Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 

What grade would you give this film?
A 68%  68%  [ 15 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 
Indiana Jones IV

Post F ---
This is why I hate Spielberg. He makes childish movies like this. This is my 3rd least favorite movie of all time (next to the extremely childish Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan). Instead of having a plot; it has kids and an alien doing some idiotic things. The frog saving scene was completely pointless, instead of putting something useful Spielberg just wanted to be immature and add that stupid scene. This movie is just a bunch of random clobbered scenes of a boy crying over an ugly alien. There is no imagination here (please? A flying bike? WOW! Great thinking there!), no humour (not one funny part; maybe E.T. liking beer was OK funny), no story, NOTHING. Spielberg shows how childish he is, always making children in danger in his movies. But in this movie the children seem to be smarter than the mother! Instead of giving us an intelligent story and scenes Spielberg pulls his sentimentality card like he always does (Schindler's List is the best example). The end were E.T. "died" was so stupid I couldn't help but laugh (and I hated how he kept repeating "E.T. phone home E.T. phone home!!!"). Spielberg just decides to make us "moved" instead of putting something worthy on scene; typical Spielberg. This movie is easily one of the worst movies ever and I still can't understand why people like it...

F ---

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

SCHINDLER'S LIST and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN were childish ... uh huh ...

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

SCHINDLER'S LIST and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN were childish ... uh huh ...

Story-wise they were... but yes I agree the violence is unsuitable for children (but that didn't stop me from watching them as a young child!)

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I'd have to say that it is easily one of the better films of the 1980's. It isn't the defining moment in Spielburg's career by any stretch of the imagination, but it presents a heart that many films no longer have. While Aliens are often depicted as war-mongering invaders, Spielburg chose to present E.T. as something different. Perhaps that is why it is so endearing.

The characters are well-developed and a star performance by the young Drew Barrymore is unforgetable. The ending, while flawed and typical Spielburg fare, is still well handled. Not a masterpiece, but still a truly wonderful film.

It isn't my favorite film ever, but I can't see this getting anything less then a B. For me, I'd give it an A-.

Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:32 pm
Indiana Jones IV

it has great character development and a well-developed story.

Bull. The characters are flat cardboard cut outs while the story is a jumbled mess of suck (kids acting cute and the alien acting cute).

Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

RogueCommander wrote:

Bull. The characters are flat cardboard cut outs while the story is a jumbled mess of suck (kids acting cute and the alien acting cute).

You are wrong, completely and 100%. If you don't like the movie, fine. But don't go picking apart my review because you hate Spielburg.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:57 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Star Wars wrote:
RogueCommander wrote:

You are wrong, completely and 100%. If you don't like the movie, fine. But don't go picking apart my review because you hate Spielburg.

I don't hate Spielberg... I hate the movie.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

You miss the point which is why I ignore every single review you offer to the site. You don't allow yourself to view the movie and critique it based on artistic quality. Rather your usual review of a Spielburg film includes such statements as "My least favorite behind [insert other Spielburg film]" and other such statements.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:02 am
Indiana Jones IV

Star Wars wrote:

You miss the point which is why I ignore every single review you offer to the site. You don't allow yourself to view the movie and critique it based on artistic quality. Rather your usual review of a Spielburg film includes such statements as "My least favorite behind [insert other Spielburg film]" and other such statements.

Not true... I offer reasons why I hate the movie. I give many reasons why I hate Schindler's List, E.T., Jurassic Park, etc. I just usually begin with that. And Spielberg isn't even an artist, I mean, he doesn't even write his own scripts! Unlike George Lucas or James Cameron. He wrote Close Encounters and that is it! Why doesn't he write his own scripts? Because he has no artistic vision! He needs other people to feed it to him!

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Not true... I offer reasons why I hate the movie. I give many reasons why I hate Schindler's List, E.T., Jurassic Park, etc. I just usually begin with that.[/quote]

My point stands. You cannot review a Spielburg film on artistic merit in a reasonable fashion. For me, because I write reviews for this site and also a newspaper, I had to learn to put down prejudices and learn to simply write a review based on what was on the screen. Comparing it to another film by the same director is fine. Comparing the cliches in a film with other films by the same director is also fine. For example, most Michael Bay films include extensive car chase scenes. All include massive "money shots". It is his own cliche.

However you supersede that and anyone who reads your "reviews" will tell you that. Not like it really matters anyway.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:10 am
Indiana Jones IV

My point stands. You cannot review a Spielburg film on artistic merit in a reasonable fashion. For me, because I write reviews for this site and also a newspaper, I had to learn to put down prejudices and learn to simply write a review based on what was on the screen. Comparing it to another film by the same director is fine. Comparing the cliches in a film with other films by the same director is also fine. For example, most Michael Bay films include extensive car chase scenes. All include massive "money shots". It is his own cliche.

However you supersede that and anyone who reads your "reviews" will tell you that. Not like it really matters anyway.

I don't go to a movie and say "It's a Spielberg movie... F-!" For example: Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws are 2 of my favorite movies of all time... Catch Me If You Can and Empire of the Sun gets a C + from me while War of the Worlds is a D+/C-. Spielberg movies just aren't that good too me, and are extremely childish and immature. I can list many reasons why I hate Spielberg, but I wouldn't want to bother you guys with it...

Plus I don't hate Spielberg's movies/directing 100%... I think his movies have amazing special effects and action sequences. Jurassic Park still awes me to this day, and easily has some of the best CGI of all time. Spielberg is really good at directing action sequences.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

One of the best films ever made. The perfect family film. Very funny, but also quite moving and touching. Incredibly heartwarming, though it never feels sappy or cheesy. And also very interesting, when you think about it. A masterpiece.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:46 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: E.T.
A completley wonderful film and classic.

A+

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: E.T.
One of the most powerful family films ever made, if not the most. A touching story about friendship, a very cool twist on the science-fiction genre, many very memorable quotes, and featuring one of the best endings in film history. This ranks as Spielberg's best non-R movie.

A+

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2