Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 In America 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

In America 
College Boy Z

Post In America
In America

Quote:
In America is a 2003 drama film directed by Jim Sheridan. The semi-autobiographical screenplay by Sheridan and his daughters Naomi and Kirsten focuses on an immigrant Irish family's efforts to survive in New York City, as seen through the eyes of the elder daughter.

The film was nominated for three Academy Awards including Best Original Screenplay for Sheridan, Best Actress for Samantha Morton and Best Supporting Actor for Djimon Hounsou.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:16 pm
Golfaholic

Deeply moving picture with incredible performances, especially by the two children. Jim Sheridan is back to the form he had at "In the Name of the Father". This is a real jewel starting with the tremendous script and finishing with the song in the credits which should have won the Oscar (and wasn't even nominated). (A-)

Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:25 am
Veteran

My expectations when I watched this were so high that I think I was a little disappointed. The performances are very good, esp. the children of course. However, I'm not sure Djimon Hounsou deserved an Oscar nomination. There were better supporting performances snubbed that year. Still, it's worth watching. My grade: B.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A decent film with some good performances.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:50 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I liked it, I need to remember to buy it.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Its a shame that I havent seen this movie earlier because it definately was one of the movies that makes you appreciate with what your life is and what you really have. Great performances by everyone in the movie from Samantha Morton, the two young actresses, Paddy Considine, and Djimon Hounsou. It was deeply moving without being too sentimental or contrieved. I know its based on a true story but did an actual person named Mateo exist.

A solid A

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:13 pm
Extraordinary

Post In America: Beautiful Grief!
It took me a long time to summon up the energy to go see this one, but the wait was worth it. Ultimately, it is a meditation on the grief experienced by an Irish immigrant family after the death of a child. Hardly a feel good movie in the traditional sense, but I did come out of it a better man. It is supposedly semi-autobiographical based on the director and co-written by his daughters - and it shows in how perfect the roles of the two daughters in the movie are. The two real life sisters who play these roles are simply awesome! It should have won the Oscar for Original screenplay - it sure deserved it.

Plus, I'll never hear the Eagles song Desperado the same way, again...

5 out of 5.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:54 pm
You must have big rats

This is a good movie that reminded me once again, how well off I am actually in my life and that I really don't have much substantial to complain about, This movie is not a masterpiece, but Jim Sheridan does a good job here. The cast is good and the girls acted pretty well. I wasn't too impressed by Samantha Morton, but Djimon Honsou was a real stand-out, in my opinion. Also, the final scenes of the movie were some of the most touching in any movie released that year. I mean the scene when the father finally accepts his son's death.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Moving. Wonderful performances, especially the Bolger sisters. B+

Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I finally saw this, and it was a miracle to see a movie trading this material but never once (okay....ONCE) succumbing to sentimentality or contrivance (ok...ONCE).

So much to love. The amazing performances by the Bolger sisters (especially Sarah, the elder), the "Desperado" scene, the carnival game....

I had some serious issues with the Mateo character, but damnit, when I'm this moved it doesn't matter.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:34 pm
life begins now

Pretty good. Samantha Morton and Djimon Honsou were great, as were the little girls. The husband was not too great, though.

B

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:48 pm
Profile YIM
Some days I'm a super bitch

What a beautiful, eloquent, and poetic movie. In America is not only a great movie in itself, but also, as the title may suggest, a tribute to great American classics like To Kill A Mockingbird and ET. The scene where Johnny (the father) is arguing with Mateo and discovers that he has AIDS is a truly genuine moment that represents how everything (our perceptions, our judgements) can shift for us (if only Crash could have done it so eloquently). Samantha Morton is brilliant as the mother, who makes her love for her children and her husband so palpable, and Djimon Hounsou is so alive and convincing as Mateo, who is essentially the antithesis (and the anecdote) to the character of Johnny. Unfortunately, I doubt In America will receive the recognition it deserves in the Hollywood history books of great American movies, but it certainly deserves to.

A

PS: Did you see this, dolcevita?

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Good movie with great performances, but it was missing a little something to make me enjoy myself more.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]