Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The Hunger Games 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 18 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 39

The Hunger Games 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

Quote:
The Hunger Games is a 2012 American science fiction action-drama film directed by Gary Ross and based on the novel of the same name by Suzanne Collins. It stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks. It was released on March 21, 2012 in France and other countries and internationally on March 23, 2012 in both conventional theaters and digital IMAX theaters. The film currently holds the record for the third best opening weekend box office sales of any movie ($152.5 million) in North America behind The Dark Knight ($158 million) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 ($169 million). and the biggest for a non-sequel. It was well received by critics, who praised Lawrence's performance and its themes and messages, whilst it was mildly criticized for its watered-down violence and its filming style.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Hunger Games
As someone who has no stake whatsoever in this so-called franchise, I found it a load of poorly made, cheap-looking nonsense.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

As someone who has never heard of this until I saw a trailer for it... and still has no idea what it's about...

Would I like it?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm
loyalfromlondon

You've never disliked a movie in your life, so I'd say so.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 am
Killing With Kindness

trixster wrote:
As someone who has no stake whatsoever in this so-called franchise, I found it a load of poorly made, cheap-looking nonsense.

you've seen, what was bad about the film?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I liked it.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

BJ wrote:
trixster wrote:

you've seen, what was bad about the film?

It's shoddily directed, poorly edited, ugly as fuck, and overall rather silly.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 pm
Pure Phase

I haven't seen it. *sniffle*

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It's pretty good mostly but GOD DAMN does Gary Ross not know how to direct and edit an action scene

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:48 am
---------

Overall I thought it was great. The cast was perfect, especially Woody Harrelson and Jennifer Lawrence.

My only complaints: They could have built up the intensity of the games a little more, and made Katniss more of an underdog. And the freaking shakey cam was very disappointing.

Still, they did a much better job that I thought they ever could on capturing Suzanne Collins' world, especially all of the Capitol parts.

A-

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:57 am
Extraordinary

it was actually REALLY good

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:18 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Thought it was excellent. More thoughts later.

A-

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

B+

Quote:
Ever since the end of the end of the Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings franchise, with Harry Potter’s end in sight too, the studios have been desperately looking to find a new epic-scale franchise that could attract masses and serve as a cash cow for years. The first obvious medium to turn to, were books. There are countless more or less successful written franchises that haven’t been put on the big screen yet. In their frantic search for a new Star Wars or a new Harry Potter the studios started to adapt several, mostly fantasy or science fiction themed novels. However, the successes were rare. For each Twilight there were several failed attempts like I Am Number Four, Jumper or, most prominently, The Golden Compass. Now with The Hunger Games, it looks like Lionsgate struck gold. It is ironic that after so many attempts it weren’t the big studios, but the smaller ones like Summit Entertainment with Twilight and Lionsgate with The Hunger Games that actually found a relatively lasting franchise.

However, while the media tries to find connections between Twilight and The Hunger Games and emphasize that the two are going for the same audiences, the similarities are a few. Indeed, both have been written by a female author, both feature a female protagonist and a love triangle of sorts. This is where it ends, though. Whatever the opinion is about Twilight, there is no denying the fact that it is a love story first and everything else second. Not so much for The Hunger Games, where, at least in the first book, there is no love story, let alone a triangle to speak of. The emphasis of the Hunger Games series has always been on its dystopian setting and the lengths people will go to, to achieve their goals as well as the toll that some deeds take on people. The Hunger Games series is set in near, not closely defined future in which the United States of America no longer exists, but instead a dictatorship called Panem took its place. Consisting of 12 Districts and a Capitol, it is a rather dour vision of the future (as it usually is in stories like this). The Districts are ruthlessly ruled by the Capitol. An attempt of an uprising against the Capitol was punished by the installation of the so-called Hunger Games. Each year, during the event called the Reaping, a girl and a boy between the ages of 12 and 18 are selected from each District as Tributes. They travel to the Capitol, where they are shortly trained in the arts of fighting and survival and after two weeks put into an Arena (usually a large piece of landscape) where they are supposed to fight to their deaths until only one remains alive. The nationwide televised Hunger Games serve to remind the Districts of the dark times of the rebellion. The story of the first film (and book) follows the 16-year old Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), a skilled hunter from District 12, who volunteers to participate in the 74th Hunger Games in place of her 12-year old sister, Primrose. Together with Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), a baker’s son from her District who has been harbouring feelings for Katniss for a long time, she travels to the Capitol to participate in the deadly games.

