Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Submarine 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Submarine 
loyalfromlondon

Post Submarine
Submarine

Quote:
Submarine is a 2010 coming-of-age comedy-drama film adapted from the 2008 novel of the same name by Joe Dunthorne. The film is directed by Richard Ayoade and stars Craig Roberts, Yasmin Paige, Sally Hawkins and Paddy Considine. The film is Ayoade's feature-film directorial debut.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:54 pm
Veteran

Post Re: Submarine
It's ok/good.

I had a couple of problems with the movie though. The jump cuts really irritated me to no end. They reminded me of the way Confessions did it and how it was used effectively and with a purpose. Here, it is just used as an added effect to make the film "quirky". The movie itself is portrayed as quite quirky and didn't need the use of this technique. In the end, it was too much for my liking. I thought the film would have been better served had they just used fade-outs. The other thing is the ending. I thought it felt rushed and that it could have been slightly longer.

On the flipside, the acting and music are fantastic. All of the actors gave believable performances and the music/score really enhanced certain moments and gave a certain atmosphere depending on the scene. The film is funny but never overbearing. Ultimately, it's a likable film that is forgettable soon after.

6.5/10 (C+)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Pure Phase

How much you enjoy Submarine may depend on how much Oliver Tate you have in you. Oliver is the film's protagonist. It's his tragicomic coming-of-age story. He tries and discards different affectations; he had a hat phase once, and he enjoys reading the dictionary. He wears a heavy coats, enjoys French films, etc. He wants to be cultured. He's a bit of a nerd. On the schoolyard he is either being bullied or studying how he can perhaps join the bullies to deflect attention from himself. I see myself in Oliver. Sure he's quite exaggerated in the spirit of Wes Anderson, but his anxieties and idiosyncrasies are easy to relate to, and therefore I found Submarine not just hilarious, but also, in its own strange way, pretty poignant.

This is Richard Ayoade's first film. He's an English television comedian perhaps best known for The IT Crowd, a cult favorite. It's an auspicious directorial debut to be sure. He has an eye for dramatic compositions and does a splendid job capturing the forgotten, melancholy atmosphere of the seaside Welsh town where Oliver lives. Ayoade also laces the film with references to film classics (from The 400 Blows to Don't Look Now). A big assist is provided by Arctic Monkeys singer/songwriter Alex Turner, who wrote a number of gentle, retro songs for the film, the best being a tune called "Piledriver Waltz."

More cynical moviegoers will argue all Ayoade has done is study his favorite films--from the French New Wave to Anderson and Baumbach--and copied their appealing techniques and quirks (never stopped Tarantino), and there may be a degree of truth in this charge at times, yet most of the film is driven by its own energy and its own unique voice. It's never derivative to a fault, and it's clear Ayoade cares for these characters. He's assembled a fine cast, too. Young Craig Roberts is a hoot as Oliver. The minor facial tics, the widening eyes, the dry delivery of lines, it's simply a perfectly calibrated comic performance. Yasmin Paige perfectly complements him as Jordana, the moody girl of his dreams. (Submarine ably captures the electric excitement and gut-wrenching angst of young love.)

And the adult cast is ace. You simply can't go wrong with Sally Hawkins (as Oliver's bored mother), Noah Taylor (as his depressed marine-biologist father), and a hilariously loathsome Paddy Considine as a New Age self-help guru recently moved in next door. Even though the film is told primarily from Oliver's, shall we say, distinct perspective, Hawkins and Taylor succeed in imbuing their characters with real sharp edges and sadness. They turn Ma and Pa Tate into flesh-and-blood human beings, not just pawns on the twee chessboard.

Submarine may not be a benchmark for originality, and those already inclined to hate films such as The Darjeeling Limited and (500) Days of Summer are advised to steer clear. However, if you are similar to me and enjoy wry comedies centered on well-read social outcasts and their romantic and familial plights, you'll be overjoyed with what Richard Ayoade's treat of a movie has to offer.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:29 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

I saw this a few nights ago, just haven't gotten around to posting a review yet. I really really liked this. It does such a good job with everything, the romance, the comedy, family troubles, just everything is done great. The entire cast is pretty perfect and it doesn't drag on too long. I loved how the film was broken up into their own segments and how the film at times just copied some of the very things that Oliver imagines about or just hates. I definitely see the comparisons to (500) Days of Summer and at the moment I'm not sure which is better. Also the Arctic Monkeys influence on the score/soundtrack is one of the best of the year. If it comes by a theater near you, check this out. ****

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:46 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I'm glad you loved it. :)

Such an adorable, well-made movie.

I'd say it's better than (500) Days of Summer, which was a very good film, for two reasons:

1. I feel it's a more accomplished, interesting film on a technical/style level.
2. (500) Days stumbled at the very end. Submarine's ending is more poignant and natural.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:47 am
Veteran

Gunslinger wrote:
I'd say it's better than (500) Days of Summer, which was a very good film, for two reasons:

1. I feel it's a more accomplished, interesting film on a technical/style level.
2. (500) Days stumbled at the very end. Submarine's ending is more poignant and natural.

I couldn't disagree with you more on those two points. I thought 500 Days of Summer was really good and I liked the disjointed narrative structure of the film but here I thought the jump cuts were annoying and used too much.

I liked the ending for 500 Days. I thought Submarine's ending was way too rushed but still good. They could have dragged the ending out a bit longer though to make it more natural.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:13 pm
Wallflower

It was decent. I liked the music by Alex Turner and occasionally enjoyed its wit, but did not like the main characters, especially Jordana. She was a bitch, and on top of that an ugly cow. Not a good combination. Can't believe he was going to kill her dog. That's where I really decided I didn't care for him. Didn't find the stuff going on with his parents even remotely interesting. Felt awful for the Zoe character in the beginning. The end was nice though. These two deserved each other.

B-

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:20 pm
now we know

Ayoade does a grand job of capturing those moments, that first love, those teenage feelings. Clearly written by an adult but it translates well for an adult viewer. Ayoade's quirky, rigid personality shines through every word spoken by Oliver. It is a beautiful film in many ways, and I could identify with Oliver a lot. Oh, and the film has great music. Glad I finally watched this.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]