Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Lorax 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

The Lorax 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Lorax
The Lorax

Quote:
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (also known as The Lorax) is a 2012 American computer-animated 3-D musical comedy film based on Dr. Seuss' children's book of the same name. It was produced by Illumination Entertainment and was released by Universal Pictures on March 2, 2012, what would have been the 108th birthday of Seuss, who died at the age of 87 in 1991.

The film is the fourth feature film based on a book by Dr. Seuss, the second Dr. Seuss adaptation fully computer-animated after Horton Hears a Who!, and the first to be released in 3-D. The Lorax was Illumination Entertainment's first film presented in IMAX 3D (known as "IMAX Tree-D" in publicity for the film). It was also the third Dr. Seuss feature film released by Universal, after How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Cat in the Hat.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 pm
Ocarina of Time

Post Re: The Lorax
Right now it's having worse reviews than Horton from critics, however I'll wait until its dvd release to wacth it in order to share my thoughts

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 pm
Where will you be?

This is why I will never ever see this movie

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's pretty good. The storytelling and (human) characters are weak, but the film is still energetic and fun most of the time. The backstory felt overlong, but pipsqueak, the fish, and company kept it interesting. The musical numbers ("How Bad Can I Be?" in particular) in the film were my favorite parts of the film. It could be a little too preachy for some people, too.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

I love the book but the whole environmental message is washed away by ridiculously childish songs and too many cheap attempts at laughs. I was surprised at just how little The Lorax was in this as DeVito is a great vocal match. Plus, The Lorax is the only one to provide laughs in the film. Taylor Swift's voice acting was horrendous. The animation though was great. Leave it to the man himself Dr. Seuss to cement his message, and finally do a good job acknowledging it in the film, with that masterful quote at the end. *1/2

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was awful. Annoying, manipulative crap. The animation was nice but that's about it. C-

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:45 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I had hoped to boycott The Lorax because of the gall of the marketing department seeing fit to having the lead character hawking SUV's, but against my better judgement I was recently dragged to see it - - and it wasn't too bad after all.

The cgi animation really works well for Dr. Seuss, imho - - I love the look it gives the architecture and gadgets.

And the eco-message really was not too diluted - - an "Occupy Wall Street for Tots" as it were.

The worst part was the terrible songs - - yikes! If they'd cut those, this might have actually been a good movie.

3 out of 5.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:03 pm
---------

I'm not familiar with the book storyline, but it seemed in the movie that the Lorax was completely useless as he did nothing to prevent the deforestation and nothing to bring it all back either.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:02 pm
Extraordinary

MG Casey wrote:
I'm not familiar with the book storyline, but it seemed in the movie that the Lorax was completely useless as he did nothing to prevent the deforestation and nothing to bring it all back either.

That's correct - - he was barely in the movie.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:09 pm

I can't believe the distaste for this movie. Bottled air, dystopia, plastic trees, corporate greed, happy dance numbers denouncing it all and celebrating nature. it's all there. Sure the Efron/contemporary bits are fluffed to hell with mediocre jokes, over-the-top silliness, and betty white, but the core is awesome, the onceler backstory's great, and I love that millions of kids are seeing it. Fuck corporations yay wildlife and such.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]