Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Dream House 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Dream House 
loyalfromlondon

Post Dream House
Dream House

Quote:
Dream House is a 2011 American thriller film directed by Jim Sheridan and starring Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz and Marton Csokas. It was released on September 30, 2011 in the United States and Canada by Universal Pictures and Morgan Creek Productions.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:51 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Dream House
My review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=456

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:51 pm
Pure Phase

Can't get over this damn movie. I can't believe it ends with a 10-second "--and he published a novel, and we see it in the window" scene. UGH.

I'm often such an apologist for my favorite directors, too. Jim Sheridan has shattered my heart. :P

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:47 am
Wallflower

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Would have been even better had they not given away a major twist in the trailer. If I didn't already know it I would have been quite surprised.

Also, I'm a fan of Noami Watts but she is given nothing to do in her role. Disappointing.

6/10 (B-)

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:14 am
Superman: The Movie

I could accept the sudden switch in the middle when it turns out that Craig has created a false universe around him to help him cope. I could accept that he sees his wife's kids over and over again. But in the actual logic of this movie, a ghost is able to move a couple of wind chimes and knock some shit around in order to stop an actual real person from catching up with another real person. If there was ANY OTHER part in the movie in which we could see that in this universe ghosts are in fact real, then this would've been easily forgivable. But it comes out of fucking nowhere.

Up until that point that movie was kind of middling for me. I liked the chemistry between Craig and Weisz (go figure) and I was sort of enjoying the mystery, but all in all it was pretty forgettable. Then that happened.

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Dream House

A good film. It engrossed me, and I didn't see the twist coming, and the orignality of the twist coming in the middle of the movie as opposed to the end was nicely received. Daniel Craig acted well, which was more of how I remember him from Layer Cake, not Bond where he isn't suited. I really liked it.

A few points I disliked were that the two dead bodies that would have been in the house at the end, what happened to them? Where's the explanation to the authorities about how they died? Why they were there? He was just allowed to go and write a bestselling book with these murderous actions having over his dead? And that last scene with him on the street looking at his books in the window was really corny and totally not needed. It spoiled the brilliance of the movie for me. They should have just let it be after the house on fire fade to black.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This has a nice cast and the concept is interesting, it works from start but it really loses its way towards the end. Once Craig suspects he is Peter Ward it just gets too erratic, trying to be too many things it seems. The second half of the film is rushed and the ending comes out of nowhere, with the neighbors husband and the stranger getting involved "a la" The Fugitive and the story just never comes together this way. A shame as this had more potential for sure.

C+

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 am
Defeats all expectations

The first half of this was very good. I was impressed by the ability of the filmmakers to tell the story of a delusional mind visually. The second half was subpar mystery thriller, deviating too far from the first half.

68/100

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]