Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Freddy vs. Jason 

What grade would you give this film?
A 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
B 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Freddy vs. Jason 
College Boy Z

Post Freddy vs. Jason
Freddy vs. Jason

Quote:
Freddy vs. Jason is a 2003 American slasher film directed by Ronny Yu. The film is a crossover between the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th franchises. It is the eighth and eleventh entries in their respective series, pitting their antagonists, Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees, against each other.

In the film's storyline, Freddy (Robert Englund) has grown weak, as the citizens of Springwood have suppressed their fear of him. In order to regain his power, Freddy resurrects Jason (Ken Kirzinger) and manipulates him into traveling to Springwood to cause panic and fear. However, while Jason succeeds in causing enough fear for Freddy to haunt the town again, he continues to intrude on Freddy's territory and steal his potential victims. This ultimately sends the two monsters into a violent conflict.

This film marked Robert Englund's final appearance to date as Freddy Krueger, having portrayed him in all seven previous Nightmare films, as well as the first movie since Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood not to feature Kane Hodder as Jason Voorhees.

Chronologically, the film is set after the events of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare and Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, but before Jason X, which was released first because Freddy vs. Jason was stuck in development hell at the time.

A horror fan's dream come true. As a huge fan of Freddy and Jason, this was a film I anticipated for a long, loooong time. It lived up to all expectations I had. One of the most fun films everrrr.

A

Last edited by zingy on Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:54 pm
Teh Mexican

God awful Stupid movie, but it was definitely awesome to see Freddy and Jason in the same Movie, lots of blood and sense of humor!.....guilty pleasure of mine!

B

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:59 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

A far cry from the original's in either series. Funny, and actually tolerable. Nowhere near as bad as I expected, it was actually a fun "popcorn" film. 6.5/10 (B)

Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:05 am
La Bella Vito

This was such an entertaining movie, that I managed to overlook the ridiculous plots. Both villians are in top form here, and theres plenty of gore to satisfy hardcore horror fans of both franchises. I liked the way it ended, and the fighting scenes were excellent, much better than Alien Vs. Predator.

B

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Original

The Fight between Freddy and Jason is SWEEEET.

6,5/10

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:13 am
Mod Team Leader

The one we have all been waiting for!!!, 19 November 2003

After years of development purgatory, finally, we get to see these two 80's horror bohemoths battle it out. And battle it out they do. There is more blood in here that the opening 20 minutes in Saving Private Ryan. And that is exactly what we all wanted. Freddy vs. Jason was the best film of the summer and based on it's opening of 36 million dollars and a final tally of more than 80 mill, it is safe to say that it delivered the goods.

For anyone who doesn't know by now, the basic premise of the film is that Freddy Krueger can no longer invade the minds of Elm Street kids. They have been taking a new anti dream pill and this prevents them from dreaming about anything, including Freddy. Without their dreams, Freddy is powerless to live. So he has to scour the depths of Hell to find something that will shake them up, something that will get them having nightmares again. And of course that "something" is Jason Voorhees.

Now there is no explanation as to how Jason comes back to life, only that Freddy brought him back. And he immediately starts to kill. If you are looking for a plot in this film, you have come to the wrong place because they don't even pretend that there is one. What we get instead, is blood, boobs, hysterically absurd characters and lots of fun. In fact, I cannot remember having this much fun in the theater since I don't know when. Characters are introduced so the can die in this film. We see plenty of sex scenes and the ensuing death scenes are violent, bloody and final. This reminds me of an 80's slasher film. Ronny Yu has given us all a subliminal wink wink as he delivers all the goods. You have your standard stupid teens that party, get high and have sex before they die. And this is just the first 45 minutes of the film. The last 30-45 minutes of the film is all Jason and Freddy battling it out, icon vs. icon. And when they meet for the second time, all frikking hell breaks loose and it is one of the most adrenaline induced scenes in any film of recent memory. Freddy vs. Jason is truly a masterful film. This is everything you could want in a movie like this.

One final note and that is the debate about the ending. You would think that because Freddy helped build New Line into the powerhouse that it is today, Freddy would get preferential treatment over Jason. Wrong you are. The very end of this film is perfect. It ends on the note that it should and it just goes to show us once again how much Ronny Yu and New Line wanted to give the fans what we wanted.

I can't wait for the two disk DVD!!

