Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Paranormal Activity 3 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8

Paranormal Activity 3 
loyalfromlondon

Post Paranormal Activity 3
Paranormal Activity 3

Quote:
Paranormal Activity 3 is a 2011 American supernatural horror film. It is the third film of the Paranormal Activity series and serves as a prequel, set 18 years prior to the events of the first two films. It was released in theaters on October 21, 2011. The film broke financial records upon release, setting a new record for a midnight opening for a horror film ($8 million), the best opening day for a horror film in the United States ($26.2 million), the highest opening for any film in October, highest opening for a film in the fall (September–October), and setting a record opening for the franchise ($52.6 million).

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:19 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Paranormal Activity 3
B (ish)

More 'big' moments than Paranormal Activity 2 (the fan-camera is brilliant), but I really sort of hated the ending. The whole thing reminded me of The Last Exorcism's finale crossed with Saw IV's sense of "come back next year for the ending of this movie!"

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:01 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Dark Shape wrote:
B (ish)

More 'big' moments than Paranormal Activity 2 (the fan-camera is brilliant), but I really sort of hated the ending. The whole thing reminded me of The Last Exorcism's finale crossed with Saw IV's sense of "come back next year for the ending of this movie!"

When you say comeback for the ending next year, are you referring to the Katie/Hunter angle from PA2 at the end???

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

No, I mean PA3 has an ending that's more abrupt and open-ended than PA2's.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:40 am
Wallflower

I agree about the very ending. It doesn't feel complete. It was all so short. I expected more from it considering all of the hype about the last 15 minutes. And I too was reminded of the ending of The Last Exorcism.

I still liked the movie a lot. Would give it a B+, though it's not as great as the first two.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:52 am
Extraordinary

I liked the ending better on second viewing, as some things regarding the mythology were clarified for me. Pretty definitely rate the film higher than PA2 now.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:00 am
Wallflower

The Dark Shape wrote:
I liked the ending better on second viewing, as some things regarding the mythology were clarified for me.

How so?

That's cool that you liked it better the second time around.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 am
Extraordinary

After watching the first two again this week (first time since opening night), I was fresh on the mythology and assumed we were dealing with the ramifications of Kristy and Katie's grandma's deal with the demon as brought up in PA2. It was only on second viewing that it really struck me (in a major "DUH!" moment) that we're actually watching the deal going down. It's not something that happened in the far-off past, just when the two leads were little girls.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:49 am
Teh Mexican

Weren't there a lot, and i mean A LOT of scenes missing from the trailer?

-Mom getting dragged and slammed on her bed
-Some guy gets slammed on the table
-When Kristi throws water in the air
-Kristi with the knocking game
-Kristin playing in the stairs/jumping to the first floor from her bedroom
-The creepy drawings in Tobys "room"
-The electrical wires spark
-The house burns

I honestly was looking forward to a lot of these missing scenes. The movie was OK, a bit boring at times, specially the last 15 minutes that supposed to be the most hardcore part of the movie. Like Mike said, It felt so incomplete and way to short. Obviously not a good as the first two.

HUGE disappointment.

B-/C+

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:01 am

matatonio wrote:

-The house burns

I honestly was looking forward to a lot of these missing scenes. The movie was OK, a bit boring at times, specially the last 15 minutes that supposed to be the most hardcore part of the movie. Like Mike said, It felt so incomplete and way to short. Obviously not a good as the first two.

HUGE disappointment.

B-/C+

Yeah, that is a bit of a copout now isn't it??? Guess it's all about $$$ in putting the Deleted Scenes you mentioned on Blu-ray/DVD, but really surprising the scenes you listed weren't in the movie.. I mean, how much longer would the movie have been had the scenes been included?? What?? A big 5 minutes more??? The guy getting his head slammed on the table looked intense, but I can't believe they didn't include this?? A Big WTF moment there Oren Pelli.. :blink: Also, it's very interesting how people are saying this is the best of the 3 and how intense it is and yada yada yada, then you post the scenes missing and that makes it an even MORE WTF moment in how people say this is the best of 3???? I mean, really??? Based on this, there's no way this could be as good as it's being touted...

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:56 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

matatonio wrote:

-The house burns

HUGE disappointment.

B-/C+

Thank god people started to see the truth

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:56 am
College Boy Z

I totally forgot about the grandma's deal in PA2 when watching this movie, so it seemed like it came out of nowhere until now. That's pretty awesome and ties everything together very nicely.

