Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Salt 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Salt 
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Salt
I think I missed the (makeshift) boat on this one.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 am
Teenage Dream

trixster wrote:

If I threaten to delete you from Facebook, will you pretend to like it for me?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:06 am
Us v Them

Say that you like it, trixster! He already deleted me from facebook!

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 am
Teenage Dream

Groaning wrote:
Say that you like it, trixster! He already deleted me from facebook!

Did that happen? I don't believe it.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 am
loyalfromlondon

makeshift wrote:
trixster wrote:

If I threaten to delete you from Facebook, will you pretend to like it for me?

Angelina star vehicles is where you draw the line?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 am
Devil's Advocate

This is ... ridiculous. But kind of good. I think they took it just a bit too far in the last act. It was straddling the line until after the dock sequence. Pushing it farther into the nuclear war setup and the Liev twist bordered on parody. The "We set up the Russians to nuke us, so we have to nuke them" bit reminded me of Dr. Strangelove

Also the logic holes are just... enormous. Especially loved when after Angelina crashed the police cruiser off the bridge, instead of showing how she'd further escape the hundreds of police around her as a result of killing the Russian president, they just cut to her safely on a boat.

With that said. The action scenes are decent. One thing I can say is the movie looks good. It's very... clean. Good DP working this one.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:14 am
Forum General

Um....this movie was kind of shoddy and illogical.

Other films are preposterous, I even just saw Speed Racer yesterday, but they embrace it and deliver a fun experience and allow for the suspension of disbelief, this took itself seriously but made less sense than ever.

Government officials firing guns all across the city? On a highway at a tanker? Not making a move to pull the Russian president out of the church? I also don't think the Jolie's past development was done well at all not to mention all the Russians being so eager to just kill themselves.

A B because I still liked Jolie's performance and it was decently entertaining though nothing special and I wouldn't see it again.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

t and m are facebook friends?!

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Us v Them

Johnny Dollar wrote:
t and m are facebook friends?!

yes. both are also friends with g! (now again).

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:50 am
The Lubitsch Touch

As for Salt, I liked it, although it was a bit goofier than it needed to be.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:09 am
On autopilot for the summer

A little Disappointed, after the reviews on here. I thought it was very predictable, those twists were coming a mile away, all 6 of them, but it was exciting for the most part, despite some bad CGI effects. Jolie did kick it and Schrieber is about as good as he always is. In the end, I just didn't care what happened. It's pure formula disguised as something slick.

B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:25 am
The Wall

6/10 -> C

Absurd in every way but it kinda works. Mainly due to Jolie who makes this role somewhat believable despite the absurdity. I actually thought that the whole "Salt is a Russian plant" plot will turn out to be false and a gunsmoke for CIA's eyes, while real plants make their assault and I think I'd prefer if that happened. The whole "Hello former comrades" charade was a bit too much, but at least we did get a kick ass kill in the end. I'm looking forward to the sequel. And I'm hoping it's going to be a bit more tighter plot wise.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Well shot, well acted, decent action scenes, but not in the least bit interesting. If Sony hadn't pulled off the greatest marketing campaign ever a month or so before the release (the film could've benefited if Evelyn was a little more sexual, like the one that posed topless with a dildo in her hand), I don't think there would be a reason to even remember this.

At least I had the theater all to myself.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:04 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Thegun wrote:
A little Disappointed, after the reviews on here. I thought it was very predictable, those twists were coming a mile away, all 6 of them, but it was exciting for the most part, despite some bad CGI effects. Jolie did kick it and Schrieber is about as good as he always is. In the end, I just didn't care what happened. It's pure formula disguised as something slick.

B-

how many action movies, do you care about the ending, especially ones that are setting themselves up as a possible sequal.

For me, good enough. Angie Jolie did the job, and similar to what we have seen from Tom Cruise.

And it had about 5 pretty good action sequences, that satisfied the audience, the two times I saw it.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Grill wrote:
Thegun wrote:

B-

how many action movies, do you care about the ending, especially ones that are setting themselves up as a possible sequal.
quote]

All of the good ones.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:44 pm
Forum General

Michael A wrote:
Grill wrote:
Thegun wrote:

B-

quote]

All of the good ones.

Still a jackass I see. And stupid to boot. As anyone who says all is an ass.

Anyway, I just said that as he said he didn't like the ending. I was fine with it as it seems most voters in the poll who gave it a B or above. And the critics and the box office.

So whatever loser.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:04 pm

yes because popular opinion is so often correct.
I am not quite sure how asserting that all good action movies, are all good movies for that matter, should leaving you caring, at least to some degree about the ending, makes me a jackass. Please elaborate Grill.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:22 am
Forum General

I am fine with popular opinion, when it agrees with me.

And a movie that sets itself as to a future sequel can't nice tie or end the story as nicely as one that doesn't want a sequel.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:08 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Grill wrote:
And a movie that sets itself as to a future sequel can't nice tie or end the story as nicely as one that doesn't want a sequel.

That is not necessarily true, see: The Adventure of the Final Problem.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Argos wrote:
Grill wrote:

That is not necessarily true, see: The Adventure of the Final Problem.

Finally had some time so I read it.

Worthless crap, like I expected it would be.

And before you ask some stupid question back... Explain to me in detail what you meant with that BS Link.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:05 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Why are you trying to insult me? I merely rebutted your feeble assertion. You can read it again:

Wikipedia wrote:
"The Final Problem" was intended to be exactly what its name says. Conan Doyle meant to stop writing about his famous detective after this short story [...].

But as is equally well known this device failed in its purpose and pressure from fans eventually persuaded Doyle to bring Holmes back, returning in "The Adventure of the Empty House".

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 pm
Profile WWW

Grill wrote:

Only an obviously poor movie would alter any aspect of the film to "set up" for a sequel. That is a commercial tactic not an artistic move, thus not a good move.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:09 pm
Forum General

Michael A wrote:
Grill wrote:

Only an obviously poor movie would alter any aspect of the film to "set up" for a sequel. That is a commercial tactic not an artistic move, thus not a good move.

Again, as I said above, a movie that is setting up a possible sequel doesn't tie up the ending nicely!!!

Like in Salt, she escapes to kill more enemies. So as I said, the movie doesn't have a nice tie at the end.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:23 pm
100% That Bitch

B

A great popcorn flick.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:22 pm
Extraordinary

Insanely predictable, and mildly uninteresting for a chunk of its screentime (I considered walking out somewhere around the funeral assassination bit), but it's nicely shot, is really ambitious in terms of action (even if the FX can't do all of the ideas justice), and I've had a total man-crush on Liev Schreiber for a decade.

Makeshift's right about one thing -- Angelina Jolie totally oozes movie star in this.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next