Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Bad Teacher 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Bad Teacher 
loyalfromlondon

Post Bad Teacher
Bad Teacher

Quote:
Bad Teacher is a 2011 comedy film directed by Jake Kasdan based on a screenplay by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, and starring Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, and Jason Segel. The film was released in the United Kingdom on June 17 and in the United States and Canada on June 24, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Bad Teacher
Very funny and surprisingly pretty dark. I was totally expecting some kind of redemption for Elizabeth (Cameron Diaz) given the way these movies usually play out, but I was surprised that she pretty much stayed true to her ways throughout. Diaz is hilarious and still charming despite the terrible things her character does, and the awesome Lucy Punch steals every scene she is in as Elizabeth's seemingly-perfect nemesis. Watching these two pitted against each other is easily when the film hits its peak. Phyllis Smith and Eric Stonestreet are also hilarious in smaller roles. Jason Segal is underused but plays his part well. Not faring as well is Justin Timberlake, who is completely over-the-top and annoying here. This isn't going to win any awards, but I had a good time and it should have fairly decent word of mouth. The audience I was with ate it up. B+

Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

It's got laughs, but by the end it's pretty much forgettable. Think of it as if School of Rock and Bad Santa had a half-assed kid.

Also, I like the idea that there are almost no redeeming qualities to Diaz's character whatsoever, but I think in the execution the idea turned out to ruin the film. Black's character in SOR was changed by the kids, Thornton's character is a drunk who is somewhat saved by a kid. Meanwhile Diaz's character is superficial and stays that way throughout. And her rivalry with Ms. Squirrel...

Spoiler: show
Did Ms. Squirrel really deserve to go to jail on drug charges? Again credit the film for sticking with Diaz not coming across as being redeemable/likable at all, but it doesn't work. Lets be honest. Squirrel is extremely annoying (played very well by Lucy Punch), but she was trying to do the right thing. Diaz just wanted bigger tits. Diaz really never has a motivation for any of her actions and that's what hurts the film most.

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but the film could've used a kid (or two) that she could've grown attached to. There's a brief scene at the end where she looks after a kid after he's humiliated, but it's just one scene.

Jason Segal got the most laughs out of me (Michael Higgins would be second). If there's a reason to see Bad Teacher, he's it. The only problem is that he's on the sidelines for most of the film, which from how the film is edited actually turns out to be a good thing because if he was included more the audience would really be clueless as to why he finds Elizabeth so attractive. I felt like all of the scenes in which the reason might have been given was hacked out of the film for some reason.

I'm not sure why, but this year more than any other I've noticed that films seem to be in a rush to get to the end and as a result wind up hurting the film. Another 10 minutes wouldn't have hurt the film. And maybe then we could've figured out what he saw in Elizabeth.

Why do I get the feeling there were a couple of scenes involving "Little Elizabeth" that were left out of the film?

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

It's really funny, but it needed more Jason Segal.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:58 am
Sbil

Bad Teacher is a bit disjointed but is a funny and over-the-top farce. Cameron Diaz seems like she's having a ball as the irreverent title character. Jason Segel (who I adore in pretty much everything) is also on point, although I do wish there had been another scene or two with his character. The movie could've used an extra 10 minutes in general, actually. Justin Timberlake is amusingly twerpy, while Lucy Punch is a riot as a "perfect" teacher actually on the verge of a nervous breakdown throughout the film. The film is successful at making Elizabeth at least somewhat likable without muting her edge, largely thanks to the strong work from Diaz. B

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:47 pm
Extraordinary

Heh - - I dug Bad Teacher's sustained tone of unlikeliness!

I know the director "got it".

I know all the actors "got it".

This is one dry dark comedy with a dirty mouth.

...and, of course, a future cult classic.

243 out of 5.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 am
The Incredible Hulk

OK, but more towards disappointing. As not close to any of the good darker comedies of the last few years.

Diaz at least made the movie watchable.

Segal was basically a waste in this, as he had basically nothing to do, other than just stand there, being the other guy.

Usually I like Timberlake, but here, not really. And what was up with the humping scene? If he was going to cheat on the girl, why not have sex, especially since Diaz was up for it.

Lucy Punch was good, but got tiring in a very expected role, that kept on losing steam as the movie went on.

PS. Had to look and this was directed by a guy who basicaly was a TV director. Figures, especially based on the ending, which got thrown together in the final 2 minutes.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:55 pm
Wallflower

Phyllis Smith (The Office) stole every scene she was in. My friends and I all loved her! She was hilarious.

The movie is a solid comedy, but unforgettable.

Practically all of the vulgar lines in the red-band trailer weren't even in the movie. It's like they filmed them only for marketing.

The C+ CinemaScore rating is not surprising though. Outside of my group it didn't get many laughs. The girls sitting behind us kept saying what a weird movie it was. Not quite sure what they meant, though I suppose the tone had a bit of a bizarre feel at times.

Anyway, a B from me.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:28 am
Pure Phase

Mike wrote:
The movie is a solid comedy, but unforgettable.

Pull-quote for DVD cover.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:26 am
Wallflower

LOL. I could have worded that better. I enjoyed it and found it funny, but it's nothing special.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:38 am
loyalfromlondon

It's no Bad Santa.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:21 am
100% That Bitch

The whole point of the movie is a boobjob...

A-

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Sporadically funny. Camerion Diaz is a riot, but I felt the whole supporting cast dropped the ball. Only Segel was good, but underused. I wasn't a fan of Lucy Punch's Amy Squirrel character. Felt like a too forced and desperate attempt at being funny. Timberlake was horrible.

Also for an R rated comedy it felt too safe and correct.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Cameron Diaz was more annoying in Bad Teacher than funny. Justin Timberlake and Jason Segel definitely make the film more than she does. There could have been a lot of potential with this film but a lot of the jokes fall flat and the film is really just six random adventures put together into one. Also, there were some scenes (including the whiny loving the popular girl kid) that were either overlong or were not as funny as they could have been. *1/2

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

jmovies is in a dark place right now.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:16 am
now we know

Not very funny, but I do love to see a total bitch come out as the winner. It's daring and triumphant in that regard. Jason Segel is brilliant, and really the only reason anyone should watch it -- he's really the only funny person left in Hollywood now that Jim Carrey has lost his mojo and Ben Stiller never even had much of a mojo. He could have had a few more scenes, but I think his character's likeability is that he's not in it that much and therefore comes in and picks the movie up for the men in the audience that are starting to fall asleep. Lucy Punch is kind of ok, but also annoyingly over the top. Justin Timberlake is a total tool. Phyllis Smith was great, although not very laugh-inducing, but I did appreciate her schtick. Cameron Diaz plays the bitch well. But I couldn't stop thinking how she even got the damn gig as a teacher in the first place.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]