Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The Hunger Games 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 18 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 39

The Hunger Games 
100% That Bitch

Post Re: The Hunger Games
I kinda loved it.

But I just didn't get the end... was she just prettending to like him? cuz what she said to him at the train back home was to forget it.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 pm
Wallflower

I haven't read the books so I'm curious what will happen in the future books/movies with the love story aspect. Personally it worked for me and I would like to see Peeta and Katniss together.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:41 pm
Wallflower

Mau wrote:
I kinda loved it.

But I just didn't get the end... was she just prettending to like him? cuz what she said to him at the train back home was to forget it.

We were just talking about that :P. Yes, she was. Though I'm hoping she actually does have some feelings for him.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:42 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Possible spoilers if you haven't read the book (which you guys should so it's easier to discuss!).

In reply to all the posts above:
Spoiler: show
Katniss wasn't just trying to win over the audience by pretending to love Peeta. Winning the games and going back home to be with her little sister was her main goal, but she also developed feelings for Peeta along the way. Peeta asks her on the train how much of it was for the Games, and she replies with "not all of it". She's unsure of her feelings, and thinks it's unfair or doesn't matter since she doesn't want the married life, with children who may become tributes themselves, etc. and questions why Peeta would ever want that after what they just went through.

All of this is difficult to translate to film because in the books, everything is from the perspective of Katniss. tina explained it well in this thread.

Everything is developed more as the story continues in the next two books.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Corpse wrote:
Possible spoilers if you haven't read the book (which you guys should so it's easier to discuss!).

In reply to all the posts above:
Katniss wasn't just trying to win over the audience by pretending to love Peeta. Winning the games and going back home to be with her little sister was her main goal, but she also developed feelings for Peeta along the way. Peeta asks her on the train how much of it was for the Games, and she replies with "not all of it". She's unsure of her feelings, and thinks it's unfair or doesn't matter since she doesn't want the married life, with children who may become tributes themselves, etc. and questions why Peeta would ever want that after what they just went through.

All of this is difficult to translate to film because in the books, everything is from the perspective of Katniss. tina explained it well in this thread.

Everything is developed more as the story continues in the next two books.

Thanks for that. It makes things clearer.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:56 pm
Where will you be?

Adapting a first-person narratives to the big screen while remaining faithful to the narrative strikes me as difficult. There's a lot of beautiful yet flat movies mummified in their literary binds. Think Revolutionary Road or dare I say it, most of the Harry Potter franchise. Perhaps that's why my favorite page-to-screen adaptations are often of short stories like Brokeback Mountain or The Bear Came Over the Mountain (Away from Her) or when a talented director can confidently command the material, nailing the soul of the beast even if the details don't always match up - Cronenberg's Naked Lunch, Cuaron's* Children of Men and I'd even Peter Jackson's triumphant The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

*Alfonso Cuaron's Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban may also be my favorite Harry Potter film, because he gave it a uniquely whimsical voice and really nailed the third book's twisted narrative.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 pm
Extraordinary

Haven't read the book, but this is pretty good. A hybrid of The Truman Show and Survivor, and I enjoy the tension the film created. Look forward to reading the books and watching Catching Fire.

The plot is pretty similar to the Japanese film Battle Royale, so I'll recommend people to watch that one also.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Its always strange to us when certain films which may good but nothing super special become such big hits.

Other great examples are Spiderman 1 and DMC and Shrek 2.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Its always strange to us when certain films which may good but nothing super special become such big hits.

Other great examples are Spiderman 1 and DMC and Shrek 2.

The success of all those films (except maybe the level Shrek 2 reached) is a lot more understandable than this, IMO.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Chippy wrote:
I really didn't like the relationship angle. Seemed way forced. And it seems like she doesn't care about him, even at the end.

That was the way it was suppose to be.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Despite my low expectations I walked away really adoring it. I read the book a few months ago and I didn't expect it to come close to it, but it did. Jennifer Lawrence gave a star making performance if I've ever seen one. I loved her in Winter's Bone but I actually prefer her performance here. She's just wonderful and if anything, Katniss should make her a household name. Harrelson, Banks and Hutcherson were all great as well. The special effects were definitely lacking, but that was to be expected, so I can't really say anything about them. They will improve with the next film. The only thing I really have to complain about is the shaky cam. I've always been a fan of it, but there were times in this that it was so overdone. The final battle, among other scenes it was difficult to even tell what was going on. That's a minor complaint though. It's a really glorious movie and I can't wait for the second one. Glad it seems to be catching fire (hahahaha) like it is.

9/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Mike wrote:
Mau wrote:
I kinda loved it.

We were just talking about that :P. Yes, she was. Though I'm hoping she actually does have some feelings for him.

apparently the book it made it quite clear that she was playing along for the 'game'.

