Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Nine 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Nine 

Post Nine
Nine

Quote:
Nine is a 2009 musical-romantic film directed and produced by Rob Marshall. The screenplay, by Michael Tolkin and Anthony Minghella, is based on Arthur Kopit's book for the 1982 musical of the same name, which was itself suggested by Federico Fellini's semi-autobiographical film 8½. Maury Yeston composed the music and wrote the lyrics for the songs.

The film premiered in London and was released in the United States on December 18, 2009, in New York City and Los Angeles, with a wide release on December 25, 2009.

The principal cast consists of Academy Award winners Daniel Day-Lewis, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Marion Cotillard, Penélope Cruz, Sophia Loren, Academy Award nominee Kate Hudson, and Grammy Award winner Fergie.

The film was nominated for four Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actress (Penélope Cruz), Best Art Direction (John Myhre (AD), Gordon Sim (SD)), Best Costume Design (Colleen Atwood) and Best Original Song ("Take It All" Music and Lyrics by Maury Yeston).

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Nine
... underwhelming. The movie doesn't work very well because the musical numbers aren't that great, and those scenes are the ones that should make up for the paper thin plot and minimal character development. The whole cast is good with the material they are given, but the only person who leaves a lasting impression is Marion Cotillard. Definitely the best performance in the film, and deserves an Oscar nomination. Day-Lewis isn't particularly strong, but it's a good performance.

It's extremely lackluster, but it's still a decent watch.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:08 pm
Stanley Cup

i'm wondering if Rob Marshall was a one hit wonder

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:01 pm
Forum General

I thought it was very disappointing. The acting was very mediocre besides Marion Cotillard, who absolutely shines. Kate Hudson was also pretty good but I'm biased because she by far has the best song. It just doesn't flow as well as it should be and the musical numbers aren't show stoppers like they aim to be.

6/10 (C+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Full Fledged Member

I thought it was fantastic, though nowhere near as good as Marshall's last musical outing, Chicago (my second favorite film of all-time). I look forward to seeing it again.

A

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:15 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

C+ great performances aren't enough for the mostly uninspired songs, sets, and story.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:43 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Handsome, and totally incoherent.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:57 am
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

It starts off great and ends great, but everything in the middle is a bit of the mess. The biggest fault is that there's not a single showstopping number. You have to have at least one of those in a musical.

Daniel Day-Lewis and his harem of women are great in their roles (except Sophia Loren who looks like she has risen from the grave only to dance like a zombie). But other than Penelope Cruz and Marion Cottilard and Judi Dench, others don't get much time and they don't fit well with the story. Fergie and Kate Hudson seem to come out of nowhere and as soon as they end their songs you forget them. Which is a but weird as they seem to have the strongest songs and the closest to a showstopper number this movie neeeded. Nicole Kidman makes a bit of a splash, but she's barely in the movie, and soon after her there's the big Marion vs. Daniel scene so you again forget about anything before.

There's a great story in this, but it was lost as the script is a mess. It's like they started to make the movie the same way Gudio started to make Italia - without an idea and script. It's a bit of a mess.

It has great cinematography though. Definitely among this years best.

I really did enjoy it, it was funny and sad at times, but overall it's missing a good backbone to make everything work.

And also I think it was a mistake to turn Take It All into a Marion song only. She did great on it, but I think it would be awesome to see Marion, Penelope and Nicole in action together... And also because the song implies to all of them. They were all just as much as hurt by Guido.

Wonderful ending shot BTW.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:11 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Yeah it's pretty terrible.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:44 am
The Lubitsch Touch

TRIXSTER DONT JUDGE ALL MUSICALS BASED ON THIS ONE BAD APPLE K

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:06 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Nine is a big disgrace to watch and a damn shame given what should of been a strong cast. Everyone involved, outside of Marion Cotillard, have sub-par performances and don't live to their full potentials. However, every minute Cotillard is on screen is great and the only good parts of the film. The entire script is bland, the musical numbers don't work where they are put and outside Marion and costume design it's just a mess. *

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]