Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 1 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
C 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 1

Quote:
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 is a 2014 American science fiction adventure film directed by Francis Lawrence with a screenplay by Peter Craig and Danny Strong. It is the first of two cinematic parts based on the novel Mockingjay, the final book in The Hunger Games trilogy, written by Suzanne Collins, and the third installment in The Hunger Games film series, produced by Nina Jacobson and Jon Kilik and distributed by Lionsgate. The film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Julianne Moore, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, Stanley Tucci and Donald Sutherland. It is the sequel to The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and will be followed by the concluding entry, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2.

The story continues to follow Katniss Everdeen who, after escaping the Third Quarter Quell, becomes a reluctant hero and symbol of hope for the nation of Panem. Principal photography for both parts of the film began on September 23, 2013 in Atlanta, before moving to Paris for two weeks of filming and officially concluding on June 20, 2014 in Berlin.

Part 1 was released on November 19, 2014 in Brazil, on November 20, 2014 in the Malaysia, United Kingdom and Indonesia, and is scheduled to be released on November 21, 2014 in the United States, November 28, 2014 in India and with an unconfirmed date in January 2015 in China. It landed atop Fandango's list of most-anticipated films for 2014. The film has received mixed to positive reviews.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Post Re: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 1
Well....

I am big fan from the series but to say this is slow and uneventful is a misunderstanding. Nothing of note happens until the very last 15 mins. All of the action scenes are in the trailer and everything is just a big set up for the final part.

The first part of the book is easily the shittiest in the entire series. I always knew this was gonna suck, but oh shit I had no idea theyw ere gonna litterally read page by page what was written in the book.

But then again everything but the story was aces, JLaw really deserves an Oscar nom for this, No one in the entire world likes annoying Katniss but she was amazing playing her.

C+

I gave both previous films A+, lol. Whatever bring on the real closer Mockingjay 2 will slay.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:10 pm
Hold the door!

Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like this split is going to hurt the series' reputation as a whole. Maybe instead of just releasing Part 2, they could cut it together with part 1 and charge extra.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:53 pm
Pure Phase

zwackerm

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:33 pm
Forum General

The movie is actually pretty good. However, I don't think WOM will be stellar, especially among guys, because of the decrease in action. I don't think it will impact OW, but it may cut the total gross down below the first two.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This suffers from Part 1-itis more than any other film I can think of. There's no goal. The characters aren't really building towards some plan. In Deathly Hallows 1, Harry's trying to find and destroy Voldemort's Horcruxes. In The Hobbit 1, Bilbo and co. are trying to reach the Lonely Mountain. In Mockingjay Part 1... Katniss is trying to perfect the art of the propaganda video?

There are a lot of really good scenes and moments, but the whole thing is basically stuck in neutral waiting until the plot can kick in.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:39 am
Teh Mexican

An uneventful movie that goes nowhere. What you see in the trailer is what you get. As a fan of the series (movies) its good enough i guess.

B-/C+

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:22 am
The Kramer

I went to the theater to watch Birdman, but five minutes in the projector crapped out. So instead I went into the first showing of Hunger Games, surrounded by teenagers. :funny: It worked out in the end though, because Mockingjay 1 ended up being better than I expected, though still nowhere near the quality of the first two.

Given how they little they had to work with, it is quite amazing that they could even make a competent movie. Much of it is unnecessary, I think we had a full minute of Jen going in and out of an elevator, this is true. The romance between Katniss and Peeta is as awkward as ever, mostly because of the oozing chemistry between her and Gale. Yet it wouldn't be like Katniss to enjoy what's already there. The lack of Hunger Games is also very noticeable. A few short action scenes (including a barely visible one) hardly make up the titular event.

Yet Hunger Games has never been about action. Even in the games the kills are spaced out. The Hunger Games succeeds at creating legitimately moving emotional moments, and Mockingjay continues this tradition. The injured citizens of a District 8 hospital rise as they realize who is amongst them, Gale tells the story of District 12's final moments, a cat chasing a light creates a brief moment of joy after a night of terror, Katniss sings a beautiful song in her first moment of peace since the first movie, etc... With these kind of emotional highs and lows, The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 can pass even without a plot.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:40 am
Hold the door!

David wrote:
zwackerm

David.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:28 am
New Server, Same X

zwackerm wrote:
David wrote:
zwackerm

David.

New zwackerm, Same zwackerm

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 am
loyalfromlondon

very bad

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:25 pm
Sbil

As with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Mockingjay Part 1 simply suffers from being incomplete. This is still rousing, top-notch entertainment, but its impact is blunted by the abruptness and as a result it is the least effective Hunger Games film so far. Once Part 2 is released next year, I reserve the right to reverse that opinion examining the two films as a whole. Jennifer Lawrence gets to add even more shades and colors to Katniss here, and as usual she is up to the challenge and then some. The rest of the large cast is solid, although by narrative design, no one else really has much to do. Julianne Moore is, of course, great though. And special credit should be given to Josh Hutcherson, who delivers his best performance as Peeta yet despite largely being seen on video screens. Gah, give me part 2. I can't wait for next year! B+

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I mostly liked it, but it was really dragged out so they could make bank on an extra film. B-.

