Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Elizabeth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Elizabeth 
College Boy Z

Post Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Quote:
Elizabeth is a 1998 biographical film written by Michael Hirst, directed by Shekhar Kapur, and starring Cate Blanchett in the title role of Queen Elizabeth I of England, alongside Geoffrey Rush, Christopher Eccleston, Joseph Fiennes, Sir John Gielgud, Fanny Ardant and Richard Attenborough. Loosely based on the early years of Elizabeth's reign, in 2007, Blanchett reprised the role in the sequel, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, covering the later part of her reign.

The film brought Australian actress Blanchett to international attention. She won several awards for her portrayal of Elizabeth, notably a BAFTA and a Golden Globe in 1998, while the film was also named the 1998 BAFTA Best British Film. Nominated in 7 categories in the 71st Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actress, it won the Academy Award for Best Makeup.

The film sees a young Elizabeth elevated to the throne on the death of her half-sister Mary I, who had imprisoned her. Her reign over the divided and bankrupt realm is perceived as weak and under threat of invasion by Early Modern France or Habsburg Spain. For the future stability and security of the crown she is urged by advisor William Cecil (Attenborough) to marry, and has suitors in the Catholic Philip II of Spain and the French Henri, Duc d'Anjou. She instead embarks on an affair with the wholly unsuitable Robert Dudley (Fiennes).

Elizabeth must counter threats from within such as the powerful 4th Duke of Norfolk (Eccleston), and from the armies of Mary of Guise (Ardant) garrisoned in Scotland. She also faces plots from Rome directed by Pope Pius V (Gielgud). Assisted by her 'spymaster' Francis Walsingham (Rush), she puts down the threats both internal and external, ruthlessly executing the plotters. Elizabeth eventually ends her affair and resolves to marry no-one except England. The film ends with Elizabeth assuming the persona of 'The Virgin Queen', initiating England's Golden Age.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:16 pm
Veteran

I'm a big fan of historical dramas so I enjoyed this. Cate Blanchett became one of the greats with this performance. I also thought Geoffrey Rush was very good as well. It's visually impressive also. I would rate it a B+.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

I would give this a solid B. Cate Blanchett was amazing, as was Rush. It was a bit slow at times and could become confusing to those who don't know the story, but overall a great movie.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The movie was good, but became a bit too confusing at times. Cate Blanchett's superb performance alone, however, really helped it. She deserved to win Best Actress, by far and away!

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

With this film, Cate Blanchett captured the attentions of the masses. She is one of the most gifted and mutable actors of our modern time. This film, was well crafted and the story line well represented. One of my favourite parts was when she as Queen circumvented the manipulative and wayward Church and blew them and their would be conspirators to the moon, thusforth bringing about England's Golden Age. It was sorely thwarted at the Oscars and deserved the best picture accolade, but who needs a bloody Oscar when you have won the hearts and mind of the public.

I hear that Cate will soon be revisting her role as Elizabeth I in a film about her years of rule. I look forward to it.

A-

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Elizabeth
good film but some parts really dragged the film.

b+

Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Loved it - - the film in which I fell in love with Cate Blanchett...

Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:36 am
life begins now

Cate Blanchett was amazing in this, and it of course was visually stunning. I wasn't quite as impressed with the overall movie as most, though.

B+

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:00 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]