Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Lawless 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Lawless 
loyalfromlondon

Post Lawless
Lawless

Quote:
Lawless is a 2012 gangster film directed by John Hillcoat based on Matt Bondurant's 2008 novel The Wettest County in the World about his grandfather and great-uncles in Prohibition-era Franklin County, Virginia. The novel was adapted into a screenplay by Nick Cave, and the film stars Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Mia Wasikowska, Jessica Chastain, Jason Clarke and Guy Pearce. The film competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:00 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Lawless
This isn't an entirely "structured" review because I have been a bit busy and distracted with the fall semester starting, but here goes:

It is a fantastic blend of the gangster film and the revisionist Western.

I dig how it does not try to be epic. This is the downfall of many historical films. Australia, for example. It twists and reaches and flips to always place its main characters and their love story in the center of the historic action, and it just becomes engorged and ungraceful. Lawless, on the other hand, is fine with the fact its story is largely limited to a handful of winding roads, a dense forest, a few bootleggers, and a federal agent. It dives into this misplaced and unusual corner of 20th-century American history and brings it to vivid cinematic life.

The film is recognizable as John Hillcoat's (The Proposition, The Road) in the way it captures both the ferocity and the majesty of the natural world. One key scene, for example, unfolds on a snowy evening outside the main characters' house and store. The image of the snow quietly covering the road and nearby forest is beautiful, but the viewer can also sense just how desolate and unforgiving this place can be. The film is also a change of pace for Hillcoat, though, in how hilarious it often is. The Road has to be one of the most deadly serious major movies of the last 20 years, as it should be, but here he lets in a macabre sense of humor and a strong hint of pulp adventure. The film has particular fun with the way the myths and local legends are born and evolve.

The acting is as top-notch as one would expect from this ensemble cast. Shia LaBeouf has always been the wild car (can the star of Transformers and Eagle Eye hold his own against Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, and Guy Pearce?), but, in my opinion at least, he delivers his best performance to date here, no contest. His image almost reflects his character, who is a bit naive and unseasoned and anxious to prove his courage and masculinity to his more formidable brothers and a stylish gangster from the city, played by Oldman in a brief, but commanding role reminiscent of William Hurt's in A History of Violence.

Hardy further reinforces his sterling reputation. It is interesting to regard what he does here so soon after playing Bane in Christopher Nolan's third Batman film: the imposing physicality is the same, but it is now tempered by a subtle sensitivity and concern. This is a character capable of both lethal violence and tender warmth. Pearce perhaps steals the entire show as the antagonist, a perfumed, sadistic, and vain special deputy. He creates a genuine movie monster, a character audiences will truly despise, fear, and hope to see punished. As LaBeouf and Hardy's respective love interests, Mia Wasikowska and Jessica Chastain contribute a degree of delicate warmth to an often violent film.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

What was the point of Oldman's character?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Caius wrote:
What was the point of Oldman's character?

To show how gangsters were perceived by a disenfranchised and imaginative public (including LaBeouf's impressionable character) at the time.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:24 pm
loyalfromlondon

Needed more Oldman, less LaBeouf.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:58 am
Pure Phase

Shia is fantastic in this.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:10 am
Waitress in LA

Very good movie. Definitely in my top 5 of the year so far. Everyone in the cast was great, though I have to give the edge to Hardy over Pearce. Pearce was an amazing transformation...I think...I haven't seen many of his movies, but Hardy's characterization was more enjoyable to watch. Those little grunts killed me every time. Would have loved more Oldman, but his character probably served the story well by just giving it a small amount of screen time. I very much approve this tactic of casting amazing actors in small roles (ha, that sounds weird to say...)

Only thing I didn't like so much were the musical montages, but other than that...

A

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I love the epilogue in this film. So melancholy, low-key, and touching.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:16 pm
You are waiting for a train

Not bad, not as good as it could have been. It's riddled with cliches but the performances make them work. Guy Pearce is going to haunt my nightmares.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:12 pm
Sbil

Gopher wrote:
Not bad, not as good as it could have been. It's riddled with cliches but the performances make them work. Guy Pearce is going to haunt my nightmares.

I basically agree with this post, although I'd label it more "solid" than "not bad." It's a good and entertaining picture overall that ends up feeling not quite as epic as it could/should have been. Still, though, the attention to detail is nice and the acting is terrific across the board: Shia LaBeouf has never been better, Tom Hardy is wonderful, Guy Pearce is menacing as hell, and Jessica Chastain is entrancing. B

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:19 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It is quite good. The film takes a little while to get going but once it finds its footing it becomes a thrill to watch. I will say that I felt Hardy lacked a little bit at times but LaBeouf and Chastain make up for it.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Quite a good film. It's the sort of film that can grow on me more than being a type of film that instantly wows me. It has brilliant music, which is probably the best part, well, it's on par with Guy Pearce's and Gary Oldman's performance. They did a superb job. Shia Labeouf was good too. He seemed to grow on me as the film neared its close. Jessica Chastain is one hot beauty in this, and she has a fine body with a gorgeous pair. The violence was great, especially when Rakes was giving Jack a beating early on and when Forrest sorted those two guys out with his knuckle-duster in his bar. I liked how the bridge faded to dark at the end as Rakes got stopped. I also liked Oldman's wink at Labeouf near the start after just shooting a car to shit.

