Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 13 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 31

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
thompsoncory wrote:
I don't really think the Dursleys are necessary. I do like the deleted scene with Petunia showing some humanity towards Harry that's in the extended version but it ruins the flow of the opening sequence, which is honestly one of my favorites of the entire series (re-introducing all the characters and then ending with Hermione walking down the street after erasing her parents' memories).

I think the extended camping scene in the middle ruins the flow more. I just think that Petunia should have had more to do than look into the camera. I mean, it feels like they are camping forever, and they don't even have the Goblin's Revenge stuff, which makes it feel even longer. In the book, the Goblin's Revenge stuff breaks up the camping and helps to hold your attention (Griphook! Dean! Ted Tonks!), but with that cut, they literally are shown walking in different locations for several minutes and then Ron leaves, and then they fucking dance, for an extended sequence. I could see how a scene like that could be okay in the film, but they should not have done like the entire song.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love the dance scene. I know it divides a lot of people, but I think it's lovely and a light moment in a darker movie.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:56 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

I like the scene too, but it could have been saved for the extended edition. It also may have misled audiences into thinking Harry and Hermione would end up together, which obviously didn't happen.

Thompsoncory, it seems like you are defending every change to the source material that they have made based off of the reasons they gave in the Maximum Movie Mode commentary. Not that any of the changes they made damn the movie in any way, but are there any changes they made from the novel that you think are not okay?

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:08 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I haven't listened to the commentary, so I guess that's just a coincidence.

I honestly don't mind any of the major changes that were made to the source material. Granted, I haven't read it in several years (though I was a huge fan of the books), but I fully understand why almost all of the changes were made and I think the movies are actually better for it. If these were page-by-page adaptations of the books they would have sucked, IMO.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:35 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

thompsoncory wrote:
I love the dance scene. I know it divides a lot of people, but I think it's lovely and a light moment in a darker movie.

It's maybe my favorite scene in any of the films.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 pm
Extraordinary

When I was rewatching this it really feels more cinematic than I remember.

I think there are some minor things I could complain about but I do think together both parts Deathly Hallows makes the best film of the series. Both parts hit a lot of emotional beats perfectly I was surprised even Dobby's death made me cry watching it this time.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:53 pm
Extraordinary

publicenemy#1 wrote:
When I was rewatching this it really feels more cinematic than I remember.

I think there are some minor things I could complain about but I do think together both parts Deathly Hallows makes the best film of the series.

I tend to agree. Individually I'd rate AZKABAN and HALF-BLOOD PRINCE higher than both, but taken together I think DEATHLY HALLOWS is the most satisfying film in the series.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 am
---------

The Dark Shape wrote:
I tend to agree. Individually I'd rate AZKABAN and HALF-BLOOD PRINCE higher than both, but taken together I think DEATHLY HALLOWS is the most satisfying film in the series.

:thumbsup: I feel exactly the same upon a re-watch of these movies.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:33 am
Hold the door!

I'm watching the extended version of this for the first time, it addresses the Dursley issue with the Petunia scene. Obviously they couldn't add the Dudley scene due to unfinished green screen, but the Petunia scene is better than nothing.

The only real issue with this film is I don't like them leaving out Lupins storyline. I know he's not a main character in the films, but they may as well have cut him from these movies. It's like he and Tonks are only there to decorate the set. May as well have cut them altogether.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:22 pm
Hold the door!

And of course Wormtail doesn't let them go and get strangled by his hand

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:59 pm
On autopilot for the summer

What's the Dursley issue? They are pretty much a non factor after the first film. I couldn't care less about them. Unless of course there is some major subplot with them.

What's the Goblin's revenge (Never even heard of Goblin)?

And why delete the best scene in the film. The dance scene is pure perfection and unlike anything in a Potter film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:57 am
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
What's the Dursley issue? They are pretty much a non factor after the first film. I couldn't care less about them. Unless of course there is some major subplot with them.

What's the Goblin's revenge (Never even heard of Goblin)?

And why delete the best scene in the film. The dance scene is pure perfection and unlike anything in a Potter film.

The Dursleys were a bigger presence in the books. They were relatively redeemed for their cruelty, especially Dudley, in the beginning of the final book.