However in the cave, it looked like peeta and katniss had a 'moment' when he was applying the salve on her head wound.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 pm
Profile WWW

Mike wrote:
I haven't read the books so I'm curious what will happen in the future books/movies with the love story aspect. Personally it worked for me and I would like to see Peeta and Katniss together.

Who doesn't want a girlfriend that can catch and cook your dinner, as well as kick your ass. :hahaha:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I really liked it. It's a good movie and could have been a great one if the shaky cam wouldn't have annoyed the hell out of me so many times. Lawrence was just fantastic and the perfect choice for Katniss. B+

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:55 pm
Profile WWW

Magnus wrote:
i didnt really like the movie that much but the shaky-cam was actually something I thought was fine. Not so much in the first half of the film, but during the actual games. It added to the whole reality-TV element of the film I thought.

Yeah I didn't mind it in the actual games, They had to make the fights look violent, since they didn't show much of the actual combat.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Leader of the Pack

Seeing this in IMAX, the shaky cam makes for a very nauseating experience. I randomly started feeling queezy a little over halfway through the film :dizzy:

But yeah, there are a lot of good parts and it is very entertaining, but as a stand alone film, there is a lot that doesn't work. There was so much that didn't really make sense/seemed like something was missing, but adding more time/detail to the film would have made it feel too long. So as someone who never reads the books, but is an avid film goer, I am definitely a bit disappointed.

B-

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:48 am
We had our time together

I do expect to like this one much more when I see it at home where the shaky cam isn't that annoying. And I really hope they release a extended version on Blu-Ray. About 20 minutes more and I'll be happy.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 am
Profile WWW
College Boy T

I liked it; looking forward to the sequels.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:42 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

David wrote:
MG Casey wrote:
Chippy wrote:
I really didn't like the relationship angle. Seemed way forced. And it seems like she doesn't care about him, even at the end.

Exactly. She was trying to win favor with the audience so she could potentially win.

It's interesting the film completely jettisoned this in favor of it just being a full-on love story.

I thought it was pretty clear that she was acting for the ratings.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:17 am
Pure Phase

Have you read the novel?

IMO, the movie suggests it (the affection, on her part) may begin as a ploy for ratings, but is "real" by the end. There is nothing in those final moments to suggest Katniss isn't in love with Peeta.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:18 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

No. Have't read the books.
but i have a feeling Peeta is gonna become the villain when he realizes that Katniss doesn't really love him. am i right?

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 am
Devil's Advocate

I really liked it. I thought the pre Hunger Games scenes in particular were excellent. Great job with the characters and actors in general IMO. Hutcherson as Peeta was perfect casting. And Lawrence of course delivers. The sequels are set up well because the characters are likeable enough to draw in viewers without the Hunger Games

I enjoyed the book and read straight through it, but as mentioned because it reads like Katniss herself wrote it, it has no sense of descriptions and setting. So I actually feel the movie does the story better because the dystopia world comes to life far more, especially pre Hunger Games. They do have a harder time explaining exactly what's going with the Peeta relationship though (In the books they portray that Katniss assumes all of Peeta's blubbering and kissing is an extravagant play for the sponsors and only after the Games starts to realize he meant it - while here I could see non readers assuming both think it's real in the cave)

The only scene I wish was a little better was the bloodbath at the start. Understandably Katniss isn't there for a lot of it but I was looking forward to a good 3-5 minutes of brawl to the deaths

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:43 pm
Where will you be?

Shack wrote:
The only scene I wish was a little better was the bloodbath at the start. Understandably Katniss isn't there for a lot of it but I was looking forward to a good 3-5 minutes of brawl to the deaths

But wouldn't that be too exploitative and present the games as the gore-hound feast the movie criticizes them as? I thought the muted presentation was an excellent way to portray this scene.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:30 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Entertaining but extremely safe. It's hard to believe The Running Man made 25 years earlier has a much more accurate look at the media then in this film. My main gripes is the way games are shown around the world, and it's just not interesting, and the scope is severely lacking. Outside of the establishing scenes and a few commentaries by Tucci it just doesn't do anything. There's just not a lot to this film when you look at it.

The characters are fun though and the action is serviceable. Maybe my gripes are with the source material. The Running Man with Kids just sounds a hell of a lot more awesome in my head then on the screen.

B+ I enjoyed it while I was in there.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm
Superman: The Movie

I liked the look, I liked the themes, I even liked the first half. Then it turns into the most boring blockbuster I've seen in at least a decade. The complete lack of any tension kills the movie.

More head-on brutalness between the kids would've helped the film quite a bit. The point of the story feels kind of neutered, and what might have worked in the book and in a reader's imagination, doesn't work when it's realized here.

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next