Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Sin City 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 44 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 68

Sin City 

Ripper wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

FDTD is great, my favorite vampire film ever! You HAVE to see it!

Also, George Clooney is in it, so you have another incentive.

I'll consider it ;), it depends on how I feel about El Mariachi.

Sin City is at least better then Once Upon a Time in Mexico, one of the most boring films released in recent years.

FDTD is boring

I think all of his films are boring, so this wouldn't shock me. ;)

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Sin city was my favorite film of the year, hands down. A, PS, George Clooney in FDTD is my favorite Quentin written character ever, he is great in the movie. I like it more than any other Robert Rodriguez film except Sin City.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:24 am
You must have big rats

I just realized that I have never actually given my full review on Sin City here, so I catch up with that now.

Sin City is a very daring, heavily flawed and yet amazing piece of work. A lot of good things have been said about the movie's visual style and I can't help, but agree on everything that has been said so far. The movie's visuals, its use of cinemtography, visual effects and its color scheme are simply perfect. It really looks like a living and breathing comic book. It is sad to see this movie being so shamefully ignored at the Oscars, especially in the technical categories.

Now the weaknesses of the movie come in when we get to the storyline. I mean the screenplay is good and well-adapted. We get cool one-liners and interesting characters. However, a lot of stuff just remains rather plain and one-dimensional. I loved the first storyline, with Mickey Roruke. Rourke is fully deserving of all the accolades he got for his role and in a just world, he'd have been rewarded with an Oscar nom. The second storyline, The Big Fat Kill, however, was really lacking and it bored me over several timespans. The movie thankfulkly picks up again in the final third.

The cast ensemble of the film is one of the best I have ever seen and the cast works together really well. The stand-out's are Mickey Rourke, Elijah Wood (I wish he had more screentime!) and Nick Stahl. Jessica Alba delivered the worst piece of acting in the movie, though.

Overall, Sin City is a really good effort that did not succeed entirely and left room for improvement, but still delivered a very fine and rewatchable film (I have seen it three times in theatres) with memorable characters and not-so-memorable storylines.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

That was.....interesting...Very stylish. Me likes. B+

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:40 pm
Teh Mexican

This was my second time seeing it, and other than the Visuals, i still dont see whats so great about it...

my grade is still a C

Tue May 02, 2006 12:52 am
loyalfromlondon

Extraordinarily stylish, probably one of the most visual films of all time. The cinematography, editing, and special FX are all top-notch. It's a shame the stories didn't quite live up to them. Taken on their own, each is fairly interesting, but there's no flow between them. There's slight cross-over, but not nearly enough. Because of this, the film sags in the middle of each tale, as each one drags on for a bit too long.

The acting is all over the place. Each of the three leads (Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Bruce Willis) give great performances, and their internal monologues sound natural. But none of the supporting players can match these three, as they range from over-the-top (Stahl) to wooden (Madsen, Alba) to downright lifeless (Murphy, Dawson). None of them seem able to convey the stylized dialogue naturally. Still, the performances of the three leads more than make up for them.

The real highlight here, of course, is the visuals. It's not just the black and white with flashes of colour, or the computer-generated backgrounds, or the occasional white silhouettes, its the combination of all of this to make a realized, live-action comic book. Every shot is stunning, and the fluid camera only adds to the beauty. Simply amazing.

All in all, an amazing film to watch, if only for the visual treat, that doesn't hold up nearly as well, because of the sub-par stories and acting. Still, an incredible accomplishment.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 pm
All Star Poster

Spectacular film, it had awsome visuals and plenty of brutal killing, IMO it was almost on par with Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill

A

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:29 am

This was my second time seeing it, and other than the Visuals, i still dont see whats so great about it...

my grade is still a C

Precisely, though I don't think its visuals warrant a C grade. It goes goes down hill after the Josh Hartnett scene, and that says something considering he's not exactly Daniel Day-Lewis.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:57 am
On autopilot for the summer

B+
The cast ensemble of the film is one of the best I have ever seen and the cast works together really well. The stand-out's are Mickey Rourke, Elijah Wood (I wish he had more screentime!) and Nick Stahl. Jessica Alba delivered the worst piece of acting in the movie, though..

I actually think the worst acting prize went to Michael Madsen. He just was really bad "You got a bum ticker" I love Madsen, but that was sub par from him. I actually cant give Alba that low a rating because I think its her best acted role, if it is weaker of the leads here.

Little Tid bit, Jessica Alba said she would be topless the entire bar scenes, as it is in the comics, yet Robert Rodriguez said not necessary. :mad:

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:46 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Sin City
The thought of watching even another 10 minutes of this makes my soul cry.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:30 am
Forum General

I caught most (I think?) of this tonight. Didn't go for it.

Then again, I think 300 is maybe the worst movie of the decade. So there's that.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:55 am
You must have big rats

I like Sin City.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Thegun wrote:
Little Tid bit, Jessica Alba said she would be topless the entire bar scenes, as it is in the comics, yet Robert Rodriguez said not necessary. :mad:

As much as I would enjoy seeing Jessicas Alba's circa 2006 titties, I think it was a wise decision by Rodriguez. With sexiness, oft times less is more. As it stands it is an iconic erotic film image, and would have only been degraded by the actress' wish to shed her top...

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:41 am
Forum General

So I'm watching this for the first time since theaters right now. I figured I would go for the extended version. I wish I didn't. :P Has anyone else seen it? It's incredibly annoying. They take all the stories and show them all as short stories with credits in between.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

movies35 wrote:
So I'm watching this for the first time since theaters right now. I figured I would go for the extended version. I wish I didn't. :P Has anyone else seen it? It's incredibly annoying. They take all the stories and show them all as short stories with credits in between.

Yep, it's really annoying. Watched it once, won't do again.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5