Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Inception 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 45 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 9 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 64

Inception 
College Boy Z

Post Re: Inception
Gunslinger wrote:
Spoiler: show
Everyone was staring at him in the airport? I know he had an Ocean's-Eleven-esque series of knowing glances with his team, but I don't remember -every- traveler stopping and staring intently at Cobb.

I don't remember exactly. This is a point that I read and I vaguely remember him being stared at. But not quite sure.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:06 pm
I heet the canadian!

The only people who look at Dom are the members of his team, Fischer, and finally Miles (Michael Caine's character). None of the other people do for even the slightest second.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:09 pm
Forum General

zingy wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Everyone was staring at him in the airport? I know he had an Ocean's-Eleven-esque series of knowing glances with his team, but I don't remember -every- traveler stopping and staring intently at Cobb.

I don't remember exactly. This is a point that I read and I vaguely remember him being stared at. But not quite sure.

also then why did he break his rule, as to don't use full parts of your past.

Real World, Not Dream World.

Also think if it was the Dream World, they would have done a Sixth Sense thing on us...not enough proof to say it, so Real World.

and again, why did he see the children's faces, when he never saw them before.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:09 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

To clear something up, I noticed on second viewing that Arthur says to Ariadne that Cobb will never make it out of limbo and she responds with something to the tune of "I think he'll be alright" with a knowing glance.

Additionally, I also thought the people at the airport were staring at Cobb, but on second viewing I realized that was probably just me being suspicious that it was a dream on my first viewing, as I really didn't notice any stares the second time.

That being said, I think he's definitely in a dream, it's just a matter of how he got there. I think Ariadne has a role, but it may be impossible to pinpoint it.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:14 pm
Killing With Kindness

zingy wrote:
An interesting point (which I don't think anyone mentioned here, but I might have missed it) is that when Leo gets off the plane and meets up with Michael Caine, everyone in the airport is staring at him, pointing to the theory that he's still in the dream. Does anyone remember that?

That is not true at all, I made sure to watch for this on my 2nd viewing, the only people looking at him are the dude that checks his passport and the crew, all the other people are looking past him for friends they are waiting for.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Gunslinger wrote:

only his team was watching him, and they certainly weren't staring.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Makes sense then. I thought I remember people around looking at him as he was approaching Michael Caine (after his interactions with his team), but I wasn't sure and wherever I read that comment, that person seemed sure.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:28 pm
Forum General

stop the spolier tags! IMO, as anyone who is on the 4th page of this and hasn't seen the movie, deserves what they get.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:29 pm
Killing With Kindness

paper wrote:
To clear something up, I noticed on second viewing that Arthur says to Ariadne that Cobb will never make it out of limbo and she responds with something to the tune of "I think he'll be alright" with a knowing glance.

Additionally, I also thought the people at the airport were staring at Cobb, but on second viewing I realized that was probably just me being suspicious that it was a dream on my first viewing, as I really didn't notice any stares the second time.

That being said, I think he's definitely in a dream, it's just a matter of how he got there. I think Ariadne has a role, but it may be impossible to pinpoint it.

I think if Cobb wanted to be in the dream world he would have stayed with Mal

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Grill wrote:
stop the spolier tags! IMO, as anyone who is on the 4th page of this and hasn't seen the movie, deserves what they get.

for me the spoiler tags stay, deal with it.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Also, it will be a crime if this does not win an Oscar for editing. Like, the entire last hour was basically three or four different timelines being weaved together rapidly. And the fact that it all made complete sense is astonishing.

Yeah, I love the way they kept cutting back to the falling van. From technical point of view, that has to be one entire shot but getting broken up into different frames, right? It gave the perfect sense of how time travels differently from one level of dream to another.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

But Mal could have planted the idea in his head that a dream can be your reality. Maybe the whole Inception plan was to plant the idea in Cobb's head.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:33 pm
Killing With Kindness

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
But Mal could have planted the idea in his head that a dream can be your reality. Maybe the whole Inception plan was to plant the idea in Cobb's head.

where is the evidence to back that

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

There is no evidence to back anything! lol

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:36 pm
Forum General

BJ wrote:
paper wrote:

yeah really as he could have had Mel and the kids in that world but he left it for the real one....

anyway, is there going to be a DVD with extra scenes on it...that could change everything but right now, I still say it is the real world.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:37 pm
Killing With Kindness

Grill wrote:
BJ wrote:
paper wrote:

yeah really as he could have had Mel and the kids in that world but he left it for the real one....

anyway, is there going to be a DVD with extra scenes on it...that could change everything but right now, I still say it is the real world.

Indeed, he tells her he cant imagine her perfectly so why would he settle for imperfect version of his kids in the end????