The Goblins revenge is one of the two "just camping" chapters in the book where they witness runaway goblins and muggleborns discussing how the sword of Gryffindor that Ginny tried to steal was a fake. Despite the cut of this, the camping scenes still felt long.

The dance scene isn't the worst, but in the novel Hermione and Harry were wrecks until Ron came back and they would not have danced.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:57 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

There's nothing wrong with the dance scene at all. The whole point of that scene is they are trying to lighten things up and have some fun in a dark time. It doesn't mean they still aren't upset.

And the Dursleys scene is good in the extended version, but as I said before it's wholly unnecessary as the opening sequence is perfect as is.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

thompsoncory wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the dance scene at all. The whole point of that scene is they are trying to lighten things up and have some fun in a dark time. It doesn't mean they still aren't upset.

And the Dursleys scene is good in the extended version, but as I said before it's wholly unnecessary as the opening sequence is perfect as is.

Again, the real issue is the use of Lupin and Tonks as set decoration rather than actual characters. Should have just cut them for all their impact.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 pm
On autopilot for the summer

yeah they sound pointless. Couldn't care less about Dudley at this point, and doesn't sound like the goblin thing is relevant. I wish we did see Lupin and Mad Eye and Fred die. Would have been much more impactful. Outside of that, they seemed fine screen time wise.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:29 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've been rewatching all the movies in preparation for seeing Fantastic Beasts tomorrow. This one :wub: I love it so much.

My rankings would be:

1. Deathly Hallows: Part 1
2. Goblet Of Fire
3. Half Blood Prince
4. Deathly Hallows: Part 2
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix
7. Chamber of Secrets
8. Prisoner of Azkaban

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:39 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

thompsoncory wrote:
I've been rewatching all the movies in preparation for seeing Fantastic Beasts tomorrow. This one :wub: I love it so much.

My rankings would be:

1. Deathly Hallows: Part 1
2. Goblet Of Fire
3. Half Blood Prince
4. Deathly Hallows: Part 2
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Order of the Phoenix
7. Chamber of Secrets
8. Prisoner of Azkaban

Who ranks Prisoner of Azkaban at the bottom? And no way is Half Blood Prince better than Order of the Phoenix.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:57 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I do, it's my least favorite.

And Half Blood Prince is easily one of the best, but I feel like I've gotten into this with you before and I won't do it again ;)

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:59 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

1. Azkaban
2. HBP
3. Order
4. Goblet

5. DH2
6. DH1
7. Sorcerers Stone
8. Chamber of Secrets

HBP is the funniest one and, imo, has the best cinematography.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:33 am
now we know

My favourite is Goblet of Fire.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I'm biased toward the first two films, but here is a hopefully a ranking less deserving of ridicule.

1. Order of the Phoenix
2. Deathly Hallows Part 1
3. Chamber of Secrets
4. Deathly Hallows Part 2
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Prisoner of Azkaban
7. Half Blood Prince
8. Goblet of Fire (this is the only one that completely ass raped the book)

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:43 pm
The Kramer

Ass raped how? It cut some stuff but the main story is still there. You can't be that upset about losing the House Elf Liberation Front.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:01 am
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Ass raped how? It cut some stuff but the main story is still there. You can't be that upset about losing the House Elf Liberation Front.

No that's not it. Everything was tied together via one of the best mystery plots I've ever read. It's all revealed in the chapter Veritaserum and they cut all of that. They cut literally all of the clues that told you Moody was fake Moody. It's the only Potter film that values action over storytelling and character development (apart from the Yule Ball/fight with Ron).

Plus most of the scenes while present, are completely different from how they went in the book. Very little of the book dialogue was used, unlike in every other film in the series. Even POA and DH2, the ones everyone loves have a lot of book dialogue.

Order of the Phoenix cut a lot, but most of it was not tied into the central conflict concerning the department of mysteries. Most of what they cut from Goblet made the resolution all the more resonant. I cried when Harry came back from the graveyard in the book, not so in the film.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:25 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This movie was as good as it could have been but still nothing much goes on and suffers from pacing issues. The trio gets a good time to show off their acting skills but because of the split nothing much goes around in this part. The explanation of the Deathly Hallows is definitely the highlight of this movie but most action scenes were disappointing and blink-and-miss wand duels aren't appreciated. It serves well as the filler for the finale.

Sat May 09, 2020 5:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3