Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 TRON: Legacy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

TRON: Legacy 
Pure Phase

Post Re: TRON: Legacy
I'm confused: this wasn't filmed in 3D? I thought the deal was: the "real world" scenes were shot in 2D, the in-the-game content in 3D.

I might see this today.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:28 am
The Wall

6/10 -> C

Seeing Tron and Tron: Legacy back to back really makes clear that TL is a step down from it predecessor. First of all the opening scene made me roll my eyes so hard I actually had to put one of my eyeballs back in because it popped out when (throughout the movie increasingly annoying) Hedlund tried his best impression of Batman.

But then again I thought Tron would be bad but it did pick up a lot once they went into the computer world. So I thought maybe it's the same with TL. And for a brief period of time TL really did seem like it will be a very worthy successor. Until Hedlund (whose head I was hoping would get bashed into little 0's and 1's at this point in the movie) decided to be a hero and go for some action. And then everything fell apart. There was this dude with white hair (a lovechild of Ruby Rhod and Carey's Riddler) and then the titular character was discovered to be reprogrammed into an evil program (and that's a plot device I hate). And the ISO's. Ugh. I would be OK if they actually bothered to develop the story around them. But they were just thrown in here so they could have a sequel to base upon. Argh, I won't go any further. The plot is a mess and needed a lot more work.

I did love the visuals and the music really enhances the whole experience. Daft Punk did a really great job on this one and even though I love TSN score I'd very much like this one to pick an Oscar.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Jeez I don't think I've watched a blockbuster as pathetically developed as this.

Again I'm at fault for just wanting it to be good instead of actually watching trailers/whatnot. Even crap like the Expendables had a plot, as stupid and generic as that was. This was a series of scenes strung together without much thought, yet apparently Pixar had a hand helping to straighten out the 'story' as a last minute fixer. Well, they sure didn't help.

Now, I liked Prince of Persia which was critically bashed, but am still confounded as to why this movie just seemed to lack in everything compared to the worse reviewed POP. Aside from the idiotic first scene in POP, I thought that was a fun movie but this just dragged on and on. The score is not as good as film bloggers made it out to be pre-hype, and for a movie relying on visuals, I sure felt underwhelmed by its use. The lightcycles weren't fast enough, the action was too generic and slow, even the setpieces felt slightly disappointing. But then we get to Clu who I assume is fully animated and boy is he terribly so. Mechanical, unbelievable and creepy it is another shot at this movie.

Olivia Wilde was a standout and I personally thought she showed a side that House does not allow her character to. Hedlund was average and Bridges didn't do much. The story linking them together was really really loose and pathetic. A 27 year old still pining for his father? The dialogue was so forced and the characters had no depth. The sense of fun was missing throughout and badly written scenes are even more prominent than they would otherwise be ie Michael Sheen's cameo, the 'climax' ending or whatever. I can see why this missed its mark. I can also see how it's from Disney.

Disappointing.

C

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Good-looking, boring crap.

Still better than the original, though!

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:20 am
The Kramer

Some of the best visuals I've ever seen. If only grading the movies aesthetics it would be a 10/10. Normally I wouldn't care about poor dialogue in such a rich environment, but when the main character speaking actually distracts me from the action then we have a problem. I still enjoyed the movie though, so I'll give it a 7/10. Why not just remake the first movie with new effects if they knew so little effort would be put into the story.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:15 am
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Why not just remake the first movie with new effects if they knew so little effort would be put into the story.

WTF do stories have to do with movies in 2011?!?

:blink:

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:46 am
100% That Bitch

So.... it was boring and I srsly bw to the soundtrack

C+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu May 05, 2011 1:21 am
now we know

I don't really understand the rules of this universe, and thus I wasn't able to get connected to the film beyond the cool visual effects, powerful soundtrack, and quite breath-taking cinematography (which is expected from a Kosinski film). I don't really like Jeff Bridges too much, and his son in this is not very likeable either, so apart from the brilliant Michael Sheen and the gorgeous, super sexy Olivia Wilde, the performances were not pulling me in.

Technically, it's above-par; with its high-tempo, flowing, suspense brand of movie-making, but narratively it's forgettable, especially to a new generation where the term "TRON" means very little. The halogen suits and weaponry, while cool to begin with, get tiresome the more it goes on, and Jeff Bridges as a younger CGI-version of himself is amazing in terms of attention to detail, but still weird and obviously noticeable as a shiny artificially created self.

Tron: Legacy is cool and ultimately breath-taking, but I felt like a 65-year old technophobe in a world of youngsters and their advanced technology. Kosinski really knows how to make a science-fiction adventure. I look forward to his next.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

I remember liking it a lot back in theatres, but it hasn't hold well over time, still a good film

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:02 am
Devil's Advocate

Very underrated and misunderstood film. Instead of an empty visuals fest, its ambition is more like the Matrix in terms of having religious subtext up the ass and being filled with complex philosophical themes about humanity, underneath the entertaining blockbuster exterior. My biggest complaint is the acting came off as stiff the whole way, especially Hedlund.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2