Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Wish 

Grade:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Wish 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Wish
Quote:
Wish is a 2023 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It was directed by Chris Buck and Fawn Veerasunthorn (in her feature directorial debut), from a screenplay by Jennifer Lee and Allison Moore, based on a story by Lee, Buck, Veerasunthorn, and Moore, and produced by Peter Del Vecho and Juan Pablo Reyes Lancaster Jones. The art style combines computer animation with the look of Disney's historical watercolor animation. The film stars the voices of Ariana DeBose, Chris Pine, Alan Tudyk, Angelique Cabral, Victor Garber, Natasha Rothwell, Jennifer Kumiyama, Harvey Guillén, Evan Peters, Ramy Youssef, and Jon Rudnitsky. The story focuses on a 17-year-old girl named Asha (DeBose), who makes a passionate plea to the stars in a moment of need after sensing a darkness in the Kingdom of Rosas that no one else does.

Development of Wish began in 2018 but was not publicly disclosed until January 2022, when it was revealed that Lee was writing an original film at Disney Animation. In September 2022, the project was officially announced, with the title being revealed alongside the involvement of DeBose and Tudyk. Buck and Veerasunthorn, who had worked with Lee on Frozen (2013) as co-director and story artist, respectively, were confirmed as directors the same month, with Moore later hired to join Lee in writing the screenplay. The film is inspired by Disney's centennial, which ties together a major theme across most Disney films—of wishes coming true. Additionally, it has been described as the origin story for the wishing star. Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice wrote the songs, and frequent Disney orchestrator Dave Metzger composed the score.

Wish premiered at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, on November 8, 2023, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on November 22, by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:29 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Wish
It had great elements but was overall disappointing and doesn’t get Disney out of their creative rut. Magnifico is the best thing in the movie, Chris Pine does a great voice performance and his musical sequences are highlights of the film. Asha is an alright protagonist and her relationship with Magnifico is interesting. However halfway through the movie it loses focus and becomes too kiddie with too many one note sidekicks. There is tonal inconsistency. The references to other Disney movies were distracting too.

Songs overall were decent but not amazing. I really liked Knowing what we know now and At All Costs. This wish was good, if formulaic. The only bad song is I’m a Star

Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:30 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It has some beautiful animation and Chris Pine and Ariana DeBose give strong vocal performances, but the constant Disney references (and I do mean constant) end up being distracting rather than charming and the songs are bad. C+

Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:26 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Wish feels like it wanted to try something new as demonstrated by the animation style and how some of the songs are very heavy on drums. They must have lost confidence pretty quickly though and the movie ends up playing as a Disney tribute to itself.

Some of the jokes and songs land. The lead is likeable enough. The villain is hateable enough. It's just bland.

5.5/10

Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:56 am
The Kramer

Was there a short for this? I arrived sixteen minutes after showtime expecting at least one more preview + Nicole Kidman but the movie had already started (opening prologue.)

Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:51 am
Hold the door!

I read Once Upon a Studio was supposed to play in front of this, but seems to have been scrapped.

Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:22 am
Extraordinary

Sadly... this was not good. Not terrible but just barebones. Animation looked off the first half but it looked good for the last act. I think with a more interesting story and characters this could've had potential. I wonder if there was another version of the film.

Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I had a fun time with this. Beautifully animated and songs had great energy though second half could have been stronger if they gave a redemption arc for Magnifico (as older Disney movies did). Chris Pine is awesome in this and he steals the show from DeBose in almost all scenes (his character visually as well as vocally). While references were distracting I don't think GA will mind it as much. Music is surprisingly very good, hope it gets a few song nominations.

7/10. B+

Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:57 pm
Extraordinary

In terms of the last decade or so this has got to be the worst film from Disney animation.

I'd rank from 2010 to now...
Zootopia
Tangled
Wreck It Ralph
Moana
Raya and the Last Dragon
Encanto
Big Hero 6
Frozen
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Frozen II
Strange World
Wish

Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:37 pm
Team Kris

I went in with low expectations having seen negative reviews online and Wish completely blew me away. I loved all the Disney easter eggs throughout the movie with references to Snow White, Cinderella, Peter Pan and Tangled to name a few. This was a nostalgic montage of 100 years of Disney magic!

Also the songs were very catchy. Knowing what I know now got applause in my theatre.

All in all it was classic Disney and I loved every second of it!

A

Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]