andy Lau's character. Any Lau is the one who wants to start a new life. This is an unusual turn.

Then of course the pairing of the detective and the triads boss. Anthony Wong and Eric Tsang play off each other very very well. You see that there is a distinct relationship between the two, that they are enemies, but you know that at some point they used to be closer friends than it would ever seem.

Not to forget all the twists and turns. The police chief murdered, then Lau's character killing his own boss and the very ending which is tragic and makes you feel bad for Leung's character, but somehow leaves you satisfied that Andy Lau was not busted and that he will be a genuinely good cop from now on.

That all in all is just a great mixture and the reason why it is being praised so much.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:24 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

After the amazing first cat-and-mouse sequence, I remembered sitting there stunned and wondered how nobody had thought of such idea before.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:32 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

How closely is The Departed going to resemble this?

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:36 am
You must have big rats

Hmm, according to the trailer alone, quite closely, I'd say. I read the ending was altered a bit, though (surprise surprise).

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:

Hmm, according to the trailer alone, quite closely, I'd say. I read the ending was altered a bit, though (surprise surprise).

I've never seen Infernal Affaris, so I'm not sure why the ending is so shocking and why it might need to be altered for American audiences. You can spoil it if you want. :biggrin:

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:42 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
makeshift wrote:

I've never seen Infernal Affaris, so I'm not sure why the ending is so shocking and why it might need to be altered for American audiences. You can spoil it if you want. :biggrin:

No, there are just some films where it isn't worth it, spoiling the ending and I really recommend you not to spoil it for yourself either.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
makeshift wrote:

No, there are just some films where it isn't worth it, spoiling the ending and I really recommend you not to spoil it for yourself either.

Hmmm.

If the ending is *that* good, I really hope the Departed doesn't change it too much, because I'll probably see that before I get a chance to see Infernal Affairs.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:00 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
makeshift wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
makeshift wrote:

Hmmm.

If the ending is *that* good, I really hope the Departed doesn't change it too much, because I'll probably see that before I get a chance to see Infernal Affairs.

Try to see Infernal Affairs first (It's probably available through Netflix if you use that) because if The Departed keeps the current ending, it is a worse one than in Infernal Affairs :)

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Saw this again yesterday in anticipation of The Departed, it was just as good as I remembered it to be (still an A-) and The Departed has a lot to live up to

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:33 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Mou gaan dou [Infernal Affairs]
Infernal Affairs

I preferred this to The Departed. Probably because I watched it before The Departed, but I still found it very engrossing and the two main stars are better suited to their roles, although don't get me wrong, Leo and Damon are also well suited, but I felt that Lau and Leung are just that little bit more watchable and believeable in their roles (and likeable; Leung, dislikeable; Lau). I do need to get around to watching part II, not so much part III.

A

The Departed: A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Mou gaan dou [Infernal Affairs]
Watched it again after a few years, and it's definitely one of the all-time best Hong Kong films.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]