Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Halloween II (1981) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Halloween II (1981) 
College Boy Z

Post Halloween II (1981)
Halloween II

Quote:
Halloween II is a 1981 horror film and the second installment in the Halloween series. The film was directed by Rick Rosenthal, written by John Carpenter and Debra Hill, and is a direct sequel to the first film. Set on the same night of Halloween 1978, in the fictional American Midwestern town of Haddonfield, the seemingly unkillable Michael Myers follows his intended victim Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) to a nearby hospital while Dr. Sam Loomis (Donald Pleasence) is still in pursuit of his patient.

Stylistically, Halloween II reproduces certain key elements that made the original Halloween a success, such as first-person camera perspectives and unexceptional settings. The sequel was a box office success, grossing over $25.5 million in the United States.

Halloween II was intended to be the last chapter of the Halloween series to revolve around Michael Myers and Haddonfield, but after the lackluster reaction to Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982), Michael Myers returned seven years later in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988).

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:12 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This movie is not nearly as scary as the original, but it makes up for that by being action packed and having great death scenes (The hot tub scene is one of the best all time kills) Jaime Lee Curtis has a great preformance as does Donald Pleasance. Overall, the film couldn't capture the non stop tension of the original, but it is a worthy and entertaining sequel

B+

Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

Great follow up to the classic original. I liked it a lot. It had great pacing, and Jamie Lee Curtis is excellent. I really liked a lot of the kills, and the ending is good too. The score is also very good, and I thought it was a well done sequel. Halloween is one of my most favorite horror movies of all time, and I just love the whole franchise. This sequel is a close second, and I think its good.

B+

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:41 am
Profile YIM WWW
George A. Romero

got way too much harsh criticism. although not as good as the original, it is still a top of the line horror movie

A-

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:55 pm
Teh Mexican

One of the Best Horror Sequels ever made IMO, Great movie

B+

Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:08 pm
La Bella Vito

I'm impressed to see a lot of people like this. I bought the dvd, it was only $5.99 at BestBuy, and the dvd transfer is so nice, looks so crystal clear.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

AS horror sequels go, this is one of the best. To me, it was a very worthy predecessor to the original. Carpenter should have been proud of this film, even though he didn't direct it. It continued the storry wonderfully and a few of the hospital sccenes were just terrifying.

9/10

Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

AS horror sequels go, this is one of the best. To me, it was a very worthy predecessor to the original. Carpenter should have been proud of this film, even though he didn't direct it. It continued the storry wonderfully and a few of the hospital sccenes were just terrifying.

9/10

After seeing Resurrection, you can see Carpenter may not have directed, but he certainly was probably the most important person there. Writing the script, and filming two days of reshoots himself. The result, not as good as the first, but a great followup (Awesome conclusion) As far as horror sequels go, perhaps only Scream 2, Exorcist III, and Jaws 2 are in the same league as just following very well.

The family reveal was a huge shocker from memory, perhaps only second to Darth and Luke. Great Twist.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:16 am
Indiana Jones IV

Compared to Halloween, a generic slasher that's obviously trying to compete with the early 80's slasher phenomenon over doing its own thing. Nonetheless, it's on a slightly higher tier: it contains some effective moments, the continuity could have been much worse, and it did scare people at the time. So, I have to give it credit where credit is due.

I'm going to go against the grain here: I felt the brother/sister reveal was pretty cheap and nothing more than a plot device to extend this series for more money. Yes, it did establish the family angle; however, as much as I liked one or two sequels in this series, there was really no reason to continue the series after film one.

The writer (a distorted drunken John Carpenter himself) admitted having no ambition when writing this script, so that rubs me the wrong way. I think a little ambition could have improved this piece further. I'm sure there were several people at the time who would have put their heart and soul into the script.

Anyway, it's a slightly successful film, while, at the same time, a pretty big disappointment. The film had some big shoes to fill: it managed to stick a couple toes in, but not enough.

C+

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

9/10
;)

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:23 pm
Extraordinary

It's the original movie all over again, but without an ounce of suspense. It never really gains a life of its own until the last twenty minutes.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:01 pm

Compared to Halloween, a generic slasher that's obviously trying to compete with the early 80's slasher phenomenon over doing its own thing. Nonetheless, it's on a slightly higher tier: it contains some effective moments, the continuity could have been much worse, and it did scare people at the time. So, I have to give it credit where credit is due.

I'm going to go against the grain here: I felt the brother/sister reveal was pretty cheap and nothing more than a plot device to extend this series for more money. Yes, it did establish the family angle; however, as much as I liked one or two sequels in this series, there was really no reason to continue the series after film one.

The writer (a distorted drunken John Carpenter himself) admitted having no ambition when writing this script, so that rubs me the wrong way. I think a little ambition could have improved this piece further. I'm sure there were several people at the time who would have put their heart and soul into the script.