10 out of 10!!

Sat May 07, 2005 9:20 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

The one we have all been waiting for!!!, 19 November 2003

After years of development purgatory, finally, we get to see these two 80's horror bohemoths battle it out. And battle it out they do. There is more blood in here that the opening 20 minutes in Saving Private Ryan. And that is exactly what we all wanted. Freddy vs. Jason was the best film of the summer and based on it's opening of 36 million dollars and a final tally of more than 80 mill, it is safe to say that it delivered the goods.

For anyone who doesn't know by now, the basic premise of the film is that Freddy Krueger can no longer invade the minds of Elm Street kids. They have been taking a new anti dream pill and this prevents them from dreaming about anything, including Freddy. Without their dreams, Freddy is powerless to live. So he has to scour the depths of Hell to find something that will shake them up, something that will get them having nightmares again. And of course that "something" is Jason Voorhees.

Now there is no explanation as to how Jason comes back to life, only that Freddy brought him back. And he immediately starts to kill. If you are looking for a plot in this film, you have come to the wrong place because they don't even pretend that there is one. What we get instead, is blood, boobs, hysterically absurd characters and lots of fun. In fact, I cannot remember having this much fun in the theater since I don't know when. Characters are introduced so the can die in this film. We see plenty of sex scenes and the ensuing death scenes are violent, bloody and final. This reminds me of an 80's slasher film. Ronny Yu has given us all a subliminal wink wink as he delivers all the goods. You have your standard stupid teens that party, get high and have sex before they die. And this is just the first 45 minutes of the film. The last 30-45 minutes of the film is all Jason and Freddy battling it out, icon vs. icon. And when they meet for the second time, all frikking hell breaks loose and it is one of the most adrenaline induced scenes in any film of recent memory. Freddy vs. Jason is truly a masterful film. This is everything you could want in a movie like this.

One final note and that is the debate about the ending. You would think that because Freddy helped build New Line into the powerhouse that it is today, Freddy would get preferential treatment over Jason. Wrong you are. The very end of this film is perfect. It ends on the note that it should and it just goes to show us once again how much Ronny Yu and New Line wanted to give the fans what we wanted.

I can't wait for the two disk DVD!!

10 out of 10!!

I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 07, 2005 12:05 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was really entertaining. I had a lot of fun watching it. It had some inventive death sequences, a few good scares and lots of funny one-liners. Recommended.

7/10 ( B )

Sat May 07, 2005 11:17 pm
Profile YIM
Teenage Dream

Sun May 08, 2005 1:19 pm
Forum General

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 08, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

Freddy and Jason beating the hell out of each other and other people is just awesome, lots of action and gore and so forth. Done perfectly as well.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:44 pm
I'm Batman

Its fun to see Freddy and Jason kick the shit out of each other, and Monica Keena's cleavage, but the movie is ridiculous and the acting is laughable.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:49 pm
Extraordinary

Everything i ever wanted out of a FVJ film,the fight amazingly surpassed my expectations.This made my top 10 in 2003.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This film is a horror movies fan's dream come true. This is the one I have been aching for for many years, probably longer than for any movie ever and despite such great expectations it delivered on almost every level. It's too bad they are taking so long with the sequel. Freddy vs. Jason must be one of the most rewatchable films ever. I have seen it earlier tonight for the seventh time and it is still just as entertaining as ever.

The film's plot is set up pretty well. There are several plot holes, but in a film like this, it's not what I am looking for. Robert Englund plays his legendary Freddy perfectly. He hasn't been as good at this sinc the first Nightmare on the Elm Street film. His Freddy is not as menacing is he used to be, certainly. But he is just a blast of a character. The rest of the cast was mostly sub-par, but who cares?

If anything disappointed me about this film, then it was that Jason got way more kills and general action than Freddy. I have always, by far, prefred the Nightmare on the Elm Street films over the Friday the 13th movies, so I would have liked to see more crazy Freddy dreamworld action. However, it is Jason who gets to call almost all of the main characters. Freddy basically gets only one main kill, with Will's friend. The imagery is great.

Now the scenes between Freddy and Jason certainly go way over the top, but that is exactly how I liked them. The final battle is incredible. The movie never takes itself too seriously and that saves it. It is funny, sometimes outloud hilarious. Never suspenseful or scary, but every single minute a ton of fun to watch. Bring on the sequel!

