Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Océans [Oceans] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Océans [Oceans] 
Extraordinary

Post Océans [Oceans]
Oceans

Quote:
Oceans is a 2010 French-American nature documentary film by Jacques Perrin, distributed in the United States by Disneynature. It was released on April 22, 2010 in 1,200 theaters in the US, to coincide with Earth Day. The film explores the oceans of the Earth's surface and the mysteries that lie beneath. It is Disneynature's second release following Earth in 2009.

Budgeted at 50 million euros, it was filmed in over 50 different places and took four years to film. The movie is a high-quality filming documentary featuring ocean animals. It reflects the need to respect nature and demonstrates the negative aspects of human activity on animals.

Oceans is directed and produced by Jacques Perrin, director Jacques Cluzaud with producer Nicolas Mauvernay, editors Catherine Mauchain and Vincent Schmitt, art director Arnaud Le Roch.

Visual effects were produced by visual effect supervisor Nicolas Chevallier, VFX producers Alain Lalanne and Edouard Valton, digital artists Mickael Goussard, Jean-Louis Kalifa, Julien Buisseret, Olivier Sicot, Nicolas Evrard.

Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas recorded a special duet for the film titled, “Make A Wave.”

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Oceans
Being such a huge animal lover, I really enjoyed this film. I thought Pierce Brosnan's voice as the narrator really added to the film too. The visuals were great and I feel like this entire film captured the true life of the underwater world.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 pm
Star Trek XI

Did anyone else get a chance to check this movie out?

Sun May 02, 2010 8:51 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I will if it's still around in 3/4 weeks.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 02, 2010 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I've heard the narration is terrible. Rather than give us scientific context (i.e. why, where, what), they just have Pierce saying cheesy lines such as "Perhaps the question shouldn't be, 'What, exactly, is the ocean?', but 'Who, exactly, are we?'"

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 03, 2010 7:50 pm
Extraordinary

Gunslinger wrote:
I've heard the narration is terrible. Rather than give us scientific context (i.e. why, where, what), they just have Pierce saying cheesy lines such as "Perhaps the question shouldn't be, 'What, exactly, is the ocean?', but 'Who, exactly, are we?'"

I've heard:

pinkvision wrote:
Pierce Brosnan's voice as the narrator really added to the film too.

Tue May 04, 2010 5:31 am
You are waiting for a train

His voice is quite cheesy. But that doesn't take away from the beautiful images we get, even if they don't form any sort of story or give any sort of message.

Tue May 04, 2010 11:07 pm
Extraordinary

Coming on the tail of the directors' previous film (the stunningly brilliant Winged Migration - - easily one of my all-time top ten nature documentaries), Oceans has a high seawall to breach. Alas, it doesn't quite soar to those lofty heights - - but nonetheless it's still a marvel to behold. The footage is ridiculous - - what kind of epic logistics and olympian patience go into getting these shots?!?

I, for one, liked the narration. Yeah, I could just look at the silent visuals, but the music and script give it character. There's a definite overtone of deliberate spoof in the respectful words spoken by Pierce Brosnan - - it is a pleasantly subtle, sly form of humor that is so rarely used! And I can't think of a reason I wouldn't like to be listening to Pierce read, though it's seems a rather thankless job.

Ironically released the same week as the Deepwater Horizon oil spill was , it is a clarion call to be grateful for our bountiful world.

5 out of 5.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 am
Devil's Advocate

It's OK. Films a lot of ocean stuff in a kid accesible package. Disney did what they wanted.

But I was disappointing because of misguided expectations and admittedly checking my watch. I expected learning, eccentricities and facts about the ocean and its life I didn't know. Understandably they outline early they're interested in a senses-based trip, not an info film. Which is fine, but admittedly a bit of a letdown.

Winged Migration is 100x more entertaining than this. Don't know why when both similarly just film the animals. Maybe it's cause Migration films far less species, but spends far more time with each - Whereas Oceans tries to film as many types as possible, but only gives a glimpse into each. Still, WM is a crazy achievement.

Still Oceans has its moments. Loved the blue whale shot, the elderly chinese fish, and life on the reef.

Score is great. The narration script is hogwash - it's 90 minutes of fancy ways to say "look at the pretty fish!" due to the senses only aim of the film. After a while Brosnan's voice ceased to be words and instead became a part of the background music, like a lovely British lullaby backing the fish images. I could sleep to the combination of the score and the narration. Ultimately the film is like a visual, audio lullaby with ocean images. Has value, but not my thing.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:06 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It has beautiful images to accompany it, but Oceans still is a very dull and uninteresting documentary. While it is nice to see animals and places not seen by many before, it's an aspect that is done a lot on TV documentaries anyway. To make itself noticeable in the film aspect it had to become massively informative while also keeping the images in tact. The end results is images plastered with repetitive narration from Pierce Brosnan. There is nothing that is learned here and at times the brain just gets duller. Yes it's supposed to be aimed at kids, but all they're going to worry about is seeing pretty images. Let them have that but give the adults what they're paying money for when seeing a documentary, a learning experience. Don't worry yourself with "ooh" and "ahh" moments. *

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I heard that there are multiple versions of Oceans floating out there - a European cut being much more frank and intellectually stimulating. At least on IMDB, there is supposedly an 104 minute cut compared to the 84 minute US version. I'm going sea kayaking for six weeks on Saturday, and though I'd rather watch the more complex version, I may just settle with the Disney eye candy...

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:25 pm
Ocarina of Time

A

just beautiful as Planet Earth

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2