Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Knight and Day 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Knight and Day 
loyalfromlondon

Post Knight and Day
Knight and Day

Quote:
Knight and Day, (formerly titled Wichita and Trouble Man) is a 2010 romantic action comedy film starring Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. The film, directed by James Mangold, is Cruise and Diaz's second on-screen collaboration following the 2001 film Vanilla Sky.

The film went through a period of "development hell"; which included a prior film director and multiple writers that worked on the script. Producers for Knight and Day went through multiple other actors for the lead roles before eventually settling on Cruise and Diaz. Will Smith, Chris Tucker, and Gerard Butler were considered by the film's producers for the male lead that later went to Cruise, and Eva Mendes was initially set for the role that Diaz later portrayed in the movie. The film's investors offset funding costs by paying Cruise a lower advance fee and neglecting to provide him with a share of the revenue until the financiers earn back their initial investment in the production. Filming took place in several locations, mainly in several cities located in Massachusetts, while other scenes were filmed in Spain and parts of Austria.

Knight and Day was released in the United States on June 23, 2010. The film received mixed reviews from film critics; it garnered a "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes based upon aggregated reviews, and a rating of "mixed or average reviews" at Metacritic. Knight and Day performed poorly at the box office in its debut, proceeded to fall nine percent in ticket sales in its second day after being released, and took third place behind films Toy Story 3 and the comedy Grown Ups in its first Friday after release. At $20.5 million, the total U.S. weekend box office take for Knight and Day was the worst result for an action film starring Tom Cruise in 20 years.

However, the film was still a financial success. With a production budget of $107 million (after tax credits) Knight and Day went on to gross $261,924,837 worldwide. It grossed an estimated $185.5 million internationally, whereas it only grossed $76.4 million in the United States.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:39 am
You are waiting for a train

Post Re: Knight and Day
I was disappointed. There's nothing particularly terrible about this, but ask me about the movie in a week and I wouldn't remember a thing. That's how cliche and forgettable it was. Even A-Team, which I didn't really love, had a sense of fun and excitement that was missing from this.

It sort of felt undercooked, as if nothing reached its full potential. Even Cruise felt pretty restrained.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:50 pm
Extraordinary

KNIGHT AND DAY

I saw it wednesday. I was trying to put in my cash to help it reach that 6 million $$ club. Anyway, the movie is a pretty forgetable action comedy to me. I did enjoy the action sequences for the most part no matter how preposterous. I wasn't happy with the action edits where it would show a snippet of an image to explain away some action scene that we don't get to see. That happens throughout the film. Reminded me of the whole China sequence in MI3 where he goes in the building to steal some object but we don't see any of the action. I also thought that Cruise is entering the Harrison Ford late action years stage. Maybe it's just me but he was looking much older in this and Cameron wasn't too exciting either. Overall, I thought it was a generic popcorn flick, maybe good for one viewing. I won't be catching it again on dvd.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:49 am
Another You

Plot - Nothing too special. No major twists like in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, or the MI films, but it didn't really need one.
Characters - Cruise was great here, but he did look a lot better 5 years ago. Diaz was the usual and Dano could have had more screen time.
Action - Very good at best. Some scenes felt a little rushed, but I particularly liked the chase scene in Spain.
Comedy - There was enough humor throughout, but none of them got hilarious.

Overall - Not quite the greatness that was Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but it manages to be a very enjoyable action/comedy popcorn flick.

B

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:17 pm
Forum General

Do people really like Mr and Ms. Smith that much??? I thought it was an OK movie.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

It's very enjoyable. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are both pretty great here, and the movie manages to be very funny and action packed. It felt kinda short and rushed, and the plot is whatever, but it's fun.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Most of it was very good, the conclusion was very weak. Still one of the better efforts I've seen this year.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:35 pm
Sbil

A great load of preposterous fun. The movie never once takes itself more seriously than it needs to, probably the key element in its success. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are both in top "movie star" form here. This is Cruise's most charismatic performance in years, and Diaz is spirited and charming. The two actors also play off each other very well. Compared to something like Killers, which in some respects is practically the same movie, Knight and Day is a definite breath of fresh air. It won't change the rulebooks on filmmaking but the film is just breezy entertainment. B+

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 pm
Extraordinary

I really started out liking Knight and Day, but unfortunately it ran out of steam about a third of the way in, and then just coasted downhill from there.

Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were stellar as always - - they are simply born charmers - - and I enjoyed their chemistry together when all too briefly on display.

But Knight and Day is another film like this weekend's Grown Ups that is strictly Hollywood product - - they tweren't somebody's labor of love! They're roughly packaged bonbons ready tout suite for the summer tourist crowd coming off the loveboats every two and a half hours - - get 'em while they're hot - - because whenever you save them for later you find them caked in congealed grease.

3 out of 5.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:14 am
On autopilot for the summer

Absolutely absurd, but hilarious at times and the action was great (Seeing a fight will always be the best, as opposed to closeups and shaky cam) A great time at the movies. B+/ A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 pm
---------

LOVED it. Tom Cruse and Cameron Diaz are perfect. The movie only slows down when Cruise's character disappears for awhile, but it plays it off well when he returns and the movie moves back into high gear. The action sequences were amazing and did a great job of keeping June's perspective and how she's reacting to it all, which resulted in making you feel closer to the movie and a part of it. It's too bad this movie's not getting a bigger audience. Reminded me a lot of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, because of just how fun it is!

A-

Also, I can see why this changed titles so much. Even the one they ended up with was pretty weak, as it barely even tied in to the plot. Then again, I can't easily think of a better one so I can't blame 'em. :thumbsup:

Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:53 am
Pure Phase

Knight and Day is a bit of a throwaway title, but I don't mind it. It's fun. I believe it was once going to be called "Wichita," a far worse title.

