Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 The Twilight Saga: Eclipse 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 18

loyalfromlondon

Post The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Quote:
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse is a 2010 romantic-vampire film based on Stephenie Meyer's 2007 Eclipse. It is the third installment of The Twilight Saga film series, following 2008's Twilight and 2009's New Moon. Summit Entertainment greenlit the film in February 2009. Directed by David Slade, the film stars Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner, reprising their roles as Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, and Jacob Black, respectively. Melissa Rosenberg, who penned the scripts for both Twilight and New Moon, returns as screenwriter.

Filming began on August 17, 2009, at Vancouver Film Studios, and finished in late October, with post-production began early the following month. Because of scheduling conflicts, Bryce Dallas Howard was cast as Victoria, replacing Rachelle Lefevre who previously played her.

The film was released on June 30, 2010 and became the first Twilight film to be released in IMAX.

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse has become the film with the widest independent release, playing in over 4,416 theaters, surpassing its predecessor, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which held the record since November.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 am
Forum General

Post Re: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
First off, very disappointed I didn't get the new Harry Potter trailer. WTF?

Trailers I got were pretty much crap.

Buried - A lot of WTF? type reactions.
Charlie St. Cloud - obviously some positive reaction considering the target audience. No interest here though.
Eat Pray Love - Not much reaction. Looks okay.
Red - looks okay, but everyone's so old! Not much reaction to this.

The movie is a reasonably good adaptation of the book. There is A LOT of dialogue. The action scenes are well done. There are a few moments of humor added that were not in the book. The edits from the book didn't hurt it too much. All in all, it's probably the best movie of the 3 (I know that's not saying much for some of you).

Solid B.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I thought it was fantastic! Twilight was alright and New Moon very forgettable. But Eclipse really raised the stakes for the franchise. You can tell they are getting serious about these movies. Romance was believable; cheese kept to a minimum; action awesome. An R rating would just have been perfect but it's awesome just as is. With Bill Condon at the helms, Breaking Dawn can be truly a masterpiece! A-

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 pm
Extraordinary

ECLIPSE

I didn't read the book even though I have it. I guess I can read it now to see what's different. I watched it this afternoon and I enjoyed it. I felt it was on par or better than Twilight. It was definitely better than New Moon. I thought the action was very well done. I liked the chase sequence between Victoria and the Cullens and wolves early in the picture. I really enjoyed the flashbacks of Jasper and Esme. I thought the conversation Esme and Bella had was engaging. I liked learning more about the history of Jacob's tribe and newborn vampires. In this one, I think Jacob is a bit of a stalker or obsessive teenager. I can't imagine how tedious that's going to be reading that. Probably as annoying reading about Bella fawning over Edward every other page in Twilight. The relationship between Edward and Bella continues to expand and I guess they'll be getting married in the next flick. I'll have to read that book next month for sure. Overally, I was very satisfied with the picture and the final battle was good too. Victoria finally biting the dust was wonderful as well.

grade - A

**My showing did have the HP trailer and I can already see clips of the 2nd part of the Deathly Hallows...damn trailer creators ruining things.

***Who else thinks that Taylor's face has a young Steven Seagal look to it? Just me?

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
It's slightly better than the last one. 2/10.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

To declare Eclipse the best Twilight film to date is an understatement. It is the Twilight franchise's The Empire Strikes Back. The Twilight franchise's The Wrath of Khan. The Twilight franchise's The Dark Knight. The film where what was good before becomes great. Director David Slade (Hard Candy, 30 Days of Night) and returning screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg are both in top, inspired form. His direction is superb. The action and suspense sequences (which are more plentiful than in the first film or New Moon) are exciting and stylish. The final battle (between the heroic Cullens, the Native American werewolves, and a nefarious group of "newborn," therefore super-strong, vampires) is tight and well-shot. I wish a single action sequence in Iron Man 2 had felt this vital. His directorial hand is just as sure when crafting the intimate, dialogue-driven romantic scenes. He and Rosenberg are unafraid of the conspicuous undercurrent of adolescent sexual longing--there is a real heat to the scenes, even though nothing is consumated.

Returning as human Bella, vampire Edward, and werewolf Jacob, the three members of the beloved supernatural love triangle, Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner are more comfortable than ever in their roles and therefore able to explore the characters more. Pattinson's Edward, for example, has never been more charming and loose. A honest, but tense heart-to-heart conversation between him and Jacob while Bella sleeps could be the best scene in a film with several memorable ones. The extensive supporting cast, including a fierce and fetching Bryce Dallas Howard (replacing Rachelle Lefevre as the villainous, revenge-minded Victoria), provide unblemished support.

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse is the best film of the summer thus far and one of the best films (or at least most entertaining films) of 2010. Oh, and the music must be mentioned! The Twilight saga is developing an indie-mix-tape reputation and Eclipse is no different. The film features new songs by Beck and Bat for Lashes, the Black Keys, Jack White's the Dead Weather, Cee-Lo Green (of Gnarls Barkley), Muse, Vampire Weekend, etc. Not bad, not bad at all. The Black Keys' "Chop and Change" opens the film with a particular bang.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:31 am
Leader of the Pack

I quite enjoyed it as well. Here is the opening to my review...

