Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Brave 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

Brave 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Brave
Just saw it in 3D. I was pleasantly surprised, after seeing that the reviews had this at a lesser Pixar (although not a Cars 2 lesser). I enjoyed it quite a bit. Still wouldn't put it at the top of my Pixar ranking, but worth seeing again.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

David wrote:
I seem to remember her standing right there as she mother clutches her side, nearly drops to the floor, etc.

I'm not going to buy she's such an inward-living teenager, she can't spot extreme pain. Poorly conceived scene. Puts Merida in too awful a light, beyond self-centered and into downright sociopathic territory.

She only becomes truly concerned when her mother is a bear.

Ya can't say that's not a very literal reading of the narrative!

But remember Brave is a myth, not a reality show.

This is a freakin' all out girls-eye view of the seemingly unbearable psychodynamics of the mother/daughter relationship overlaid upon an ancestral archetype.

For goodness sakes - - stop being such a guy, slinger, and rejoice in all that is woman!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:31 pm

David wrote:
I seem to remember her standing right there as she mother clutches her side, nearly drops to the floor, etc.

I'm not going to buy she's such an inward-living teenager, she can't spot extreme pain. Poorly conceived scene. Puts Merida in too awful a light, beyond self-centered and into downright sociopathic territory.

She only becomes truly concerned when her mother is a bear.

You are reading way way too much into it david. Seriously, I don't say that often but she was slow to react, not a fucking sociopath, jesus.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:47 am

Also, yeah, I loved it. Not at all everything I hope for wanted or expected, but a stoically simple story wrapped around amusing, engaging, convincing characters and an increasingly poignant mother-daughter relationship. It's an indescribably gorgeous feat of animation from top to bottom, I love the design the characters as well as landscapes and especially that awesome fiery hair are just entrancing. Certainly the best film I've seen this year. But then I haven't seen Moonrise so that doesn't mean much.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 am
Extraordinary

My friend said this would've been a good movie to release for Mother's Day... It should've been.

I liked it. Not my favorite Pixar (and totally different from what I was expecting) but it was enjoyable.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 am
Extraordinary

Disappointed; probably my least favorite Pixar film to date (didn't see Cars 2). The visuals are nice as usual, but there is little creativity here. The story is too straight forward with no ups and downs and didn't feel Pixar at all. It is not as appealing to adults as their past efforts such as Ratatouille, Wall-E, and The Incredibles. The music is a little overbearing as well. B-/C+ territory.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I liked it, didn't loved it. It started off so good and I thought this would become my favorite Pixar since Wall-E but once Merida ran away from the castle and met the witch, the movie lost a lot of steam. It was still okay but way off from those great first 30-40 minutes. B+

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:01 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It is my #4 Pixar movie...just love it. Seen it three times already.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Riggs wrote:
I liked it, didn't loved it. It started off so good and I thought this would become my favorite Pixar since Wall-E but once Merida ran away from the castle and met the witch, the movie lost a lot of steam.

It's true that Brave let go of the USADD vibe and took on an almost Miyazakiesque languidity.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:55 am

Easily the weakest Pixar film to date (besides Cars 2 which I have no interest in seeing). It felt underdeveloped the entire way through.

That being said, there are some good aspects of the film. I enjoyed the scenes with the witch, she and almost all the characters (outside of the three boys which represent felt like characters that belonged in a Dreamworks film) were lively and entertaining. And then there is Merida. Yeah, she was a good lead for what she was.

B

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:22 am
Forum General

Decent film but the whole thing about the Mom being a bear just sort of ruined the film for me.

Also she is not a lesbian! or does not want to ever love someone.

She is a woman living in medival times and frankly just does not want to be a princess that lives in a castle all her life.

I hate how everything twists thing to suit thier agendas'.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Bought the bluray and saw it at home once again, loved it more and still A+, but I do agree that most pixar films are slightly better than Brave

Can't wait for MU

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 am
loyalfromlondon

It has its moments, certainly, but the whole thing is just so... silly. Definitely a lesser Pixar, and feels more like a regular Disney princess movie than the mature stuff we've been used to. The characters just aren't that well-drawn, though the voice work (as always) is top notch.

Maybe Pixar should stick with sequels & prequels if this is what their original stuff is gonna be like nowadays.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm
We had our time together

It improved pretty well on a second viewing. I still like the first half more, but the second half wasn't nearly as weak as I remembered it. It's a beautiful film with some gorgeous animation, I'm glad I watched it again.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I can't comment on the animation, because I saw this in SD...

But I loved this. It reminded me so much of an old school Disney movie. Sure, it's a simple story, but it's well told and EXTREMELY well paced. I was upset it wasn't longer. Merida is one of Pixar's best individual characters. I absolutely loved her.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:31 am
Hold the door!

I wasn't in love with this viewing one, but several watches later its made its way up my list of favorite animated movies. The story is not original, but very well told. The best part is easily when Merida shoots for her own hand. Unlike most, i had the second half spoiled for me before I watched, so I knew where the story was going, so it didn't disappoint me as much as it might have. But while Brave doesn't tell the epic battle story the trailers conveyed, its tale of mother daugter bonding is equally poignant. The finale is among Pixar's best, IMO; I was on the edge of my seat while Merida was distracting Fergus and the lords from seeing her mother. I do think that the movie would have been better if the legend had been explained in more detail in the beginning of the movie (the short included on the blu-ray really should have been part of the movie) but like most Disney films, this one is infinitely rewatchable, and never feels sappy; which is Monsters Inc.'s only flaw.

A

Mon May 25, 2015 10:38 pm
now we know

The animation is sublime. Then again, I'd expect nothing less from Pixar. It's so nice to see a computer animated film that focuses on something historical, and not aliens, metropolises, or talking animals. Brave instantly brings out my love for films like Braveheart, so I love that aspect of it, but the film itself, as we've come to expect from Pixar, is just too safe. It's a lovely and confined (to one night) story and it moves at a nice pace. The voice talent hits all the right notes. It's funny but not overly so. And the music is good. But it is missing an ingredient that should have wowed me.

I'll probably never watch it again unless prompted by someone younger than me.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:36 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

This is still great. Maybe even more so than back in 2012. The female empowerment stuff was way ahead of its time, but also way more subtle than most movies you see today. In 2020, her dad would have been the one who needed changing because he was holding her down because he is a man and she is a woman and it's a man world. The mom/daughter relationship is so much better, making the conflict revolve around tradition and the difference between hating someone for a moment and letting hate for everyone consume you.

The first 20 minutes are a little rough, but everything after momma bear's transformation is still gold.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Probably their most underrated movie. I love it so much.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25 pm
Hold the door!

Yeah this is so much better than its RT score would suggest. Not Pixar's best, but easily much better than the Cars films and Monsters University

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:15 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Not their top tier movie but it has a great concept and setting which it does not use as well. I didn't even love the finale because we are unable to generate emotions from a movie that is busy to bring in comedy (which does not land most of the times) or fast paced character movements (this is great). The visuals as you would expect from Pixar are great but the non-existence of an actual conflict is what brings this down. Merida is also a vastly flawed character and some scenes with her turmoil feel like script manipulation rather than what this character would do.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2