Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Step Up 3D 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Step Up 3D 
loyalfromlondon

Post Step Up 3D
Step Up 3D

Quote:
Step Up 3D (also known as Step Up 3) is a 2010 American 3D dance film written by Amy Andelson and Emily Meyer and directed by Step Up 2: The Streets's Jon Chu. The sequel sees the return of Adam Sevani and Alyson Stoner, who portrayed Moose from Step Up 2 the Streets and Camille Gage from Step Up, respectively. This movie starred Brodie Lewis and was planned out by Kieran O'Boyle.

As the third installment in the Step Up trilogy, and the first shot in 3D, the film follows Moose and Camille Gage as they head to New York University, the former dancer of whom is majoring in electrical engineering after promising his father that he would not dance anymore. However, he soon stumbles upon a dance battle, meeting Luke Katcher and his House of Pirates dance crew and later teaming up with them to compete in the World Jam dance contest against their rival, the House of Samurai dance crew.

Step Up 3D premiered in Hollywood at the El Capitan Theater on August 2, 2010 and was subsequently released worldwide on August 6, 2010, through conventional 2D and 3D (in RealD 3D, Dolby 3D, and XpanD 3D) formats. It was also the second movie to feature the 7.1 surround sound audio format, the first of which was Toy Story 3. The film grossed $15.8 million in its opening weekend, the lowest of the trilogy, but went on to make more money than any other installment in the series and has received positive reviews, with most praising its dance sequences and effective use of 3D, while others criticizing the repetitive story.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 am
Veteran

Post Re: Step Up 3D
What a bad movie.

This movie is filled with plotholes, clunky dialogue, horrible acting and dance moves that we've all seen before.

Having never seen the first 2 movies in the series before, I didn't really set any expectations when I was dragged to see this. During the movie though, I felt like I was being punished for an earlier misdeed. The acting is terrible. The two leads had no chemistry at all and Moose was stiff.

There's no reason for this movie to be in 3D. It was only put there to confuse your brain that what you're seeing is some spectacle that deserves repeat viewing. Bleh. Waste of money and time. Don't even bother renting this.

3/10

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:11 pm
Extraordinary

So we went and saw STEP UP 3 IN 3D!!!, and here is my important opinion on it: basically, that shit was straight-up magical. I have not seen any of the other recent 3D stuff, because I am not super “into” movies or something. But when your use of 3D involves, like, Twitch and Kendra Andrews leaning out over the front seats and popping and locking up in my face, then yes, I would risk a thousand headaches for that.

The best thing about this movie is the way its creators have realized that a dance movie is much better if it’s actually a superhero movie, only with dancing instead of fighting. So this takes place in the kind of comic-book New York where Moose (from #2) can break off from an NYU tour group and stumble into a critical dance battle in Washington Square Park. (Ridiculous — I walk through that park twice a day, and I wind up involved in like one battle a month, tops.) Also Red Hook is basically like Mad Max with crumping. But so anyway Moose meets a handsome young guy who’s basically a dancing G.I. Joe with less personality, and he’s whisked off to the secret lair where a crew of dance X-men train, and like … there’s a scene early on where he’s in a hallway being snuck up on by wall-climbing ninjas, and you momentarily fear for his safety, until you remember that all the villains really want to do is dance at him.

Then eventually they have to dance-battle the villains in order to raise the money to save their community center secret lair, so there’s plenty of traditional dance-movie stuff: terrible acting, deep thoughts about following your dreams, etc. (It’s also the only dance movie I can think of that fails the Bechdel Test — poor Camille in this plot — plus has that usual thing of being all about white people surrounded by lots of non-white people who dance better than them. Plus a Ugandan character who occasionally offers wisdom and perspective in a deep and reassuring voice, which he somehow manages to pull off even when he’s wearing, say, a neon tracksuit.)

But still. I think my favorite thing about dance movies (non-ballet variety) is that things like training montages wind up being the best parts of the film. So then here the training montages are equally great, plus then the big dance setpieces are all themed (dust! water! lights!) and 3D choreographed for maximum awesomeness.

This film has a Metacritic rating of 45. This film has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 48%. Apparently the acting and plot aren’t as “believable” as, like, Inception, which is based on a true story. Here is my response to that: IT IS A FREAKING 3D DANCE MOVIE. What is your damned problem.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm
ef star star kay

uh?

whatever, I'm sure I'm gonna love it, since everyone said it's better than the second film which was amazing..

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:01 pm
Extraordinary

Visceral ! !..!...!....!.....!......!.......!........!.........!..........!...........!...........!.............!

Step up, step up! With every viewing of the Step Up 3D movie, get one free ticket for the Step Up 3D ride!!! All aboard!!!!!

Wow! This movie was an unexpected treat! Having not seen the first two Step Up movies, I came to this franchise cold. But danged if if didn't sweep me off my feet and twirl me 'round the dance floor! It is so deliciously exuberant - - this movie is like a puppy eager to please - - don't expect to come out of a screening of Step Up 3D without being drenched in slobber (and I mean that in the best possible way).

Yep! This is the real deal, a legitimate heir to the history of great dance films. It's got that "Let's put on a show!" heart throbbing at it's core. The cinematography tricks were practically note perfect, amping up the mega-talented energy of the dancers - - I'm a fanboy of musicals, and this almost puts me in mind of the almighty Moulin Rouge! with it's unrelenting bawdy charm and poise.

Even the 3D, which I am constantly railing against, was used to it's ever lovin' max here. Every opportunity to emphasize the depth of field was snatched, every chance to rake the composition of the frame with three or more detailed interesting character planes in addition to the main action was seized. If you want to see 3D used to it's limits - - watch Step Up 3D - - it's a master class in this schmaltzy technique. Fortunately, schmaltz feeds dance movies like hydrogen feeds the stars, all is in harmony between science and art as they burn bright here for our most thorough pleasure.

Simply put, this film will be enjoyed down through the ages of humankind into our eternal future... but here's the bottom line:

I can't wait to see Step Up 3D again!

783 out of 5.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:54 am
ef star star kay

Step Up 2 remains the best. But this is still good stuff. Though I wonder would it be as much of fun without 3D??

B

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:32 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Step Up 3 doesn't have a strong script, if anything it is really bad. The dance numbers and music do keep it watchable however but it is no home run. About the same as the second film. *1/2

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

With more dance and a slightly decent (even though cliched and generic) love story its more digestible. it would have worked well if they would have completely focused on dancing aspect and made the competition a bit more believable.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]