This premise alone sets it worlds apart from the mostly harmless world of Twilight, but also the fantasy setting of Harry Potter. From the first moments of the movie, we see that it is a different world, a far more real one. Sure, there are more than enough science fiction elements here like the lavish futuristic buildings of the Capitol and the Arena that is controlled from the outside by the Command Center where the Gamemakers can set off traps by a simple tip of a finger. However, the things are mostly kept down to earth here. There are not super-powerful weapons, inhuman strength or any other over-the-top sci-fi elements. Once in the Arena, it is just about kids going at each other with knives, spears, swords and, in Katniss’ case, a bow and arrow. Admittedly, the concept of a dystopian society that, as a punishment, lets it children kill each other in a game is not new – the Japanese novel Battle Royale (published in 1999) and its film adaptation that came a year later basically covers the same ground, albeit much bloodier. However, both versions can co-exist very well with each other. Whereas in the Japanese film the focus is primarily on the battle itself with very little known about the outside world and the circumstances, The Hunger Games’ scope is wider (in particular in the following books) and Katniss is a stronger identification figure than anyone in Battle Royale.

Jennifer Lawrence’s Katniss is what constitutes the main strength of the cinematic adaptation too. Lawrence can prove that her Oscar-nominated turn in Winter’s Bone wasn’t a fluke. There have been some initial complaints about the casting as Lawrence is significantly older than her character and doesn’t exactly fit the description of olive skin and dark hair mentioned in the book. However, all those complaints should be silenced now. Lawrence is fantastic. She perfectly captures all that makes Katniss a strong character in the books. Far from being a cardboard character, her Katniss is a fleshed-out and fully realized person. Lawrence captures the combination of toughness and vulnerability that author Suzanne Collins has intended for the character. She carries the movie (most of which is seen from her perspective) and hits the mark in every scene.

Of course such emphasis on her character means that the others come relatively short. Her friend/potential love interest from home, Gale (Liam Hemsworth) is featured just in a few scenes (though it’s just the same in the first novel) and Hutcherson’s Peeta doesn’t get much time to shine either. What is worse is that he lacks chemistry with Lawrence that is necessary for the build-up of a love triangle that is only hinted at in the movie. The supporting cast is strong, but no one gets much screentime. Woody Harrelson’s Haymitch, a constantly drunk, yet caring mentor to Peeta and Katniss comes out most promising along with Stanley Tucci’s slimy TV show host Caesar Flickerman. He braves his ridiculous looks, obviously a messed-up love child of George Hamilton’s tan and Karl Lagerfeld’s ponytail and delivers an interesting turn. Donald Sutherland chews the scenery as President Snow, the future main villain of the series. The evil Career Tributes from District 1 and 2 are sadly nothing more than stock characters. The biggest change, characters-wise, was Gary Ross’ decision to vastly expand the character of Seneca Crane, the Head Gamemaker. Played by Wes Bentley (who sports some crazy facial here), his character is only mentioned by name, but never actually appears in the novels. It was a very smart choice, though as it shows the mechanics behind the Hunger Games.

Overall, The Hunger Games is a very faithful adaptation of its source novel. However; Gary Ross did take some liberties with the presentation and most of his choices have proven to be extremely good. While in the novel the events are told exclusively from Katniss’ perspective (meaning that once in the Arena, we know nothing of the outside world), in the movie we also get to see the reactions of people in the Districts to the televised events as well as the behind-the-scenes procedures during the Games. The latter prove very interesting and shift the perspective more from a general social commentary to a direct play at the fascination of Reality TV and the audience’s craving for sensations. In the book, the whole thing is about survival, while retaining your humanity. That point is less emphasized in the film, but instead the whole craziness and inhumanity of the Games is shown. It is a slight shift, but it does speak volumes about the movie’s tone. This is smart filmmaking, not just pandering to younger fans of the novel, but also very much at adult crowds who should enjoy the media satire parts of it. Another welcome change to the novel was a much more complete and rounded off ending that the novel doesn’t have. It is a satisfying conclusion that, at the same time, leaves you wanting more.

