Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

College Boy Z

Post Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Quote:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (also known as Batman: The Animated Movie) is a 1993 animated superhero film based on the fictional DC Comics character Batman. Eric Radomski and Bruce Timm directed the film, which stars Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker, as well as Dana Delany, Hart Bochner, Abe Vigoda, and Stacy Keach. The film's storyline introduces Andrea Beaumont, an old love interest of Bruce Wayne, who returns to Gotham City, restarting their romance. At the same time, a mysterious killer begins systematically eliminating Gotham's crime bosses, and due to the person's dark appearance, he is mistaken for Batman. Now on the run, Batman must apprehend the killer and deal with the romance between himself and Andrea.

Development for the film started after the success of Batman: The Animated Series. Warner Bros. assigned Alan Burnett to write the story, and Burnett collaborated with writers Paul Dini, Michael Reaves, and Martin Pasko. The original idea was to release the film as direct-to-video, but the studio decided for a theatrical release, giving the filmmakers a strenuous eight-month schedule. Mask of the Phantasm was released with positive critical success, but resulted in a dismal box office due to the decision to release the film in theaters on such short notice. The film has since found cult success through its various VHS and DVD releases.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:12 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This is by far, the best Batman movie ever made. The animation is top notch, as is the story. Bruce Timm is wonderful in capturing a mature and enthralling Batman tale, not the cheesy fluff of Joel Schumacher, or the over the top goth symbolism of Tim Burton. The Phantasm is a very interesting villian and Kevin Conroy is the quintessential Batman. All in all, skip the live action Batman films, and pick up this underrated treasure :razz:

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This is by far, the best Batman movie ever made. The animation is top notch, as is the story. Bruce Timm is wonderful in capturing a mature and enthralling Batman tale, not the cheesy fluff of Joel Schumacher, or the over the top goth symbolism of Tim Burton. The Phantasm is a very interesting villian and Kevin Conroy is the quintessential Batman. All in all, skip the live action Batman films, and pick up this underrated treasure :razz:

I agree 100% - seriously under-rated!

(Though I still have a soft spot for the 1960's camp TV version...)

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:57 pm
Teh Mexican

UUh i saw this one on TV ages ago, and i was very bored..............

C+

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:30 pm
La Bella Vito

I totally agree! I just loved this movie. Everything about it was amazing. The animation, story, villian, action sequences. I just thought it was so incredible, but unfortunately it flopped at the box office, but I still really do like it, and The Phantasm is truly frightening.

A

Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
Superfreak

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:23 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
I just saw this a few weeks ago and was very impressed. Outside of Nolan's take on the Batman universe, this puts all others to shame.

Fri May 09, 2008 12:52 pm
now we know

Along with The Killing Joke, this is probably the best of the animated Batman movies. It's just really how I remember animated Batman from when I was younger. The animation is lovely. The story is decent. The voice cast is exceptional. It is executed really nicely so that it grips you whether it's a flashback or present day. And I get the feeling that Nolan used it as a source for The Dark Knight trilogy. A few similarities, such as his inner struggle between choosing love or vigilantism, the dynamic between Bruce and Alfred, the love interest, etc.

B+

List:
Batman: The Killing Joke B+
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm B+
Batman Ninja B-
Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero C+
Batman vs. Two-Face C

Still to see:
Batman and Harley Quinn
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Batman: Gotham Knight

Sat May 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Meh, just felt like an extended episode of the tv show, and not a great one at that. You could tell who the surprise villain was going to be right away, Bruce has that bad of luck with women.

C

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]