So far it's better than the book in my opinion.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I actually really dug it. It doesn't feel like a cinematic event; more like a good episode of a TV show, but I'll take it, especially for how lackluster this section of the book is. The emotional moments work and Jennifer Lawrence is as good as ever here. Julianne Moore was also great.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:04 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

While it's definitely the weakest one thus far, this is still a great, thought-provoking movie that's far from the massive drop in quality that many reviews have suggested. I do think that making it a two-parter ultimately does serve as a detriment here as you can tell quite a bit is being saved for the big finale next year. But as a standalone film it still has much more going for it than most of the big blockbusters this year. It almost plays as a political drama instead of the action heavy first two installments, but there are plenty of big setpieces that should still leave viewers craving that satisfied (the whole visit to District 8 as well as the Peeta rescue mission were both great, incredibly intense sequences, as well as the dam bombing). It's also probably the most violent of the three films and the brutality of some of the sequences surprised me. The performances are all once again spectacular. Jennifer Lawrence is sensational, that goes without saying, and allows this character to go to darker places here than she has in the past. I actually thought Josh Hutcherson delivered his best performance to date in this one despite mostly appearing on video screens. Liam Hemsworth is also decent though Gale continues to be a boring love interest that I can't understand why Katniss would go for. All of the adult cast members are aces. Best in show are a fun Natalie Dormer and a powerful and effective Julianne Moore, both making their franchise debuts, Philip Seymour Hoffman who brings his character a surprising amount of humor, and Elizabeth Banks. I can't express how smart I think it was for this film to include Effie as a major character even though she's barely in the novel - she brings the film a lot of humor and heart, and I loved all of her scenes and dialogue here. As expected, the movie does end on a big cliffhanger, much like Catching Fire did, and for viewers who are unfamiliar with the source material it may come as a surprise. It's an excellent, chilling scene though that once again surprised me with its brutality, and I thought the final shot (once again heavily reliant on Lawrence's facial expressions and the emotions she's conveying) was perfect. I was more than satisfied, especially since Mockingjay is easily the weakest novel. A-

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

The penultimate episode of the Hunger Games franchise is a decidedly dull and uninteresting film. It is an exhausting experience, a lumbering beast of a stopgap with a tendency to repeat itself and an aversion to momentum. A real step down from the exuberance and high-toned craftsmanship of the prior film, Catching Fire. Part of the problem is the foregrounding of one of the least sexy, least engaging love triangles in recent memory. I believe the name Gale is District 12 lingo for "Who the **** cares?" And the other one is just bread. The film's ideas regarding revolutionary propaganda are briefly amusing, but stretched deadly thin when forced to function as the main storyline. Action sequences (a highlight of Catching Fire) are well-shot, but few and far between, and the poorly ventilated and under-lit rebel compound where much of the film transpires started to seem a symbol of the crowded, slightly hot auditorium in which I found myself imprisoned watching this.

Jennifer Lawrence acts her heart out (cry! cry harder!), but her character, Katniss, is not as engaging this time out, in my opinion. Our resourceful, quietly conflicted heroine has become a bit of an indecisive sap, and I found this transition abrupt and confusing, though I have not watched Catching Fire in a year and have never read the novels. The older pros and veterans of the cast largely turn in capable performances as far as they go, though Woody Harrelson might as well have stayed in bed. Julianne Moore nicely conveys guarded benevolence, and, on the flip side of the presidential coin, Donald Sutherland once again exudes austere malevolence. And it is poignant to see the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his final roles, even if this is hardly a challenging part for such a masterful thespian; he seems amused and detached throughout, as if slightly floating above the proceedings, albeit in a jovial way.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:49 am
Hold the door!

David wrote:
And it is poignant to see the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his final roles, even if this is hardly a challenging part for such a masterful thespian; he seems amused and detached throughout, as if slightly floating above the proceedings, albeit in a jovial way.

C

Thank you for not outright saying he was "above the film".

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:10 am
Extraordinary

Disappointing. Slow moving in parts, and unresolved in a manner that even "part ones" shouldn't have. I really enjoyed the first two films, but it seems to me that maybe they shouldn't have split the last one in two. One longer film with constant action would have been a lot more exciting.

C

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The chasm in quality between this and Catching Fire is almost amazing.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:40 pm
You must have big rats

I like both equally, for different reasons (well, okay, one common reason is Lawrence being terrific).

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Ah, The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of the entire trilogy. So excuse me if I'm a little biased here.

I do NOT understand why this has not gotten as strong reviews as the first two, when I consider it to be far better still than the first.

The only reason I can think of is that people walked into this one expecting more candy colored Capitol outfits and Hunger Games beasties, and obviously, that stuff is not here.

What we get instead is a Cold War allegory that was very fascinating. The film was a little slow at times, but there were so many great sequences. Katniss agreeing to be the Mockingjay, the District 8 bombing, the Hanging tree, and Peeta's rescue mission were all wonderfully done. Even the scene I feared would be cheesy with
Spoiler: show
Peeta attacking Katniss
at the end was not.

The performances here were stellar across the board, even if the new characters made little impact for me with the exception of the mute cameraman. He was so cute! Katniss may be a little whiny in this one, but I think here she deserves to be.

I hope Part 2 does better at the box office, because it would be a real shame if this franchise died before it ended.

10/10 (but a little less enthusiastic than the ten I gave Catching Fire)

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:33 am
You must have big rats

So you are like 15, 16, right? It's okay, we've all been there. ;)

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
So you are like 15, 16, right? It's okay, we've all been there. ;)

Just because I like The Hunger Games, I'm a teenager?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:55 pm
You must have big rats

No, I like The Hunger Games a lot too. It is because of your writing and (to a lesser degree) because of your grade. Am I wrong, though?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
No, I like The Hunger Games a lot too. It is because of your writing and (to a lesser degree) because of your grade. Am I wrong, though?

I'm exactly 20 years old. But really, I was trying to stay anonymous as possible here. But i fail to see how my writing is "younger" than anyone elses.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next