Quote:
They say love is a bitch, but trying to love the “Twilight” franchise may just be the trickiest love of all. While the overproduced and melodramatic piece of garbage “New Moon” strained my relationship with Hollywood’s latest overblown obsession, “Eclipse” has reignited my intrigue in a cinematic journey that started so powerfully with “Twilight.” Returning to the heart of the series by exploring the uncontrollable nature of love, not lust, “Eclipse” succeeds in its sincerity.

The rest can be read over at Insight Magazine's website at http://www.unrinsight.com/?p=5699.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:59 am
Extraordinary

Eclipse was my first Twilight movie and almost certainly will be my last*.

It's like a horror themed mix of Dallas and Twin Peaks, except all cheesy and mushy, and targeted at kids girls.

I love pure romance, but this is just diluted angst.

1 out of 5.

(* I would also pay good money to see a spin-off comedy movie franchise featuring the character of Bella's Dad as played by Billy Burke - - he was hilarious! )

(* Come to think about it, that brokebackesque scene in the tent with Jacob and Edward flirting with each other was pretty darn hot. I could also be lured back to the series if it takes a hard u-turn and drops that monster Bella from the romantic equation.)

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:14 am
Another You

For a non-fan who has never fully seen Twilight nor New Moon (though I'm now more inclined to see them now than before), this doesn't get interesting until some fight sequences and a brokebackesque tent scene with the three leads.

B-

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 pm
Another You

Bradley Witherberry wrote:

(* Come to think about it, that brokebackesque scene in the tent with Jacob and Edward flirting with each other was pretty darn hot. I could also be lured back to the series if it takes a hard u-turn and drops that monster Bella from the romantic equation.)

I feel that a prequel will likely happen sooner than a reboot, and the second one I can't afford to miss.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 pm
---------

2001 wrote:
For a non-fan who has never fully seen Twilight nor New Moon (though I'm now more inclined to see them now than before), this doesn't get interesting until some fight sequences and a brokebackesque tent scene with the three leads.

B-

Bahaha, indeed. I was wondering the whole time why Edward wouldn't flash and go buy a portable heater or more blankets instead of letting the guy your girlfriend's in love with lie near naked with her.

Anyways, I liked it the best of the three. Around a B or B+ for me.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:57 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Probably the best of the three thanks to David Slade's focused and moody direction. It's certainly more entertaining and action packed than the previous two, and a major step up from the laughably bad New Moon. The problem is that I find the supporting characters so much more interesting and sympathetic in this franchise than the protagonists. It sucks to see great, talented actors such as Anna Kendrick and Peter Facinelli relegated to useless background roles while the boring Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson take up so much screentime. Also, Bella is the most pathetic character ever. End of story. B/B-

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

just walked into to this as I heard it was just a good movie...without knowing anything...never read the books, never saw the other movies, never listened or read any discussion on twilight overall.

after seeing KNIGHT AND DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > so I figured, I could see a chick flick!!!!!! LOL!

...so it was good enough....

2 favorite things, of things not mentioned.....

*** really liked the scene where the blonde told Bella what a mistake she was making in becoming a vamp.....

*** and really liked the girl's graduation speech....about just make mistakes now in trying to figure out life as it is the time to do it.....

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:39 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
But it is untrue that one learns only through mistakes.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Argos wrote:
But it is untrue that one learns only through mistakes.

well I don't think you learn too much through what comes easy/fast to you....

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:39 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Actually this is probably the best Twilight yet. It still hasn't conquered some of its very cheesy dialogue, which can be tracked back to the pen of Ms. Meyer. However, this does advance the story a lot better especially with tracking some of the other Cullens' past along with showing that the Cullens face even more danger from other vampire groups. It does feel a lot like a build up for something big at the end, though. Hopefully it will be but from the sounds of it, the final isn't all great. **1/2

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

2/10 -> F

It's laughable how bad the third movie in the series actually is. While Twilight was simply boring, New Moon was laughably unnecessary, Eclipse is just the mix of the worst things about first two.

The whole red-head vampire girl revenge story ended in such a bad way and the whole thing felt like a TV episode (despite better production values, while previous movie looked like TV shows, this one feels like it if it doesn't look like it), only stretched over 2 hours for no apparent reason.

It's not worth wasting words on it.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

dreadful, as all the films of this franchise

D

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue May 03, 2011 9:37 am
loyalfromlondon

Easily the best in the franchise - as faint as that praise is - but it's still not very good. It actually has some real action and David Slade knows how to direct, but the piss-poor writing and acting drag him down. But it's at least mediocre instead of soul-crushingly awful.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:11 am
Pure Phase

The word masterpiece was conceived in anticipation of this film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:13 am
Extraordinary

Randomly decided to look at these threads with the video release of Breaking Dawn Pt. II. WTF at this having only 1 page, lol.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:06 am
now we know

On this forum, I'd expect that.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

God this might be my favorite movie besides BD part 2! The action was amazing, and Jacob was sexy as fuck (Edward IS hotter though haha). I’m Team Edward 4 lyfe

Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]