Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 The Karate Kid (2010) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The Karate Kid (2010) 
Extraordinary

Post The Karate Kid (2010)
The Karate Kid

Quote:
The Karate Kid (known as The Kung Fu Dream in China and sometimes Karate Kid 5 and Best Kid in Japan and South Korea) is a 2010 American martial arts remake of the 1984 film of the same name. Directed by Harald Zwart, produced by Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, the film stars Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan.

Principal photography for the film took place in Beijing, China; filming began around July 2009 and ended on October 16, 2009. The Karate Kid was released theatrically in the United States on June 11, 2010.

The plot concerns a 12-year-old boy from Detroit who moves to China with his mother and runs afoul of the neighborhood bully. He makes an unlikely ally in the form of his aging maintenance man, Mr. Han, a kung fu master who teaches him the secrets to self-defense.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:04 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: The Karate Kid (2010)
I haven't seen the end yet, but most of it is pretty enjoyable. Smith can be really irritating when he's doing his whole "look at me, I'm cute and funny" routine, but when he comes down to earth in the romantic/training scenes he does a fine job. Chan is actually surprisingly restrained and plays the role well. The film gives into melodrama too often, and the pacing can be verrryy slow, but if you just tune out the dull scenes it's a pretty fun ride. Much better than everything else I've seen this summer, aside from Greek.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:02 am
ef star star kay

My little brother is really really excited about this.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:49 pm
Sbil

Surprisingly effective. It doesn't make quite the same impact as the original film, but the remake is a well-acted, entertaining movie, despite being about 20 minutes too long. Jaden Smith shows the makings, potentially, of a future movie star: he's a natural performer and has inherited much of his father's charisma. Jackie Chan also shows more dramatic depth than one might expect in the Pat Morita role. Taraji P. Henson, as Smith's mother, takes a role that could've been one-note generic and gives it life. The change in location to China helps usher in some lush scenery that makes the story seem a little more fresh than it actually is. Overall, a good time at the movies that actually is good entertainment for people of all ages. B+

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:08 pm
Extraordinary

I really quite enjoyed The Karate Kid (though I surely must be amongst a minority of viewers who've never seen the original).

The methodical emotional set-up paid off like a rickety roller coaster train clicking slowly up that big hill before cresting the peak and hurtling down into a crescendo of emotional pay-offs. It doesn't hurt that Jaden Smith is so darn charming and perfect for the role. And I'm in the camp that always looks forward to Jackie Chan's performance, even in lesser films, so this example of some of his finer work is a welcome abundance amidst the seasons of his career. Then the Chinese backdrops were drop dead gorgeous and/or realistic, and filmed with a dashing panache.

Sure it's two hours and twenty minutes long - - but is a luring siren of a movie - - it calls you in towards the sharp rocks of threat and yet lights you're way though to the calm waters of serenity.

The Karate Kid is Hollywood product of the finest quality.

5 out of 5.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:42 am
Killing With Kindness

Watched both versions yesterday. I was surprised to find I like the new version more, I think there was slightly more emotional depth, and actually having the film in its martial arts native country was a big plus.

BJs Grade:

B

Gave the original a B-. Dre's (Jaden Smith) story for me was far more stirring than Daniels.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Exciting, exhilarating, just amazing. I no longer believe Jaden Smith is Will Smith's son, but instead a direct clone with super-charged DNA destined for a huge career. Probably the youngest person I've ever seen with a six-pack. The Karate Kid is pretty funny too; it just does a really great job of drawing you in. Complaints about length I can't see, if anything the movie flies by and ends pretty quick.

A-

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:59 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

While The Karate Kid doesn't fully satisfy its name, it is still a wonderful rebirth to the franchise that works in its own way separate from the 80's franchise. Jaden Smith is surprisingly strong as Dre here and though at times his character can be a bit too whiny, he still satisfies what needs to be done. Taraji P. Henson is good in her time on screen as does Han Wen Wen. The true gold for the film though goes to Jackie Chan and maybe the Best Supporting Actor nomination will come true come Oscar time as his performance is fairly strong. While the 140-minute runtime seems long, the film breezes through without many slow points along the way. The film is also filled with minimum recurring themes that can be seen in other family or fighting films. Some of the bits are a bit extreme even for a PG rating but the film is a great joy and another great surprise. ***

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

Jaden Smith was really just an 11 year old version of Will Smith. I somewhat expected that, but I didn't expect him to be that similar.

It's not close to bad- in fact, it's solid at parts- but still entirely unremarkable. The original is timeless on its own, so I just didn't quite feel the need of this remake.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:54 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was actually pretty delightful. It was entertaining and emotionally resonant, and despite being close to two and a half hours I was never bored. I thought Jackie Chan's performance was great. B+

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 am
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

A-

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:01 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Extremely generic, cliche, and cheesy. Didn't like this at all.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:29 am

Mr. Lobotomy wrote:
Extremely generic, cliche, and cheesy. Didn't like this at all.

um, did you see the original? What were you expecting?

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Karate kid was an awesome movie, Jacky Chan is really my idol, he knew different self defense.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:44 pm
Ocarina of Time

This wansnt as bad as I thought, just an ok film, no more

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

It takes too long to get into the whole karate thing, which actually isn't karate at all, but kung fu. But since when does the title have to refer to something actually happening in the movie?

When it finally gets into the whole karate-kid template story, it has way too weak setting (the kids are annoying BTW) and it's not as funny nor as charming as the original.

The real surprise was Jackie Chan. I'll let the scene where he fights children slide (seriously who came up with that idea?), but he showed some acting chops. Kudos Mr. Chan. Never thought you had it in you.

I also wanted to shake the head of the director so hard until his eye balls pop out. People in Hollywood really need to learn how to use handheld cams. Just because the picture goes up and down it doesn't mean it's more real for heaven's sake.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:24 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

While the sequels went down in quality this reboot stays true to the original and I believe it should have been renamed to The Kung-Fu Kid instead. Jackie Chan and Jaden are both really good in this. The end fight does not bring the thrills and or emotions of the original did but it does its job. Its a worthy reboot that should have gotten a sequel.

B+

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]