Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Män som hatar kvinnor [The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Män som hatar kvinnor [The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo] 
loyalfromlondon

Post Män som hatar kvinnor [The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Quote:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish: Män som hatar kvinnor, also known as Men Who Hate Women in English) is a 2009 Swedish film directed by Niels Arden Oplev. It is based on the bestselling novel of the same name by the late Swedish author and journalist Stieg Larsson, the first in his "Millennium Trilogy". By August 2009, it had been sold to 25 countries outside Scandinavia, most of them planning a release in 2010, and had been seen by more than 6 million people in the countries where it was already released.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:40 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Män som hatar kvinnor [The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo]
An intricate, moving, and suspenseful adaptation of the late Stieg Larsson's popular novel.

Recognized in life as an activist and journalist, Larsson has achieved world renown for his crime fiction. Published in 2005, one year after his death at the age of 50, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo became a surprise sensation. Its sequels, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, followed suit and, as of last year, over 21 million copies of Larsson's novels have been sold worldwide.

Larsson's protagonists are Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist), a disgraced investigative journalist, and Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace), a leather-clad, pierced-and-tattooed computer expert with a disturbing past. Blomkvist and Salander are haunted, fractured, and flawed heroes, but also interesting and sympathetic. Nyqvist and Rapace both deliver superb performances. As portrayed by Nyqvist, Blomkvist is, at heart, a dedicated and honest man who is willing to pound the pavement and put in the hours, yet is exhausted by the world he inhabits and the Machiavellian search for truth in it. It is the type of performance Harrison Ford used to deliver with ease. And as Lisbeth Salander, a new iconic character in literature and film, Rapace never lets us forget there is a tempestuous sea of rage and sorrow beneath her cool exterior. It is a controlled, engaging performance with unforgettable moments of volcanic intensity.

The central mystery involves a 40-year-old disappearance (of a beautiful teenage girl) and a cold, enigmatic, and wealthy extended family, one or more of whom may have violent secrets. This plot and its elaborate conclusion are disturbing and surprising, but the film is also concerned with broader, more intellectual themes, including corruption and power. And misogyny.

This is not an easy film. It is a densely plotted two-and-a-half-hour sit. There are multiple hard-to-watch sequences of murder and rape (almost rivaling Gaspar Noé's Irréversible). If you are brave and invest in it, though, you will be rewarded with a fine film and leave excited for the sequel.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:44 am
You must have big rats

Gunslinger wrote:

(almost rivaling Gaspar Noé's Irréversible).

Wut?

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Also, the real translation of the Swedish should be : The Men Who Hated Women.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:31 pm
You must have big rats

The English version isstill better than the German "Verblendung" (dazzlement)

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

(almost rivaling Gaspar Noé's Irréversible).

Wut?

There's a very sadistic rape/beating sequence during the first 45 minutes. It doesn't go on as long as Irréversible's, but it still has a LOT of impact.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:46 am
You must have big rats

I have seen both and I disagree.

The rape scene in this movie is not even as graphic as in the novel. And in the novel it is still not as graphic as in Irreversible. Here you only see the beginning of it and the rest is implied.

In Irreversible you have one scene in which a characters face is bashed in with a fire extinguisher for quite some time and another scene featuring an 9-minutes long anal rape of a woman in a one-take shot, complete with her head being smashed into the pavement.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Key word: "almost."

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:10 am
Pure Phase

Let me slightly shift my point so as to pacify Lecter:

I thought the rape scene in this film was more brutal/cruel and hard to watch (in the way it was shot and edited) than usual, so I was reminded of Irréversible. The rape here, IMO, wasn't Hollywood-ized or made...vanilla, so I thought it had more impact than it might have otherwise.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:14 am
You must have big rats

Weird because after having read the book, the scene seemed quite toned down to me.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Quote:
In other words, movie violence has a way of existing for its own sake. It can’t really be rationally defended or condemned, only experienced and judged according to taste. And the taste for it has migrated into the mainstream. The 1978 exploitation film “I Spit on Your Grave” was widely reviled upon its release, but the violation and vengeance it presents, and the detail with which it depicts a gang rape and a victim’s serial revenge, are not so far from what is shown in “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.” Both belong on a spectrum with Gaspar Noé’s “Irreversible” (2002), which narrated its story of rape and revenge out of order, and collapsed any meaningful distinction between condemning sexual brutality and reveling in it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/movies/18scott.html

:P

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:10 am
You must have big rats

So? Two wrong takes don't make it right.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The New York Times vindicated me, end of story. ;)

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:17 pm
Extraordinary

Brain-popping...

8³ out of 5.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:13 am
ef star star kay

it's [just] okay

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 am
Wallflower

A terrific thriller! It may be 2 and a half hours long, but I was always invested in its story and characters. Lisbeth Salander is a fascinating character and will likely be one of my favorite characters of the year. Noomi Rapace gives a great performance as Salander. I'm wondering who will play this character in the eventual American remake of the trilogy. I'm nervous she won't be able to live up to Rapace's portrayal.

Definitely see this one. Don't wait for the remake.

I'm very excited for "The Girl Who Played With Fire."

8/10 (A-)

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:59 am
loyalfromlondon

It's decent, but its reputation is, frankly, baffling. Apart from Rapace's performance, there's really nothing here to distinguish it from the average Hollywood murder mystery. Are the books really that much better?

And the sequel is worse.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:19 am
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
Are the books really that much better?

Yes

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

trixster wrote:
...there's really nothing here to distinguish it from the average Hollywood murder mystery.

I disagree. Just remembering the sequence where Blomkvist puts the old photographs together on the computer and starts flipping through them, is making my spine tingle right now. The director, Niels Arden Oplev had an incredible touch with his visual interpretation of the story. This is far above the quality of the average slop Hollywood puts out.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:59 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was overlong, but incredibly well-made and acted. There are quite a few sequences here I won't soon forget. I'm excited to see the next installment. B+

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:50 pm
Profile YIM

I agree with trixster in regards to the final third of the film, maybe even the second half. However the beginning and most of the middle are very good, it is only when the mystery heats up and eventually concludes that it becomes conventional and redundant. The construction of characters is very good and the side-stories are interesting. I also agree that Oplev has a visual flair for a lot of the grotesque depictions in the film. He makes them brutal and disturbing, yet provides a subtlety not present in other violent murder/mystery movies.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:23 am
You must have big rats

Rapace is by far and away the best thing about this film.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 am
Profile WWW

Dr. Lecter wrote:

true.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 pm
Extraordinary

Michael A wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

true.

Personally, I think the crackin' good mystery story with it's delightfully eerie direction is the best thing about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo .

Sure Noomi Rapace was splendid in it, but she wasn't such a great actress that she was able to save the crappy sequel. Of course, the useless screenplay of The Girl Who Played With Fire pretty much abandons her character (she was an ace hacker in the first film, right?) and just turns her into a punching bag.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm
Extraordinary

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

I enjoyed this film very much. The double stories was a bit distracting while the girl's part was more interesting due to the demon she had to contend with. After the second incident I was hoping she had something planned and she did even though she had to go through hell to get it. Then, when she and the guy join forces the story of the murdered girl became more interesting and the search for her killer. When they finally engaged the killer I was worried the girl was going to attacked from behind but luckily that didn't happen. The last bit about Harriet being in Australia that whole time was an interesting turn as well. I thought overall that it was a well acted and well made film.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next