Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Flipped 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Flipped 
loyalfromlondon

Post Flipped
Flipped

Quote:
Flipped is a film directed by Rob Reiner. It is an adaptation of the novel Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. It had a limited release in the US on August 6, 2010. The film had a wide release on August 27, 2010.

Callan McAuliffe will play Bryce while Madeline Carroll will play Juli. Aidan Quinn and Penelope Ann Miller will take the roles of Juli's parents, and Kevin Weisman has been given the role of Juli's mentally disabled uncle, while Shane Harper and Michael Bolten will play her two brothers. Anthony Edwards and Rebecca De Mornay will play Bryce's parents, and John Mahoney will take on the role of his grandfather.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Flipped
Flipped is a story seldom told (let alone twice!).

It is a tale from a tender age of pining, or was it that of a sick amore?

The lead actress is mesmerizing - - Madeline Carroll - - remember her name, she's gonna be a big star!

And the supporting cast is a veritable Who's Who of 80's movie stars: Rebecca De Mornay (Risky Business), Anthony Edwards (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, John Mahoney (Say Anything), Penelope Ann Miller (Adventures in Babysitting), Aidan Quinn (Desperately Seeking Susan) - - C'mon!!!

Yep, I kinda flipped for Flipped and it's retro art directed nostalgia trip. Most romance movies tell of the years beyond these - - the grade school neighborhood crush is virgin territory, so to speak. How often to you get to revisit a time of pure innocence before one becomes jaded and scarred from the battles of love?

18 out of 5.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 pm
Pure Phase

Little Manhattan covered the "childhood first love" territory very sweetly. Underrated gem of a movie.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:28 pm
Wallflower

Yeah. This reminds me of that one but doesn't look nearly as great, IMO.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:16 am
Extraordinary

Gunslinger wrote:
Little Manhattan covered the "childhood first love" territory very sweetly. Underrated gem of a movie.
Mike wrote:
Yeah. This reminds me of that one but doesn't look nearly as great, IMO.

Although this is an enthralling speculation about the relative quality of these two films, especially coming from those who haven't seen the one that is the subject of this thread, perhaps those interested in Little Manhattan may do well to pop on over to it's own KJ review thread. (FTR, I haven't seen LM, but I have seen Flipped.)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:45 am
Pure Phase

All right, the Flipped thread can now resume being dead.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:13 pm
Wallflower

Haha. And Bradley, you owe it to yourself to watch LM.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:31 pm
Extraordinary

Gunslinger wrote:
All right, the Flipped thread can now resume being dead.

That's certainly no fault of this fine film.

Mike wrote:
Haha. And Bradley, you owe it to yourself to watch LM.

I did enjoy LM's director Mark Levin's Nim's Island, but missed LM's stealth release in 2005. I don't watch DVD's, but perhaps I will catch it on TCM in the 2020's.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:16 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Flipped, despite having younger protagonists then are usually seen in romance films, works because it doesn't derive on cliches or child jokes to get its message across. The story is fairly mature, even a bit more than your typical family film and it works based off its actors. Callan McAuliffe is alright but it's Madeline Carroll who takes off and shows promise in the future. It also is different from other romance/family films in that it tackles the narration from both characters well and showing perspectives from each side helps the film out of avoiding some holes. It's sweet and charming as well becoming one of 2010's biggest surprises. ***1/2

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]