Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Transformers: Dark of the Moon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 26%  26%  [ 10 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
D 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 38

loyalfromlondon

Post Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Quote:
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (also known as Transformers 3) is a 2011 American science fiction/action film, part of the Transformers film series, directed by Michael Bay and produced by Steven Spielberg. It is the sequel to Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and was released on June 29, 2011. The film is presented in regular 2D, Real D 3D and IMAX, featuring Dolby Surround 7.1 sound.

Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson and John Turturro reprise their starring roles, with Peter Cullen returning as the voice of Optimus Prime and Hugo Weaving returning as the voice of Megatron. Ehren Kruger, who collaborated in the writing of the last film, was again involved in the writing. Despite having been initially confirmed for the film, and with the film already into principal photography, it was announced that Megan Fox would not be reprising her role from the previous two films. With Fox's character (Mikaela Banes) being dropped, Sam was assigned a new love interest, portrayed by English model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. Also, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, having written the last two films, did not return for this installment in the series, which Orci had earlier somewhat anticipated, fearing the duo would "risk getting stale". Bay has stated this would be his last installment in the series. In May 2011, it was announced that Paramount Pictures had bumped Transformers: Dark of the Moon's release date of July 1, 2011, two days earlier, June 29, in order to receive an early response to footage. The film was then released one day earlier, June 28, in select 3D and IMAX theatres, nationwide.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:53 pm
ef star star kay

Post Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Annoying Shia, featured songs that made less sense (they even filmed it like a very long music video -the light/the camera-), fugly bitch, the LOL slow-mo action sequences, the ridiculous government involved plotline (unit this, section that... who are these people? and wait a minute who the eff are those? seriously a story in Bay's film is hand-down harder to follow than any of Terrence Malick films, I can't even write a proper summary to the whole thing I just watched).

C

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 pm
We had our time together

Just awesome. I'm a big fan of the first two movies and this one was the best yet. The last hour was epic. And the 3D was the best I've ever seen. Definately going to see it again. A

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

And what the eff with the pointless fade in/fade out between scenes? That's low, even for a Michael Bay film.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Now this is how you make a fucking Transformers film. Everything part did wrung this did right.

B+. last hour was just epic.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 am
Romosexual!

A+ :D

Reviews were right. It was way better than part 2 & up there with part 1.
Also the best 3D I've ever seen since AVATAR.

Now what the fuck are they going to do in part 4 for a
Spoiler: show
villain now that Megatron is dead????

Oh and Shockwave...
did they kill him? I couldn't tell

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 am
College Boy Z

The greatest movie in the history of the planet. :watsup:

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 am
Indiana Jones IV

So they kill the coolest autobot, Ironhide, and nobody gives a fuck, or even mentions it? Bullshit. The autobots still have no developed personalities (I think Ratchet had even less to do in this than in ROTF) and neither do their enemies (Megatron did fuck all in the final battle except lying down in an alley like a hobo until that hot young thang talked some sense into him). Megs had this wicked mad max truck as his vehicle form and you don't do anything with that?? Really?

So Prime mentions that he needs to get his trailer back to access his weapons and flying equipment, yet we never see him go and retrieve it. Why the hell not!? How cool would it have been for him to take Ratchet and Bee and have a few sweet skirmishes on their way to reclaiming his trailer? Why was Bee saving Sam and Army guy one second and the next second he was in a group of autobots that were taken prisoner. We don't get to see any of this shit occur. What the hell is wrong with you Bay!!

On a positive note, the 3D is nice and Bay has learned a thing or two about restraint with the camera. There are some very nice tracking shots and long takes during the action with some very choice slo-mo moments, perhaps too many. Just too much extraneous bullshit getting to these moments though, with forced humour and silly gags. Seriously, what the hell are Ken Jeong and Malkovich doing in this movie? Oh, and it's good to see Bay still representing with another handful of gorgeous silhouetted helicopter shots.

I anxiously await a Transformers movie in the hands of someone more capable to do it justice and realize the potential.

P.S. Soundwave is a fuckin Mercedes..........really?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Transformers 3

First impressions.

It's too long.
Alot of slow parts.
Not enough actual autobot decipticon action.
Starscream killed by Sam.
Megatron played by a female human.
Story wasn't very interesting
Too much US soldier bull.

I did enjoy Sentinel's deception.
I actually liked most of the comedy though some was definitely eye rolling.

If they contemplate doing another it needs to be off damn planet earth.
It needs dinobots.

PS. I couldn't wait for the film to be over.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:59 am
Extraordinary

Megatron's a little bitch, huh?

Not quite as stupid as the first two. Still way too long. Couldn't tell who was who in many fights. Got a bit bored during the Chicago battle.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 am
Forum General

Very disappointed in this. I really liked the first movie and I've rewatched it a few times. The second movie was largely poor, though it had some good humor and a few nice scenes. This movie is all kinds of awful.

The good: The girl was a better actress than I expected (I wasn't expecting much though.)
There were some decent 3D effects, and some good battle sequences. The basic plot could have made for an interesting movie if it didn't get all mucked up by Bay. Sentinel's deception was pretty cool.

The bad: When you highlight an actresses hotness with the camera, like Fox working on the car in the first movie, and it's from a characters perspective, it's okay. When you do it from the camera mans view (new girls ass at the beginning), it's kind of disturbing. What's up with robots with hair? Stupid. The dialogue, especially the second half, is eye-rolling bad. Where did Sam's parents go? They disappeared half way through and were never shown again. Frances McDormand is so much better than this material. Even she couldn't make here character work. The plot jumps around so much it's hard to keep track of. WAY TO MANY slow mo scenes. I could keep going, but I'm sure you get the point.

I watched Battle: Los Angeles on DVD a few weeks back and it's WAY better than this.

