Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Toy Story 3 

What grade would you give this film?
A 84%  84%  [ 32 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38

Toy Story 3 
loyalfromlondon

Post Toy Story 3
Toy Story 3

Quote:
Toy Story 3 is a 2010 American 3D computer-animated comedy-adventure film. It is the third film in the Toy Story series. It was produced by Pixar and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It was directed by Lee Unkrich. The film was released worldwide from June through October in Disney Digital 3-D, RealD and IMAX 3D. Toy Story 3 was also the first film to be released theatrically with 7.1 surround sound.

The plot focuses on the toys Woody, Buzz Lightyear, and their friends dealing with an uncertain future as their owner, Andy, prepares to leave for college. Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles, Estelle Harris, John Ratzenberger, Wallace Shawn, Jeff Pidgeon, Jodi Benson, R. Lee Ermey, John Morris, and Laurie Metcalf reprised their voice-over roles from the previous films. Jim Varney, who played Slinky Dog in the first two films, and Joe Ranft, who portrayed Wheezy and Lenny, both died before production began on Toy Story 3. The role of Slinky Dog was taken over by Blake Clark, while Ranft's characters and various others were written out of the story. New characters include performances by Ned Beatty, Timothy Dalton, Kristen Schaal, Bonnie Hunt, Whoopi Goldberg, Jeff Garlin, and Michael Keaton.

The feature broke Shrek the Third's record as the biggest opening day North American gross for an animated film unadjusted for inflation and a big opening with an unadjusted gross of $110,307,189. It is also the highest-grossing opening weekend for a Pixar film, as well as the highest-grossing opening weekend for a film to have opened in the month of June. The film is the highest-grossing film of 2010 in the United States and Canada, and the highest-grossing film of 2010 worldwide. In July, it surpassed Finding Nemo to become Pixar's highest ever grossing film at the North American box office. In early August, the film surpassed Shrek 2 as the highest-grossing animated film of all-time worldwide; in late August, Toy Story 3 became the first ever animated film in history to make over $1 billion worldwide. It is currently the 7th highest-grossing film of all time.

Toy Story 3 was nominated for five Academy Awards – Best Picture, Best Animated Feature, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Song, and Best Sound Editing. It was the third animated film (after Beauty and the Beast and Up) to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture. It won the awards for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:54 am
---------

Post Re: Toy Story 3
Just perfect. :thumbsup: The story is a just a glorified escape plan, but it's these toys that we're here for. Everything is so well done and all of the writing is top-notch. The new characters are great too, especially the Hedgehog and Evil Monkey. I was surprised in some parts near the end that Pixar went as far as they did. Some pretty deep moments.

I think my favorite part of the whole movie was the first 10 minutes though. DEATH BY MONKEYS!!

The animation (Day & Night) before the movie was as always top notch.

A-

My only wish: a cameo by Sid!!! Also,

Spoiler: show
it seemed like they set it up for a Bo Peep / Woody reunion, what happened??

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:48 am
Extraordinary

I didn't think they were setting up for anything. It's just a sad fact that toys disappear over time and she was one of them.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:12 pm
Powered By Hate

If you don't like, you HAVE NO SOUL!

Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:10 pm
Killing With Kindness

Tyler wrote:
If you don't like, you HAVE NO SOUL!

:thumbsup:

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Unbelievable. Incredible. Best Toy Story. And like everyone else, the last 15 min or so are BRILLIANT. Got my eyes pouring. Loved it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

I am sure I am in the minority, but I think it would have been perfect if they had ended up in the incinerator--at least the way it was set-up. No way that would ever happen in a kids movie, but still.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Just like if Wall E would've been shut down for good... I probably would have died.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:00 am
Devil's Advocate

I really liked it, but maybe a bit too action heavy. The daycare section feels like one long run and chase sequence. Which is fine, but ultimately a bit empty looking back on it. Compare this to the fishtank scenes and escape plan in Finding Nemo and how much more they took their time in those scenes, setting up the fishtank characters, creating the escape plot, etc. In Toy Story 3 it goes straight from the toys getting captured to them busting out rather easily. Feels much more rushed and empty. Until the end the toys are action delivery devices, not characters. Particularly Buzz and Jessie get a short stick here - they're glorified versions of Rex, Potato Head, Ken and Barbie, etc. in that they're there for the jokes. Woody is the only toy character given a heart to work with here and the only one treated as a real character, among the good guys

Ultimately their daycare sequence means nothing for the toys. You could cut out the entire film, have Andy donate them to Bonnie, and there's be 0 difference. Toy Story 3 has the feel of a weekly serial. This week on Toy Story, Woody and co. have to escape a dictator run daycare. Andy donating them matters, the daycare stuff is meaningless except to entertain us. In a show like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this would be the standalone plotline in an episode. And this is fine because the film is raucous entertainment as an action comedy. But I'm not sure if this is what Pixar was going for. This is the 3rd film in the trilogy, likely the closing chapter. This is a story with characters we've come to know and love for 2 films. Pixar at this stage of time is accustomed to putting emotional weight in their films. But the toys don't really matter here... 95% of them, basically everyone but Woody, are just action/comedy devices until the last 5 minutes, where I admittedly almost cried. Probably because Andy and Bonnie actually felt real. In the rest of the film Pixar is having so much fun "playing" with their toys by making jokes for them that they forget it's usually the plotting, characters, etc. substance that props up the humor, not the other way around. When it feels like the jokes and individual scenes come first and making the plot fit around them comes second, the result is rather empty

So I dunno. I enjoyed the film for the action and humor, but I'd be hesitant to call it great.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:15 am
Teh Mexican

A+

Brilliant. Nuff said.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:27 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Shack, You obviously missed the point of the daycare then.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:30 am
King Albert!

Aside from the obvious, this probably has one of the most poignant endings ever. Sad/happy way to end the trilogy.

Grade - A+ (can't get any better than this).

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Toy Story franchise is one that has stuck with audiences for years as something that can be played over and over again and never lose its magical touch. It was always fun and go back to the adventures of Woody, Buzz, and the gang no matter what obstacle they faced. Now with Toy Story 3, we get to enjoy these characters one more time and it is a blast. From the starting scene of "Death by Monkeys", we are already brought into why this franchise is so beloved and just have a wonderfully fun time with it. Even though a few characters are missing from the pack, the film still makes it through. Then as the toys are sent away, the story doesn't falter and there are more toys to enjoy along the way. While Lotso the Bear is the villian here, he is still a fun and loveable character all together. Once the film hits "prison break" mode, the rest of the film becomes gold. It not only has its funny moments but also those that leave you guessing until the end. The visuals in this new story are beyond wonderful and the 3D only enhances that. Lee Unkrich successfully takes over for John Lasseter with directing the film and doesn't make the film lose its touch. In the last few minutes of the film, the audience can fully connect through what Andy does and its a fitting touch to say goodbye to these characters after a miraculous 15 years. ****

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:59 am
Profile WWW