Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Braveheart 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 15 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 8 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 24

Braveheart 
life begins now

Good movie, but over rated, like Gladiator. B

I would agree that it's overrated, but much moreso than Gladiator, which I actually don't think was. Anyway, I got a little bored with this film, but it has been a while since I've seen it, so maybe it deserves another viewing.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:07 am
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Braveheart
It's fairly manipulative, it paints its characters with extremely broad strokes, and its narrative is archetypal at best and formulaic at worst, but I think all that mostly works for the film, instead of against it. It's not a biopic, it's not a historical drama, and it's not a realistic epic; it's merely a romanticized account of one man's life. I'm not sure if this was Gibson's intention, or if he's even aware of it, but it's there, nonetheless. The screenplay is based not on historical documents or even stories passed down through the ages, but on an ancient poem. That, more than anything, should tell you how to interpret this film. It gets a lot of backlash for being simplistic and romantic, but I think that's what it's supposed to be. Plus it's a rousing good yarn. Probably not Best Picture worthy, but not terrible, either.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:15 pm
Extraordinary

The soundtrack for this film is AMAZING.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

It is a historical fantasy but it is a great film.

A

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:31 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

it's...okay.

not even nearly as cool as far as action and battles go as any of the historical epics of today, and the story surrounding the film never interested me much. it was well-made and all, but is definitely one of the weaker BP winners out there.

B-

Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Sure the battles in Troy and Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven were cool but they had shitty acting. fr

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:43 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

The battles in Braveheart are still one of the best ever made, imo.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I used to love Braveheart. For a time it probably was one of my favorite movies even. And I still like it. I try to watch it once every year. It sort of serves to measure up my perceptions on the movie and how they've changed. It's still epic, it's still full of great battles and everything's in place, but I don't quite react to the ending as I used to. I'll have to see it again next year and see what's what.

But as it stands, Braveheart's good enough. Get's a B from me.

Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Oh great, now I'm a waitress :D

Love this movie, and Gibson was good as the lead. Very dramatic with great ction sequences and an exhilerating and saddening ending.
A/A+

Pan's Labyrinth
Best. Movie. Ever.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:56 pm
now we know

So I watched this again a few days ago and it's such a brilliant film. Mel Gibson gives a great performance and the cinematography and director's eye (again belonging to Mel) is just so inspiring. Great story, great execution. Something for both men and women. While I don't think it should have won Best Picture in 1995, I'm happy that it did.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

What should have won? It's a shame Gibson wasn't even in consideration for Best Actor.

I watched it two days ago and dear god, this movie is fucking perfect.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
While I don't think it should have won Best Picture in 1995, I'm happy that it did.

It was a great year for Best Picture nominees - - I think Braveheart deserved the win, but I would also have been happy to see Babe, Apollo 13, or Sense and Sensibility win. What a contrast to the shit we've seen nominated this millennium.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:14 pm
why so serious?

Not up to Best Picture standards, but it's still pretty solid. The production values are impeccable, the story is fairly rousing (even though it's way too long at nearly three hours), and not even a noticeably faulty accent hampers some of the best work that Mel Gibson ever did in front of a camera. And although this isn't saying a whole lot (given the small sample size), it's also Gibson's best film behind the camera.

B+

I saw it for the first time all the way through almost exactly four years ago, which was a few months before the true degree of Gibson's insanity became public record. I feel bad for anyone who tries to discover the guy's work amid the awful reputation he's had since 2010.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:40 pm
now we know

What should have won?

Heat.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Epic film, still. I probably didn't see it for over 15 years and it was a nice experience all over again. When I first compiled my all time list in the early 2000's I had this as my second favorite film, now upon review and many other film watches I'm down ranking it a bit, but it's still very much a top 10 film of mine.
The strongest part of it, is just the emotional journey Wallace takes me on and the characters are just so strongly characteristic that it makes it all the more dramatic and the acting is just fantastic. It's a little piece of British history just beautifully brought to the screen by Gibson, excellent both behind and in front of the camera. Gleeson and Macfadyen are great in supporting roles and Marceau is just gorgeous and effective too. The score largely consisting of bagpipe music is very impactful and makes me just feel it on the skin. A very well scaled film with great battle sword battle scenes as well. '95 might possibly be the best year in film for me.

A+

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2