C (I could go lower, but the effects are quite good, the girl was better than expected, I did laugh a few times, and I liked the base plot, at least the parts I could follow.)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I plan on seeing this, but I absolutely refuse to see it in 3D.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:19 am
Profile YIM
Where will you be?

Michael Bay films represent everything that's wrong with America. They're crass and excessive, full of carelessly brutal violence, shrill humor, and the sort of chest-thumping jingoism that leads to us starting wars just because we can. But god help me I still love his movies. NO ONE does action like Michael Bay does. Sometimes it's unmotivated, frequently it's fucking ridiculous, but it's always a great spectacle. Transformers: Dark of the Moon continues that trend, with bursts of action that crescendo into a propulsive, captivating, how-will-they-top-THAT finale. Unlike Revenge of the Fallen, the two and a half hours are reasonably well paced by Bay standards. It's more or less a given that his movies will be bloated, but no one else could show us the stuff he does.

And holy hell, the 3D is amazing! Each individual explosion has hundreds of pieces of shrapnel flying towards and around the spectator. Slow-motion falling and swooping allow an enormous depth-of-field. Best of all, the nature of 3D forces Michael Bay to make his action clear and cohesive. The length of shots is drawn out, and on a micro level (the larger sequences are edited together in a slapdash fashion) spatial geography is unbelievably vivid. This is hands down the best 3D I've seen this year, and I like to think I'm rather picky, shunning post-conversion bullshit whenever possible. I'm of the opinion that the best 3D mixes computer animation and live action, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon absolutely supports that assertion. All I can really say is that the 3D, here more than any non-Zemeckis film I've seen, is worth the surcharge.

At the end of the day, you should know by know if this is your cup of tea or not. To properly enjoy a Michael Bay film one must not be a miser over trivialities like nuanced characters, realism and subtlety. Go home and watch TCM. If you know how to laugh gleefully at moral bankruptcy and a proud and accomplished dismissal of the laws of physics and competent narrative convention, then go see Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:53 pm
Extraordinary

thompsoncory wrote:

There's no point in really seeing it, then.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:37 pm
Killing With Kindness

The Dark Shape wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

indeed, the 3D is amazing, trumps avatar on many levels.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

BJ wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

indeed, the 3D is amazing, trumps avatar on many levels.

Only in the sense that Bay doesn't care about using it as a backdrop for the full movie, but rather as a tool to increase the in-your-face effects. Personally, I prefer the much more subtle and encompassing use of 3D in Avatar infinitely more.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

Good advice.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:32 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Arsi thought it was awesome. So... I'll be seeing it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55 pm
Another You

*spoilers*

Plot/characters - The story was an improvement from TF2 and there were some nice turning points in the film like the autobots "leaving" the humans, Sentinel Prime's disloyalty, Decepticons' whole plot to bring Cybertron to Earth, and a few others. The character additions were fine except for Malkovich and the new chick; hot body, face? not so much. Oh, and the amount of humor both good and bad was slightly less than the previous films.

Action/3D - Fucking epic. There were quite a few action scenes in the beginning that did nothing for me, but once we get to the Chicago battle I just didn't want it to end. At one point, I sooo wanted the Decepticons to suceed and Cybertron to get to Earth just so we could see more shit going on. Also, I was hoping for a really massive explosion of some sorts in the end but it didn't happen. Then the Autobots coming back was too soon and they should have done so when the humans seemed to be totally doomed. To my surprise, the 3D was great but not really amazing IMO. There were some excellent shots in 3D (rocket attack, skyscraper collapse that had LOTS of glass shattering, flying scenes), but there was still some blur in a few action sequences. The 3D in Avatar is still better.

Overall - Best of the summer and the year so far next to X-Men: FC. Like most reviews are saying, it surpasses the previous film but not quite the first. However, all three films are not THAT far from each other.

A-

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Chippy wrote:
Arsi thought it was awesome. So... I'll be seeing it.

Loyal, you were going to go see it anyway whether Baba held your hand or not..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

He's not Loyal BKB.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:27 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

MadGez wrote:
He's not Loyal BKB.

If you say so.. Whatever helps you sleep at night but
It is Loyal whether you want to believe it or not...

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

STEVE ROGERS wrote:
MadGez wrote:
He's not Loyal BKB.

If you say so.. Whatever helps you sleep at night but
It is Loyal whether you want to believe it or not...

Based on what?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:45 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
The aliens told him so.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:40 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

+ The visual effects were flawless
+ The bad transformer that was like a giant worm was cool
+ Frances McDormand gives a somewhat believable performance (she at least tries)

- No one else does
- Practically no plot
- Way too long, gets tedious and boring
- They may have spent 300 million but the action is boring because after a while it becomes a blur, and you don't give a flying fuck about anyone involved, it's like watching someone else play a videogame
- God-awful, cringe inducing dialogue
- Random scenes and characters that go nowhere and add nothing to the "plot"
- Managed to top Revenge of the Sith for worst "love scene" ever
- When Sam and the military guys are entering the city and this shitty emo song comes on like it was an episode of One Tree Hill = top 5 worst moments in any art form ever
- Gratuitious violence and sexualization
- Rosie Hunt whatever may be hot but looking like you're at a Victoria's Secret shoot while a city is blowing up around you doesn't add to the believability factor
- They recycled a shot from The Island during the freeway scene
- The editor went crazy with the blue and orange filters for contrast and everyone looks like they've spent 6 months in a tanning bed

It's possibly the worst film I have ever seen...there are bad films, like Epic Movie, but at least those know they are total shit. This tries to be epic and have some sort of message and drama and conflict, and it all falls right on it's giant, CGI-d, souless, shitty face. Everything that is wrong with Hollywood is on display here. It's a masterclass in how not to make a blockbuster.

F---

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next