Anyway, it's a slightly successful film, while, at the same time, a pretty big disappointment. The film had some big shoes to fill: it managed to stick a couple toes in, but not enough.

C+

Well to be fair, I know exactly what your talking about with Carpenter, and he did state that he had no ambition because there was no possible way to outdo the original. He did his best, but knew he could never go up on himself.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:25 pm
Mod Team Leader

As sequels go, this isn't a better movie than the original, but what it is and what it does well, it does really well. I have to say right away here that I was scared in this movie. There are some truly ingenious and horrific shots in this film. There are times when you really aren't expecting what's about to transpire, and when it does, it sends chills through you.

I first saw this film in my " horror " days in the mid 80's. I was 12 years old then. So I just recently watched it again to see if it would have the same affect on me now. I sat in my basement and turned off all the lights and you know what, I was spooked. Right from the opening number of Carpenter's ominous music and the pumpkin slowly transforming into Michael's angry face, I knew right there that I was in for a night of fear. And I was.

The story starts the same night as Halloween ended on. Laurie is being taken to the hospital and there is a massive manhunt to find Myers. Laurie eventually gets settled into the hospital and it becomes only a matter of time until Michael can find out where she is. He finally comes to get her and then all hell breaks loose.

One of the major players in this film is the locale. The hospital is dark and quiet and rather empty. And that adds to the atmosphere of the film. It gives us lots of long hallways so we can have a few shots of Michael hunting his prey. What we also get is an array of rooms to 86 his victims in and a slew of weapons to do it with.

Rick Rosenthal directed this film and I am amazed that he really didn't go on to do much because he almost copies Carpenter's style to the tee here. Brilliant in particular are two shots. One is where Michael appears out of the darkness in one room to attack his victim. The lighting is solely responsible for the affectiveness of this shot and it works so well that it still gives me the shivers when I watch it. The second is when Micael attacks one of the nurses while Laurie watched helplessly from a distance.

Not only is this a good horror movie, it is a good film and if the first rates a 10/10, this is certainly of a 9. It is that good. And if you don't agree with me, watch it again---by yourself and then answer that question.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

You know?? After 25 years since seeing this in theatres, It never really occurred to me until after seeing this movie like a 100 times that the hospital had no lights or patients in it and Dr. Loomis goes on to survive an explosion in an operating room that would've desintegrated both men.. :hahaha:

Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Halloween 2
The biggest difference between this and the first? Rick Rosenthal. The man can't set up a scare to save his life. With the first film you had the great camera shots with Michael's point of view that Carpenter used to set up the tension. In this film Michael isn't stalking, he's lurking. He's always in a shadow somewhere and just when he's about to kill he'll step out from under it and stop before he kills ruining any of the suspense. Rosenthal also ruins the hospital setting. With a decent director the hospital could've been claustrophobic. Instead Rosenthal opens everything up. There are hallways and corridors galore. There's one good shot that gets this feeling across and that's the one with Laurie sitting on the floor next to the door and the camera zooms in on her. Other than that it was a wasted opportunity.

And from a writing perspective you can tell that Carpenter and Hill were just bankrupt. They didn't want to write the sequel and it shows. Keeping the central character in bed for two thirds of the film was/is not a good idea.

Its not good.

*½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 am
Profile WWW

Post Re:
MR. GREEN wrote:
You know?? After 25 years since seeing this in theatres, It never really occurred to me until after seeing this movie like a 100 times that the hospital had no lights or patients in it and Dr. Loomis goes on to survive an explosion in an operating room that would've desintegrated both men.. :hahaha:

You can diss the logics of the franchise, but not the movie. This is the true ending to the series. Pleasance sacrificing himself and micheal is an awesome ending. And have you ever been in a hospital overnight BKB, its very darkened. They have dimmers and blacken areas with no patients.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:06 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Re:
Thegun wrote:
MR. GREEN wrote:

You can diss the logics of the franchise, but not the movie. This is the true ending to the series. Pleasance sacrificing himself and micheal is an awesome ending. And have you ever been in a hospital overnight BKB, its very darkened. They have dimmers and blacken areas with no patients.

Bullshit Gun.. I worked as an Orderly at Barnes Hospital back in the mid 80's and they have patients there at night and they have a staff there as well.. You have to have nurses and on-call doctors or even ER doctors there running the joint.. H2 Had 1 nurse in the dark running a whole unit and 2 paramedics, one of which was getting stoned and 1 doctor they had to call in who was out drinking to stitch Laurie up in the beginning.. Hell for that matter, there was no armed security either to see Michael just stroll through the doors and hack to death what staff they did have..

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Halloween 2
Why does the poll have me rating this an A? Halloween II is not an A-movie.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]