Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Gods and Monsters 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Gods and Monsters 
College Boy Z

Post Gods and Monsters
Gods and Monsters

Quote:
Gods and Monsters is a 1998 drama film that recounts the (somewhat fictionalized) last days of the life of troubled film director James Whale, whose homosexuality is a central theme. It stars Ian McKellen as Whale, along with Brendan Fraser, Lynn Redgrave, Lolita Davidovich, and David Dukes. The movie was directed and written by Bill Condon from Christopher Bram's novel Father of Frankenstein. It was executive produced by British horror novelist Clive Barker.

The film won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, and was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Ian McKellen) and Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Lynn Redgrave).

The film features reconstructions of the filming of Bride of Frankenstein, a movie Whale directed. The title comes from a line in Bride of Frankenstein, in which the character Dr. Pretorius toasts Dr. Frankenstein, "To a new world of gods and monsters."

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:52 pm
La Bella Vito

Such a great film. I really liked the black and white sequences, they were done brilliantly. Ian McKellen was so amazing, and Brendan Fraser was also really good. Lynn Redgrave was also very good, and she deserved the Golden Globe that year. It's somewhat of a disturbing film, but if you understand it, its much more earier to watch.

A

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Interesting movie with a truly great performance from Ian McKellan. He would have won the Oscar if he wasn't a gay man playing a gay man. Now If he'd been a straight man playing a gay man, he would be a shoo-in. Brendan Fraser gives his best performance yet, but I thought Lynn Redgrave was horrible. Her performance was an over the top caricature. This isn't a movie for everyone, but movie buffs should check it out.

My grade: B

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Gods And Monsters
I can't find my original review, but this was a great movie - - I gotta see this one again!

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:51 am
Speed Racer

Post Re: Gods And Monsters
Really good movie with a fantastic performance by Ian McKellen. He was also incredible in APT PUPIL that year.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]