Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Remember Me 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Remember Me 
loyalfromlondon

Post Remember Me
Remember Me

Quote:
Remember Me is a 2010 American romantic drama film directed by Allen Coulter based on a screenplay written by Will Fetters. The film stars Robert Pattinson, Emilie de Ravin and Pierce Brosnan.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:18 am
Sbil

Post Re: Remember Me
Remember Me seems to have been designed as a vehicle for resident heartthrob of the moment Robert Pattinson, but it is a surprisingly quiet, bittersweet little film. Pattinson has previously shown himself to be a horrendous actor in the Twilight movies; while he won't win any awards for his work here, he shows some range and acquits himself in the lead role fairly well. A solid supporting cast surrounds Pattinson. Emilie de Ravin (with a flawless American accent) lights up the screen, while Chris Cooper, Pierce Brosnan and Lena Olin do good work despite some underdeveloped characters. The low-key romance between Pattinson and de Ravin generally works, and I also bought the troubled family dynamics presented to us. The ending will no doubt prove controversial; it's impossible to talk about it without spoiling it, but it will no doubt polarize viewers and affect how they feel about the film as a whole (I personally thought it was a brave, if overly gloomy, conclusion). B

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:41 pm
Orphan

Really incredibly well-acted film by everyone. Pattinson has a bright future ahead of him if he wants it. Definitely could have a DiCaprio-like career path as both started in a similar place in their careers and both showed a tendency towards wanting to become serious actors and shy away from taking the easy money of doing blockbuster franchise films (coughTaylorLautnercough).

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:43 am
Pure Phase

Highly enjoyed this. The ensemble cast is superb. Their convincing, moving performances are the film's highlight. I adored the scenes between Pattinson and his sister, portrayed by the delightful Ruby Jerins. Very Holden and Phoebe Caulfield-esque.

The sentiment (life is short and the world is unjust and violent, so it is important to celebrate every day) is ancient, but noble and it is conveyed with sincerity and warmth in Remember Me.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:36 am
Pure Phase

As for the controversial, polarizing ending -

Spoiler: show
A neighbor of mine died in the Pentagon on 9/11 and even then, when I was 11, I could not get this notion out of my head: how strange and tragic to leave home on a Tuesday morning and never return. For example, I remember his widow mentioned he was excited to watch Band of Brothers. But then he died. Murdered by terrorists. It is impossible to comprehend.

The decision to end a fictional romantic drama on September 11, 2001 will infuriate certain viewers and I won't even deny there is a slight air of exploitation to it, yet I found it so devastating and moving. I thought it perfectly captured the idea of not only losing but LEAVING one's life in an instant. One second, there, leaving home with every intention of returning soon; then, dead, murdered. A cosmic F.U.

*further thoughts on the ending below, with the extra benefit of more time to reflect*

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:41 am
Extraordinary

I really wasn't expecting anything from this, so I was really, really surprised by how good I thought this was.

I don't know about the ending, but Pattinson is really, really great here. (VERY surprising)

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 am
Wallflower

REMEMBER ME - 8/10 (A-)

Pretty damn terrific! Robert Pattinson is great here. He definitely has a bright future ahead of him after the "Twilight" movies. He's a very charismatic actor and doesn't deserve the flack that he gets for starring in the tween vampire romance series. I believe, one day, he will be a great actor. I think his career could easily mirror that of Leonardo DiCaprio's, though I'm not particularly fond of DiCaprio. Pattinson has range and I hope he lives up to his promise as an actor.

Emilie de Ravin is really good as the love interest. She has a natural likeability. Nurse Jackie's Ruby Jerins is wonderful as the sister of Pattinson's character. I loved the relationship between these two siblings. It was one of my favorite things about the film.

I would have rated this movie a notch higher if it wouldn't have been for the ending. I haven't gathered my thoughts on it completely, but it felt unnecessary and a bit manipulative. It kind of drags it down. Still, this is a surprisingly impressive drama thanks in large part to Pattinson. It's a mature romance that deserves to be seen.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:45 am

IDK guys, A.O. Scott told me Pattinson sucks in this, so I have hard time believing you!

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:33 am
Pure Phase

Mike wrote:
I would have rated this movie a notch higher if it wouldn't have been for the ending. I haven't gathered my thoughts on it completely, but it felt unnecessary and a bit manipulative. It kind of drags it down.

A bit manipulative? To use Peter Gabriel's favorite word, the ending is a sledgehammer of manipulation. :p

I myself have mixed feelings. The ending has haunted me, though. Not only the way it's presented and how it concludes the specific story, but also in its broader mainstream-cinematic and social implications.

No American knew September 11, 2001 was one of the most important and violent days in history. No one knew 9/11 was going to be different from 9/9 or 9/10; they showered, ate their cereal, confirmed dinner plans, drove to and fro, rented movies, bought CDs, etc. Just another day, until it wasn't. Part of me digs how Remember Me captures this terrifying part of the 9/11 experience.

I believe this was their intention, or at least it's the intention they will claim: no one saw 9/11 coming, so neither did our characters, this is the inherent tragedy. Yet there is still the nausea-inducing realization: the film DOES treat 9/11 as a plot twist. When we see the date on the board, we are meant to GASP, Bruce-Willis-is-dead?!? style. And part of me just isn't completely ready for 9/11 to be a plot twist in a Robert Pattinson vehicle. The movie also misses the chance to let the story unfold within the context of pre-9/11 New York, as August with Josh Hartnett and David Bowie does.

I s'pose there are minor hints embedded within Remember Me regarding the fact it's set in 2001, but they're quite weak-sauce. No one turned to their friend in the theatre and said, with excitement and awe, "Chris Cooper rented Erin Brockovich?! Holy shit, when is this set?!" The American Pie 2 bit wasn't much better, if anything it was just a bit confusing and then quickly forgotten.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:54 am
Extraordinary

Michael A wrote:
IDK guys, A.O. Scott told me Pattinson sucks in this, so I have hard time believing you!

A.O. Scott was one of the few reviewers to correctly assess Freddy Got Fingered, so your lack of belief is well founded.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:01 am
Forum General

I really loved this. The acting was wonderful (especially from Pattinson, who was fantastic) and the ending was handled wonderfully. Very underrated flick and one of the best of the year so far.

8/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Remember Me is a surprisingly well-crafted film despite being marketed as just another Robert Pattinson film. Pattinson is actually convincing enough in his role after still dealing with the suicide of his older brother six years later and the continued separation he feels from his father. Emile de Ravin does well as Pattinson's lover and its good that this angle of the story doesn't take over the film as a whole. Pierce Brosnan also gives a good performance here. While the ending is for sure controversial, it properly matches with the film and makes it stronger. A good film in the end. **1/2

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]