Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Dear John 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Dear John 
---------

Post Dear John
Dear John

Quote:
Dear John is a 2010 American romantic drama-war film starring Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried. It was released theatrically in North America on February 5, 2010. The film was directed by Lasse Hallström, and it is an adaptation of Nicholas Sparks's novel of the same name. This dramatic warm movie was the first Sparks adaptation not to be distributed by Warner Bros. It follows the life of a soldier (Channing Tatum) after he falls in love with a young woman (Amanda Seyfried). They decide to exchange letters to each other after he is deployed to the war.

Despite receiving negative reviews, the film made a strong box office performance, knocking off Avatar after seven weekends in first place and grossing a total of $112,157,433 worldwide. The film was released on May 25, 2010 on DVD and Blu-ray.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:38 am
Sbil

Post Re: Dear John
Pleasant albeit forgettable. Dear John is a pretty standard romance elevated by the likability of stars Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried, who make an appealing couple. Special mention should be made of Richard Jenkins, who gives an affecting performance as Tatum's father. This is certainly no The Notebook or even A Walk to Remember when it comes to Nicholas Sparks adaptations, but there is an inherent peacefulness in the way director Lasse Hallstrom lets things unfold. The film almost totally sags near the end and has a clumsy and abrupt ending, but everything that comes before that is satisfactory enough for those who want their romances appropriately sappy. B-

Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:41 pm
You must have big rats

How does it compare to Nights in Rodanthe (incase you've seen that)?

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:
How does it compare to Nights in Rodanthe (incase you've seen that)?

Haven't.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 pm
Another You

Very average romance. The story involving John's father saves it from being a disappointment.

B-

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:52 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Lecter - I hated Nights In Rodanthe (D). Dear John was about average for a romance adaptation, certainly superior to Rodanthe.

Richard Jenkins was FANTASTIC as always, and the film has some bright spots, however it's just very lazy in others. A mixed bag, as expected. Girlfriend loved it and cried along with a bunch of other females in the sold out audience. WOM should be pretty good, I would assume.

C

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:09 pm
Forum General

Mr. Lobotomy wrote:
Lecter - I hated Nights In Rodanthe (D). Dear John was about average for a romance adaptation, certainly superior to Rodanthe.

Richard Jenkins was FANTASTIC as always, and the film has some bright spots, however it's just very lazy in others. A mixed bag, as expected. Girlfriend loved it and cried along with a bunch of other females in the sold out audience. WOM should be pretty good, I would assume.

C

just wondering if these movies can even be compared as you have Nights with the 60'ish? Gere and the 50ish Ladd and the other with the actors in their 20s???...that age gap just sets up 2 much different movies.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:18 pm
---------

Actually thought it was quite solid. It wasn't too manipulative, which was surprising considering its story's events revolved around 9/11, as well as the fact it was a Nicholas Sparks movie. I thought the two leads were pretty great, and Richard Jenkins as the father definitely was a standout.

B

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 pm
College Boy Z

This wasn't good, except for Richard Jenkins.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:51 pm
You must have big rats

B-

Among Nicholas Sparks adaptations, it is right around the average. Nowhere as good as The Notebook, but probably on the same level as Nights in Rodanthe. It just follows the typical, pretty much trademark formula of Sparks' novels (only that, for a change, none of the leads dies - what a twist!).

There isn't much to say about the film other than it is a typical sappy melodrama one would expect from Sparks. Amanda Seyfried does a respectable job given her part, but Channing Tatum presents himself from his wooden side. It's too bad considering the actor has shown solid acting in The Guide to Recognizing Your Saints but hasn't repeated since then. It is, however, Richard Jenkins who singlehandedly makes this film something better than it actually is. He is fantastic and if the same performance had been in a different film he would have been up for some awards consideration. His turn is touching, believable and very human. He is the heart and the soul of the film and not the actual romance which is fine, even though there isn't much chemistry between the leads.

An okay film with a standout supporting performance.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

The first half was pretty good, but I thought it fell apart in the second half. Hated where the story went.

C

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:44 am
We had our time together

Extremely average. I'm a big Seyfried fan and while she was solid, Tatum just isn't a good actor. Best performance definately belongs to Jenkins. Wasn't a fan of the ending either. C+

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:00 am
Profile WWW
now we know

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Channing Tatum is unbearably dumb-looking in this film. Each scene he acts in, it's as if someone has asked him to find the square root of 4,546,648. He looks constantly confused and emotionless. The worst acting I've seen in such a long time. The film too, is actually just garbage, with countless errors, clichéd moments and stupidities. Not even Richard Jenkins' average performance can make up for this horse shit.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]