Tom Hardy was the worst part about the movie. If he's acting as the older one, then he needs to have looked older, but he didn't. It just looked like he was trying to put it on all the time like an old man. I didn't like how he played the Forrest Bondurant character. My second annoyance is also regarding his character, but it's a script/directors error; he got his throat slit earlier on and then he got shot 3 times (once near the heart and twice more on the torso) but he survived after only 2 weeks in hospital. He should have died to make the film better and more realistic. I can overlook Jack Bondurant getting shot then being able to walk and kill Rakes at the end, but the violence inflicted on Forrest throughout is too great to overlook. Hardy's voice pissed me off too. My last niggle is that they should have put up months and years on screen to show the audience that time had passed because sometimes it was clear that time had passed but it was too late into the scene and I think indicating that would've made my experience more enjoyable.

Hillcoat should have given Oldman more screen time and Hardy less (should've died at the throat slit). A huge improvement over The Road which I liked but was disappointing. I had fun watching this, but it's not the masterpiece it could have been. Still waiting for that modern day prohibition-era/gangster masterpiece.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I am glad you enjoyed the film, Algren.

For the record, Forrest is not the eldest Bondurant brother. He has to become the leader because of his older brother's alcoholism and general instability.

And he truly did survive a gunshot and having his throat cut, as well as being crushed by lumber, though this is not featured in the film. There is no way they were going to cut this piece of colorful history in full, particularly when the film in general is so fascinated with the way local mythology is generated and utilized.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:12 pm
Forum General

I always meant to talk about this movie as it was on my top 10 of 2012, but yeah I really enjoyed it. Hardy was very badass and the acting for the most part is fantastic. I especially loved how vile and creepy Guy Pearce was in this. I hated his character and couldn't wait to see him get what he deserved. I just wish there was more Garry Oldman in it. I mean he was in it for like what 5 minutes ? Sucks, because I definitely wanted to see more of his character and was hoping he would at least show up towards the end.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm
now we know

David wrote:

For the record, Forrest is not the eldest Bondurant brother. He has to become the leader because of his older brother's alcoholism and general instability.

And he truly did survive a gunshot and having his throat cut, as well as being crushed by lumber, though this is not featured in the film. There is no way they were going to cut this piece of colorful history in full, particularly when the film in general is so fascinated with the way local mythology is generated and utilized.

I thought that might be the case. He got his throat cut and survived, that's pretty great, but the way it got cut in the film (and the amount of blood he lost at the scene), I'm just surprised he survived - usually in the film world that would indicate that he's a goner. They sort of hacked at his throat with a sawing action too, and I just found it unbelievable is all - especially at a time when healthcare wasn't great and he was miles from a hospital. I certainly wouldn't have wanted it to be cut from the film, but perhaps if the scene was less gruesome it may have convinced me that there was a chance of survival for him. Perhaps a little slit would have been more appropriate, and then not having Hardy hold the wound - it kind of looked like Hardy was holding a bag of fake blood.

But overall I did have a good time watching it. And I absolutely hated Rakes, which Guy Pearce gave a tremendous performance. I wish that his demise wasn't in the dark, though.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Still waiting for that modern day prohibition-era/gangster masterpiece.

Perhaps Ben Affleck's next film, Live by Night, will be what I'm waiting for. It's by the Gone Baby Gone author, and everybody loved that movie, so it might be good. I'm going to watch Gone Baby Gone later now I've heard this news. Give me some background on Affleck as a director.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, and Jessica Chastain were great. Chastain was absolutely stunning in this. Loved the cinematography and art direction. Some beautiful scenes in this. One of my favorite scenes was ***SPOILERS***when Forrest had his throat cut and Maggie returns to the pub and it's snowing out.***END SPOILERS***

Did Forrest remind anyone else of Ennis Del Mar from Brokeback Mountain? I couldn't help but think this during the film. And then I went on the IMDB board and saw someone else said the same.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I like its leisureliness and the action, but the ending suggests that all its good qualities might just be accidental.

6/10.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

It's a good movie that just didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Fine performances and a strong grasp of atmosphere are undercut by the generic plot. In this county, the trees are mightier than the forest.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:22 pm
---------

David wrote:

:whaa: That is crazy.

Loved this film. The whole cast is phenomenal.

A-

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]