I'm glad a couple people here have also loved this. :)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 pm
Forum General

C-

I was hoping for myself to like it but it was a thorough mess. From the get-go with the first plane action scenes something about the movie felt off, Cruise's weird spy character came across more as restrained and psychotic than an actual spoof or comedic gold character. Diaz also who I generally like, was annoyingly stupid and at times devoid of humour. The editing was also horrid and the cop-out drug scenes in my eyes were just that instead of light and breezy or whatever it's been brandished here. The only one that worked was Diaz doing it to Cruise but the entire last sequence, which I called, relied on the entire movie's jokes so it really couldn't have failed. That was probably the best part of the movie and then the BEP song that followed. Too bad, because I really wanted Cruise to have another hit.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's fun, but uneven. After the first third, which is brilliant, it starts taking itself far too seriously for such a lighthearted film. Cruise is dynamite, though, and Diaz surprisingly likeable.

Also, I agree that the action sequences (especially the Boston car chase) are terrific and refreshingly realistic (however improbable). Non-CGI effects will always be the best.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Knight & Day had heavy promotion to be a fun and fairly original summer action piece but the film ends up being decent to a bit poor and a bit generic. Tom Cruise does a good job with his very curious and odd character Rob Miller and keeps a bit of the laughter going through the film. Cameron Diaz on the other hand is boring and doesn't work well with her character of June at all. Considering her last few roles, maybe Diaz needs to hit the road. The whole CIA investigation is a bit fishy throughout and thank goodness it is somewhat resolved in the end. Peter Sarsgaard is weak and seems to work too hard to try and get his character across throughout the film. The film does have some entertaining action scenes in it and keeps the film's momentum going. Rob's mission is a bit silly as well and introducing Paul Dano (while he's pretty good here), can be done without. Add in an ending that kind of ruins what resolution was trying to be formed and Knight & Day doesn't succeed. *1/2

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

One of the most entertaining films of the year and, in terms of summer blockbusters, the best so far. I had so much fun. A-

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

overall liked it...and I thought this was a great spy parody movie - talk about a spy who makes everything work out perfectly...Loved those parts!!!!

Overall, give it a B+....

anyway want to explain some scenes to me

*** the plane scene...if it was controlled by spies, why didn't they just fight him on the ground....

*** and she got out of the hospital way too easy.....

*** and how did her cell ring on that island in the middle of the ocean....

*** and was the code your safe, really meant to kill you????

*** and why would they have wanted to kill him at the end????

NOT A BIG DEAL BUT JUST SOME LITTLE THINGS THAT THEY DIDN'T NEED IN THE MOVIE - ESPECIALLY TO GUN OR A SCREENWRITER! IMO!

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 am
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

An entertaining spy parody/comedy movie. The light and past paced start is the best part of the movie, later it slows down a bit, but it still keeps a decent amount of fun and action. Both leads are good. I loved the second time Miller drugged June. Hilariously edited scene(s).

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Awesome Movie

A-

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:37 am
The Kramer

The best action movie spoof since Hot Fuzz, and the funniest movie of 2010. A

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:21 am
Wallflower

KNIGHT & DAY - 8/10 (B+)

Really fun and entertaining. Wish it would have grossed more at the Box Office. I'd have welcomed a sequel.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:30 am
You must have big rats

B+

James Mangold is an underappreciated director. Sure he doesn't have the brilliant style or vision of the likes of the Coens, Scorsese or Fincher, but he has yet to disappoint with a single of his works. I think what I like about him the most is simply his versatility. From a well-crafted, albeit a tad convulted horror-thriller Identity, over a solid biopic Walk the Line and a terrific western remake 3:10 to Yuma to this action-comedy. Mangold has really tried himself on most genres and in each case he delivered at the very least a solid piece of work.

Knight and Day doesn't disappoint. In fact, after Mr. and Mrs. Smith or Killers, this is the best True Lies wannabe to have come along to date. Okay, the starting point is a bit different since the leads are not a couple at the beginning of the film. But that aside, it still deals with a similar overall situation. An ordinary woman gets dragged into a world of thrills and espionage by a mysterious is-he-good-or-is-he-insane man. Comedy and action ensue.

It's a real shame that Knight and Day disappointed so badly at the US theatres because it is the definition of what a summer fun movie should be. There's enough comedy to provide laughs throughout its entire running time and enough action to satisfy the action junkies among the audiences. Cruise and Diaz play off each other really well and have solid chemistry. Cruise might be a nutjob in real life, but I still really enjoy seeing him on screen. And Diaz...well, I have always been a fan of hers and she actually still looks quite good in that bikini. But looks aside, she also has got a great comedic talent that she can showcase in this film. I must say I was also surprised by how good the action was in most parts of the film, so it really did deliver on both aspects.

It is, of course, not a flawless film. While Cruise and Diaz are great, the supporting cast is nothing more than filler. Sarsgaard and Dano don't really get anything to do at all and the plot development is quite predictable. But all that doesn't really matter when you have a film that's breezy, funny and entertaining like this one. I would have really liked to see a sequel, but looking at the numbers - we won't get one.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Watching this on HBO now. I've bumped my grade up to an A ;) This is one of my favorite blockbusters of the past few years.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Just watched this again. It's the perfect mix of spy action and romantic comedy, and it's much more enjoyable than any James Bond movie. Cruise is spectacular and Diaz is actually lovely (unlike usual when she's quite annoying). The film could have done with a better villain, perhaps a higher profile star, but apart from that it's a great, great action spy thriller. The original score is really lovely too.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

As with the trailer, I wish they had used Muse's "Uprising" in the actual film, and around the same part too (just when Roy leaves the diner after shooting June's fireman friend in the leg and they are in the car being chased). Such a great track.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next