Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Eighth Grade 

Rate this film:
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Eighth Grade 
Pure Phase

Post Eighth Grade

Quote:
Eighth Grade is a 2018 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Bo Burnham, in his feature-film directorial debut.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:29 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Eighth Grade
A sensational coming-of-age film. With a just-right tone and viewpoint (two parts observational and sympathetic, one part amused and mordant), it explores adolescent anxiety and yearning in the age of social media. It recreates feelings of junior-high insecurity so vividly and at times with a downright nauseating suspense befitting the end-of-the-world gravity of a perceived social faux pas in the eyes of a young teenager. 15-year-old Elsie Fisher delivers a natural and moving lead performance; there is a sense, similar to, say, Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone or Carey Mulligan in An Education, of a great actress emerging entirely formed (even though her character is anything but) and ready for stardom. Character actor Josh Hamilton is also quite good and charismatic as her perplexed, but enormously compassionate father; as written and performed, his role reminds me of Michael Stuhlbarg's in Call Me by Your Name.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:32 pm
The Kramer

This is only a buck rental on iTunes this week if anyone is interested.

It is an umm like very awkward and um like occasionally very ummm funny coming of age like comedy. People ummm talk like ummm this the whole like movie. And while ummm that is probably like authentic its ummm kind of annoying like after awhile. There are a few like standout scenes that unmm make it all like worth it. My umm favorite was like at the ummmm pool party and I ummm like how it is frammed like ummm a horror movie scene. It felt like ummm unique but whatever it’s not that cool, you’re cool. And while I’d like ummm go with Ladybird if you haven’t like seen either, but this movie is like ummm retty solid too. But whatever you know.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 pm
Indiana Jones IV

yeah.... mostly what David and Gamaur said..... excellent movie portraying modern adolescence in authenticity, which has the effect of touching something universal, I think.... one of the best movies of the year.

A

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:21 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

It's fantastic.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]