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Wow...I really, really hated this. The formula seemed simple, but...

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:32 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I agree for what it was, it delivered ten fold, the fight at the end was awesome and didn't chicken out like AVP. I found it better than most of the Friday sequels and a couple of the nightmare films. Very fun film to watch if your a horror fan.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:10 am
Full Fledged Member

I so wanted to love this film but I couldn't. I love the F13th and ANoES series but this was ridiculous.

The Bad

The Acting: This is the worst acting I've seen by a group of people in a F13 or ANoES yet. Jason Ritter was the leader of the evil actor gang and just made me want to reach into the movie screen and slap some talent into him. The others were just plain mediocre.

The Plot: It was so thin and nonsensicle it made F13 look like Shakespear.

The Good

Gore: Lot's and lot's of gore. It was done to the extremes and I always appreciate that.

Hey Freddy and Jason are actually in a movie together: The value of seeing them on the same screen is wonderful.

Action Sequences: The corn field massacre was cool and the end fight was awesome. Too bad a series of action sequences a movie does not make.

What a waste. Could have been better and less Campy but at least it did well to get other projects involving these characters going.

C

Susan, I saw you in the classroom today. As the sun came from behind the clouds, a burst of brilliant light caught your hair, it was haloed in front of me. You turned, your eyes flashed fire into my soul, I immediately read the words of Dostoyevsky and Karl Marx, and in the words of Albert Schweitzer, 'I fancy you.

God ATTACK the Queen!

Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:29 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Being a huge horror fan and all I expected this to live up to expectations. I got more laughs than actual scares. It's fun but it should of been something else.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:36 am
Extraordinary

Better than just about every Friday the 13th film (save Pt. 2 and Jason Lives), but a fairly mediocre Nightmare installment.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:40 am
You must have big rats

B

Better than just about every Friday the 13th film (save Pt. 2 and Jason Lives), but a fairly mediocre Nightmare installment.

I'd say it is better than any Friday the 13th movie, period, but it is also better than any Nightmare film except for the 1st and the 3rd.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

New Nightmare's better than FvJ, and I'd put it on the same level of Nightmare 4. So for me, it ranks somewhere like 4/5, mid-range in the series.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:57 pm
You must have big rats

New Nightmare's better than FvJ, and I'd put it on the same level of Nightmare 4. So for me, it ranks somewhere like 4/5, mid-range in the series.

I dislike New Nightmare. A lot.

Nightmare 4 is rather mediocre, 5 is okay. Despite being a big Freddy fan, the only entires in the series that I love are the first and the third (and FvsJ, obviously).

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I love New Nightmare. It's my favorite of the series. Still, that's neither here nor there. FvJ and Nightmare 4 are equal to me because of tone -- they're a lot alike in that regard. N4 has the much better acting, but FvJ is a bit more exciting and intriguing. Hence, equal for me. As for Nightmare 5, I really like it... every time Freddy's off-screen. The film's this really interesting dark horror movie, and then clown Krueger shows up and basically ruins the whole thing.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:08 pm
You must have big rats

Mhm, in the original series it bothered me that Freddy slowly departed from a menace to a joke. Youi know, it worked for me in FvsJ because this movie was never supposed to be taken very seriously...I mean the entire idea of Freddy and Jason is pure camp, hehe. But in the original series, it was not really good. The first Nightmare is one of the best and scariest horror films ever, certainly my all-time Top 10, by far beating out any Halloween or F13 movie. But it goes downhill from that. I love the third Nightmare because of an interesting set of characters with Nancy being back, some nice dream images, a great conclusion and the fact that it was just so much FUN. I know that among horror fans A New Nightmare is well-liked, but I perceive it as boring and never scary or even creepy, even though the original concept is good.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

To me, the line Freddy should never cross with his humor is simple: Would he rather kill you or make a joke? For the first four films (yes, even Nightmare 4, because he was still dangerous), if it came down to it, Freddy would rather gut you. But started with Nightmare 5, that changed. Take the comic book death as an example. Freddy chases the kid on the skateboard (!). The kid's backed against the wall, nothing to do now as Freddy approaches... and then Freddy disappears to continue the joke/set-piece.

And of course, Freddy's Dead is just absurd in regards to funny Freddy.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next