Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 While You Were Sleeping 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

While You Were Sleeping 
College Boy Z

Post While You Were Sleeping
While You Were Sleeping

Quote:
While You Were Sleeping is a 1995 romantic comedy film directed by Jon Turteltaub and written by Daniel G. Sullivan and Frederic Lebow. It stars Sandra Bullock as Lucy, a Chicago Transit Authority token collector and Bill Pullman as Jack, the brother of a man whose life she saves, along with Peter Gallagher as Peter, the man who is saved, and Peter Boyle, Glynis Johns, Micole Mercurio, and Jack Warden as members of Peter's family.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:05 am
Sbil

Oh, my god. I just smile when I watch this movie. Do you ever just watch something and have a big, goofy ol' smile plastered on your face at the end?

That's what While You Were Sleeping is like for me.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:07 am
Award Winning Bastard

Totally charming movie! Libs, I take back all of the times I thought to myself that you didn't have great taste in movies, because I was wrong. (I never really thought that, but that was my way of giving a compliment :wink: )

When I first put it in, two things immediately told me I was going to get comfortable watching it right away. The first was the catchy little opening song that plays, and the second was seeing that two of my favorite old timers, Jack Warden and Peter Boyle, were in it. Sandra Bullock (Sandra is so adorably cute) plays Lucy, a 30 something year old lonely woman who works at a toll booth down at the train station. After a brief encounter with one of the patrons named Peter, in which Lucy is very attracted to, she witnesses him being mugged and knocked unconscious onto the train tracks. Lucy saves his life and gets him to the hospital, and they only let her in with him when she is mistook for his fiance' , when one of the nurses overgears Lucy talking to herself in a fantasy moment.

Peter is in a coma, and his family rush to the hospital to see him, and they "buy" Lucy as his future wife, because they had lost contact with Peter and wouldn't have known. Lucy is invited to the Callaghans for the holidays, and feels so at home, and the sense of family is not lost on her. Enter Jack, Peter's brother, played by Bill Pullman. Jack gets suspicious of Lucy right away, and is always trying to trip her up. She even has to prove that she's Peter's fiance' to the family (except for Saul, played by Jack Warden, who already knows she's not), by telling them something that they didn't know. Peter only had one testicle, something Lucy must have been looking at when she was there alone at night watching him as he lay in a coma. :razz: (never heard the term "Schmeckle" used before , until I heard Jack Warden use it)

As time goes by, Lucy becomes more and more a part of the family, and gets closer and closer to Jack, and you can tell that the sparks are starting to fly between them. Unfortunately, Peter comes out of his coma (I realize that sounded bad of me to say...) , and the family rush to see him, but he obviously doesn't recognize Lucy. Luckily (again, bad bad me [-X ) , Peter is mistaken as somebody with amnesia, so Lucy still is believed to be his fiance' , and Saul, who wanted Lucy to keep the charade going because of how she had brought Peter back into their family's life , does his best to convince Peter that Lucy is the girl of his dreams. Peter's real fiance' shows up steaming mad, but Peter doesn't consider her a real finace' , because she turned him down, and he's determined to marry Lucy. Jack face says it all about how he feels about that.

The wedding day arrives, and after a little slapstick, Lucy gets to the alter, but objects before the priest can even start. Jack quickly objects too. Even Peter is half objecting...lol Peter's "fiance'" bursts in and objects, followed closely by her husband. :shock: Lucy confesses the whole deal, and tells the family she's in love with Jack, and tells them how much they all meant to her in a very heartwarming scene, and then walks out embarrassed by the events. In the final touching scene, Jack, with the whole Callaghan family in tow, makes a stop at the toll booth where Lucy works, and asks her to marry him. She accepts, the marry, and ride off into the nearest tunnel. The end!

Like I said, totally charming movie. Great chemistry between Bullock and Pullman, great cast, funny moments (that bike spill had to hurt), and just a very well made film all around.

A

I am really going to do my best to get Heartbreakers in before I go to sleep, but if I can't make it, I will be sure to get to it asap.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:57 am
Veteran

It's nice to watch this and see Sandra Bullock become a star, much the way Julia Roberts did in Pretty Woman. Sure, Sandra had Speed before this, but she shared that with Keanu....this time, the movie belongs to her. My grade: B+.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:45 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This is definitely one of the better romcoms I know and probably Bullock's best romcom as well. This movie is simply so cute and Libs is right, this is the kind of a movie that makes you just smile most of the time. Sandra Bullock is funny and very charming. I thought Bill Pullman was pretty bland, but that didn't matter much. The movie is clichéd, very sappy and predictable and yet such a warm experience and very rewatchable.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Very cute, very sweet romcom

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: While You Were Sleeping
Good Romantic comedy, and its always great to see the always underrated Bill Pullman.

A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:55 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

An adorable romantic comedy. One of Sandra Bullock's finest films.

A-

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am
Profile YIM
life begins now

One of Sandra's finest films. She's completely adorable.

B+

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:36 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Sandra Bullock carries this movie and I feel in hands of any less actress this would have been a mess because of the cliched nature of the story/plot. While there is a great chemistry between the leads their love story needed a little more time to evolve.

B+

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]