Gary Ross’ direction is solid here, but doesn’t really deliver much unexpected. Some will complain about the shaky cam during the action scenes, but that was most likely necessary in order for the movie to achieve a PG-13 rating. Afterall, this is a film about kids ruthlessly slaying other kids. Surprisingly, it still manages to remain very faithful to the proceedings in the Arena and doesn’t sacrifice much for a lower rating. There are enough bloody and discomforting scenes here. They are never gratuitous, though and the camera is relatively quick to cut away. The latter is a good compromise. Some of the effects and costumes do, indeed, look a tad tacky, but maybe the film’s strong financial performance will allow for a higher budget to be spent next time.

With all the flaws, The Hunger Games is a very engaging and occasionally smart science-fiction film that is an extremely promising start for a new franchise. At the end, this is Jennifer Lawrence’s show as she builds a character that will most likely remain the most remember of her hopefully great career.

http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=671

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Is Jen Lawrence as good as they say?

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 am
You must have big rats

Well, yes. She's the main reason to see the film.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Lawrence is absolutely brilliant. This is a performance that is going to make her a household name, without question.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

The movie was AMAZING! I haven't read the books but will be now. Though I was glad I hadn't before seeing the movie as it was much more intense not knowing how things would play out. I found myself on edge several times. I found the movie incredibly involving and well-made. Jennifer Lawrence is superb as Katniss. She had me emotionally invested in her character. I personally found her better here than she was in her Oscar nominated turn in "Winter's Bone." I also really enjoyed Josh Hutcherson. I thought the set-up was great and when the games begin it gets even better. I honestly don't think any of this summer's big budget blockbusters will be as satisfying as this (I don't expect "The Dark Knight Rises" to approach the greatness of "The Dark Knight," though I hope I'm wrong). This is the first must-see event of the year. This has been compared to the "Twilight" saga being that it's also based on a series of young adult books by a female writer, but this is so far out of those film's league it's not even funny.

9/10 (A)

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

MG Casey wrote:
Overall I thought it was great. The cast was perfect, especially Woody Harrelson and Jennifer Lawrence.

My only complaints: They could have built up the intensity of the games a little more, and made Katniss more of an underdog. And the freaking shakey cam was very disappointing.

Still, they did a much better job that I thought they ever could on capturing Suzanne Collins' world, especially all of the Capitol parts.

A-

This is spot on. I really liked it. And I love Jennifer Lawrence.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Extraordinary

I liked it for the most part (and i actually want to see it again) but there was something missing from it to make it fantastic.

I liked it more than the book, mainly 'cause I thought it was written very badly and I thought Katniss (and her narration) was annoying.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:45 pm
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=672

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 pm
Pure Phase

trixster wrote:
cheap-looking

Two very well-chosen words. The movie has this very slapdash quality. The cinematography is so crap. They try to copy the Greengrass aesthetic and fail. At times even the way one scene gives way to the next feels wrong and poorly considered. For example, no shots of Katniss and Peeta returning home after winning the game. It goes right from them in the field to her having a conversation days later with the Harrelson character. A few shots of them winding down and breathing a sigh of relief and embracing in the "helicopter" would have been so natural.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 pm
Pure Phase

Serious question: When Peeta joined the Evil Tributes Posse, had he just gone full douche? He didn't seem interested in helping Katniss up there in the tree. I thought for sure, when the others fell asleep, he would help her escape. But...he didn't.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:02 am
Extraordinary

I really enjoyed it.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am
Pure Phase

The game seemed so short; 2 days? Maybe 3? I'm not sure then why so much early exposition was devoted to mastering the terrain, finding food and water, finding shelter, etc. It was more just a matter of murder. ;) Everything "survival" related seemed to be fairly easy for the tributes. Not much woodland resourcefulness was required.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:36 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

David wrote:
Serious question: When Peeta joined the Evil Tributes Posse, had he just gone full douche? He didn't seem interested in helping Katniss up there in the tree. I thought for sure, when the others fell asleep, he would help her escape. But...he didn't.

A high score from the judges helps gain sponsors, but it also makes you a target for the other tributes, especially among careers. Peeta forms an alliance with the careers to keep them away from Katniss, to protect her, but the gamekeepers have to put on a show and force the tributes to cross paths which resulted in them finding her anyway.

As to why he didn't attempt to rescue her during the night becomes clear in Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I don't really know how to explain it without spoiling it. But remember, at that moment, only one person could be crowned victor.

And the games were longer in the book, over two weeks.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next