Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mother India 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

Mother India 
loyalfromlondon

Post Mother India
Mother India

Quote:
Mother India (Hindi: मदर इंडिया, Urdu: مدر انڈیا) is a 1957 Hindi film epic, written and directed by Mehboob Khan and starring Nargis, Sunil Dutt, Rajendra Kumar and Raaj Kumar. The film, a melodrama, is a remake of Mehboob Khan's earlier film, Aurat (1940). It is the story of a poverty-stricken village woman named Radha who, amid many other trials and tribulations, struggles to raise her sons and survive against an evil money-lender. Despite her hardship, she sets a goddess-like moral example of what it means to be an Indian woman, yet kills her own criminal son at the end for the greater moral good. She represents India as a nation in the aftermath of independence.

The film ranks among the all-time Indian box office hits and has been described as "an all-time Indian blockbuster" and "perhaps India's most revered film". The film won the National Film Award for Third Best Feature Film in 1958. Mother India belongs to a small collection of films, including Kismet (1943), Mughal-e-Azam (1960) and Sholay (1975) which continue to be watched daily throughout India and are considered to be definitive Hindi cultural film classics. The film was India's first submission for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1958 and was chosen as one of the five nominations for the category.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Mother India
Definitely a bit of a drag the first 2 hours, picks up energy wise with the older Birjou. The British colonialism symbolism is definitely on the nose but nonetheless gives it an interesting perspective to read it from. Good but not great.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:42 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Mother India
This is indian melodrama but is well done compared to 99% of other films.

The struggles she faces in the first half is very interesting to watch.

The melodrama goes crazy nears the end.

However you then have one of the famous scenes in Indian movie history where the son rides away with a girl and the mother says "you have disrespected the village I will kill you"
The son says "You can't kill me your my mother"
She then picks up a shotgun and shoots her son in the back and then gives a evil look...
Haha that was a great scene...

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]