And this was far scarier than PA2. I still LOVED the first, but this was pretty great, I thought.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:22 pm
Extraordinary

I think I'm bumping my grade up to a B+. When it works, it really works. And the film's sense of humor really comes across well without diluting scares. How great was the Bloody Mary bit? So many jumps, yet totally hilarious at the same time due to Randy's reactions.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:31 pm
Wallflower

I thought they did a great job for it being a third movie. There are a lot of really well-done moments. And that camera fan is brilliant. My stomach was in knots every time it would go back and forth. I kept expecting something to startle me. I had my leg up resting across my other leg and every time they went to the camera fan I'd put it down because I was scared I'd jump and kick the person in front of me. LOL. Really my only major gripe is the letdown of an ending. It's all just over so fast.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:07 pm
Teh Mexican

grandma was mentioned on the sequel?! How and when? i dont remember...

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:15 pm
Extraordinary

Teen Daughter does a Google search that reveals demons go after babies or some such after making deals with people. She figures that someone in the family, grandma probably (or great-grandma), made a deal with the demon for power or wealth, and that's why it wants Hunter.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:51 pm
Extraordinary

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3

Okay, I got to watch this yesterday at 1940 with a sold out audience at a decent theatre with patrons who don't comment at the screen or snicker or scream ahead of time, so I was pleased with that. I am one of those who has enjoyed the series. When I first saw #1 and the way it ended I was a bit disappointed but over other viewings and #2 I have accepted that this is how that film works. It builds you up slowly with a little visual thing here or noise there up to a climactic abrupt ending. You would think people would be used to that development by now but hearing people after the show go "boo" or "that was stupid" "dumb" is just annoying to me. Makes me wonder why they even bought a ticket to the film. Did you not see the previous pictures? Anyway, ya that's my mini-rant on the audience after the show comments. I liked the movie. It built things up like before and there were more than a few "gotcha" moments that really did get the audience and they enjoyed it. One moment I have to spill really had me churning because I was sure something bad was going to happen was when the woman was in the kitchen doing you know what. That scene had me covering my face almost. Ooh. I think the highlight of the film was the whole episode with Randy in the bathroom. Audience was eating that whole thing up. "Get it together Randy!" Overall, it's a good once view type thing especially with an audience. I don't think these are good repeat viewing pictures on dvd either but I'd certainly recommend you watch it once to get that audience effect.

Grade - B

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:26 pm
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=482

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Mike wrote:
I thought they did a great job for it being a third movie. There are a lot of really well-done moments. And that camera fan is brilliant. My stomach was in knots every time it would go back and forth. I kept expecting something to startle me. I had my leg up resting across my other leg and every time they went to the camera fan I'd put it down because I was scared I'd jump and kick the person in front of me. LOL. Really my only major gripe is the letdown of an ending. It's all just over so fast.

That was your only major gripe after listing the amount of scenes that were on the TV Spots, but not in the movie??? See?? That should be even more of a major gripe to ya I would think?? And even after they deleted the amount of scenes you listed a few posts back, the movie is still good??? :-k

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It's fun how the TV spots don't give away the best moments in the film. I highly doubt those scenes were deleted; wouldn't it be more feasible they were shot expressly for the advertising?

If it was the opposite situation, BKB, you would be here bitching how the TV spots ruined the movie, they just showed all the good moments to bring people in, etc.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:16 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

SO scary. I screamed at the end ;) A-

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:52 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

David wrote:
It's fun how the TV spots don't give away the best moments in the film. I highly doubt those scenes were deleted; wouldn't it be more feasible they were shot expressly for the advertising?.

They were shot for the film, but in a loose way. They shot a number of different variations on most moments to see how they'd come together in editing.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 pm
Where will you be?

Question: Is seeing the second Paranormal Activity in any way a prerequisite to seeing this one?

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:33 am

MovieDude wrote:
Question: Is seeing the second Paranormal Activity in any way a prerequisite to seeing this one?

Yes.. I mean, why skip 1 and not see the others???

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Eh, everything I heard about the second Paranormal Activity suggested it was just more of the same from the first one, which I found to be fun but overhyped. This one sounds more fun, and being a prequel I figured I could 'get it' without whatever is in the second film. Is there dense mythology that would somehow make this entry confusing?

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next