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
There is no evidence to back anything! lol

the top wobble is a biggie.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

by uponapyre 18 hours ago (Fri Jul 16 2010 17:16:38)
Ignore this User | Report Abuse Reply
Cobb's guilt.

At first his guilt keeps him locked in a kind of perpetual limbo. Not the limbo of dream state, but a limbo of non-acceptance. He forces himself to dream of his wife and constructs memories to lock her there. He cannot let her go because he cannot accept what he did to her.

When he finally makes the acceptance, he burst free of this limbo for good. Mal dies within the dream and the guilt no longer has the hold on him that it once did.

The /only/ reason he had the strength to do this was the hope that he'd see his children again. In reality. He had so many opportunities to return to the dream state and be with, not only his children, but his wife too. Yet, throughout the entire film, he fought these moments with such intensity.

This intensity was what ultimately saved him from falling into the limbo forever.

The resolution of his arc was the defeat of his guilt, the death of it with the figurative death of his wife's shade.

We're also told that, while in a limbo state, it starts as a heaven with the dreamers as gods, but then, after a while, the dreamer become too aware of the unreality of it.

This is what drove him to commit the inception on his wife in the first place. He paid the ULTIMATE price for their dalliance and naivety.

After everything he lost, after all the effort he'd made to fight the dream, to escape from the limbo, there's no way he'd accept falling back into another.

His totem spinning at the end wobbles for us to allow this story to conclude perfectly and so Cobb's arc isn't cheapened by ambiguity. Nolan is simply having fun with us with the cut out, a knowing wink, but he'd already given us all we need to draw the only conclusion we could.

Cobb is awake, finally.

this guys thoughts are in line with my view of Cobbs thought process throughout the film and at the end.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The ending is so much more poignant and resonant if Cobb fought to find Saito and truly return to reality (and his children).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:51 pm
Pure Phase

BJ wrote:
by uponapyre 18 hours ago (Fri Jul 16 2010 17:16:38)
Cobb's guilt.

At first his guilt keeps him locked in a kind of perpetual limbo. Not the limbo of dream state, but a limbo of non-acceptance. He forces himself to dream of his wife and constructs memories to lock her there. He cannot let her go because he cannot accept what he did to her.

When he finally makes the acceptance, he burst free of this limbo for good. Mal dies within the dream and the guilt no longer has the hold on him that it once did.

The /only/ reason he had the strength to do this was the hope that he'd see his children again. In reality. He had so many opportunities to return to the dream state and be with, not only his children, but his wife too. Yet, throughout the entire film, he fought these moments with such intensity.

This intensity was what ultimately saved him from falling into the limbo forever.

The resolution of his arc was the defeat of his guilt, the death of it with the figurative death of his wife's shade.

We're also told that, while in a limbo state, it starts as a heaven with the dreamers as gods, but then, after a while, the dreamer become too aware of the unreality of it.

This is what drove him to commit the inception on his wife in the first place. He paid the ULTIMATE price for their dalliance and naivety.

After everything he lost, after all the effort he'd made to fight the dream, to escape from the limbo, there's no way he'd accept falling back into another.

His totem spinning at the end wobbles for us to allow this story to conclude perfectly and so Cobb's arc isn't cheapened by ambiguity. Nolan is simply having fun with us with the cut out, a knowing wink, but he'd already given us all we need to draw the only conclusion we could.

Cobb is awake, finally.

this guys thoughts are in line with my view of Cobbs thought process throughout the film and at the end.

Agreed

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:51 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Tops can wobble and still spin.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Killing With Kindness

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:

every time he spins the top in the dream world it revolves perfectly on its axis, every time. I noticed this in both viewings and will most likely again upon my third viewing. The top clearly wobbles at th end and you can here it slowing down.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
I heet the canadian!

Chipo DiCaprio wrote:
The top also slowed down, which contradicts it's purpose in a dream.

And I agree with Gunslinger and the post BJ showed.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:59 pm
Killing With Kindness

by coolguy5090 18 hours ago (Fri Jul 16 2010 17:49:25)
russthewomble,

Those are good points, but the film makes it clear that his projections of Mal, and thus of his kids, are just "shades" and can never truly reflect who they are as real people. When Dom says goodbye to Mal and acknowledges her as simply a shade, he is just as much rejecting the authenticity of his projections as he is saying goodbye to her specifically. For him to move on to projections of his kids, who he acknowledges are only facsimiles or shades of real people a few scenes earlier, still goes against his ultimate character arc.

Agreed 100%

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I do believe he isn't dreaming. But I enjoy the thought process of thinking about him still dreaming.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next