Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 On the Road 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

On the Road 
loyalfromlondon

Post On the Road
On the Road

Quote:
On the Road (French: Sur la route) is a 2012 film adaptation of the Jack Kerouac cult classic novel of the same name. It is a Brazilian-French-UK-US co-production, directed by Walter Salles and starring Sam Riley as Sal Paradise and Garrett Hedlund as Dean Moriarty. It is being executive produced by Francis Ford Coppola. Filming began on August 4, 2010, in Montreal, Canada, with a $25 million budget.

The story is based on the years Kerouac spent travelling the United States in the 1940s with his friend Neal Cassady and several other figures who would go on to fame in their own right, including William S. Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg.

On May 23, 2012, the film premiered in competition for the Palme d'Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. The film received mixed early reviews after it premiered at the film festival.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: On the Road
Thanks to the source material, On the Road remains generally engaging through-out its 2 hour length. However, for the same reason it ends up episodic and lacks structure. We don't get a sense of what the 20-something Beatniks are rebelling against so it lacks the substance it was perhaps trying to convey. Cinematography is great and the acting ranges from good (Riley, Stewart) to great (Hedland). Hedland effortlessly brings Dean Moriaty to the screen and is the real star of the film (even though Sal Paradise narrates).

Some things just plainly do not work - like the odd and out of place Steve Buscemi cameo and the sub-plot revolving around Carlo Marx.

Overall a decent adaptation but could have been much better.

Grade: B-

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a dull, pretentious mess. I had a similar problem with it that I did with Beasts Of The Southern Wild, in that I absolutely hated every single main character. I can't identify at all with the whole 'bohemian-hipster' style of life every character seems to strive for here and their actions frustrated me to no end. I felt awful for characters played by Kirsten Dunst and Elisabeth Moss who kept having to put up with them. A lot of really great actors are wasted in incredibly small roles (Amy Adams has maybe 5 lines), and Sam Riley isn't a very appealing lead. Garrett Hedlund was great despite my complete dislike for his character, it's easily the best performance I've seen from him. Kristen Stewart was just there. She actually didn't even have that much to do, which makes it all the more surprising that IFC was pushing so hard for an Oscar nomination for her. I thought she sold one emotional scene well but was horrible in another (when Dean leaves them in California). It's a forgettable performance though. The film is also reasonably well-photographed, but goes on forever. I couldn't wait for it to end. C

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:53 pm
Profile YIM
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
What about it struck you as pretentious?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]