Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Twilight Saga: New Moon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
F 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 19

You must have big rats

Post The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Quote:
The Twilight Saga: New Moon, commonly referred to as New Moon, is a 2009 American romance fantasy-vampire film based on Stephenie Meyer's 2006 novel New Moon. It is the second film in The Twilight Saga film series and is the sequel to 2008's Twilight. Summit Entertainment greenlit the sequel in late November 2008, following the early success of Twilight. Directed by Chris Weitz, the film stars Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner, reprising their roles as Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, and Jacob Black, respectively. Melissa Rosenberg, who handed in a draft of the film script during the opening weekend of Twilight, returned as screenwriter for New Moon as well.

Filming began in Vancouver in late March 2009, and in Montepulciano, Italy in late May 2009. The film was released on November 20, 2009 in most countries, and set domestic box office records as the biggest midnight screening, grossing $26.3 million, which was superseded by its sequel, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse. This led to the highest single day, domestic gross on an opening day, with $72.7 million. Furthermore, New Moon opened with the third highest domestic opening weekend since 2002 grossing a total of $142,839,137. The film also became the highest grossing film released by Summit Entertainment, and was the widest independent release, playing in over 4,100 theaters in its theatrical run, until it was surpassed by The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.

New Moon was released on DVD and Blu-ray on March 20, 2010 through midnight release parties. As of April 2010, $144,808,588 in North American DVD sales, selling more than 6,367,352 units, 4 million of which were sold within its first weekend, beating Twilight's 3.8 million units sold in its first two days. The film was well received by fans, but critical reception was less favorable.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Post Re: The Twilight Saga: New Moon
New Moon follows along directly with the book. This movie was clearly made for the fans. Most parts of the movies that fans will love others will be like "Whaaaa?". That's ok though. Honestly, if any movie is going to bring in outside viewers it will be Eclipse. Not New Moon. New Moon was the best adaptation of a book that I have ever seen. It was completely faithful to the book, which in my opinion, is why so few outside of the Twilight bubble will enjoy it. Every emotion I felt while reading it was brought to the screen and I felt them all over again.
The CGI looked great especially for the little budget and time that was given for it's creation. It wasn't amazing, or award deserving, but it served it's purpose and brought the wolves to life. The effects were enough to have me flinch at the snapping and wrestling of the wolves. The vampire speed was heavily improved and no where near as cheesy. The volutri fight scene was exciting and I am very happy that they added it to the movie, despite it not being in the book.
The performances were a huge step up from the first. Kristen Stewart was Bella, she finally pulled through and could have carried the movie on her shoulders. A lot of the supporting cast offered some much needed comic relief through out the depressing and longing part of the movie, which is essential to the story.
As for the music. I was split 50/50. I loved the music from the soundtrack, I found they placed the songs perfectly through out the movie. The score on the other hand, seemed to take itself a bit too seriously. It could have easily drowned out a scene if I didn't pay attention enough. I think a little volume control could have fixed this, not completely but it would have been a bandage atleast. There is a vision that Alice has that is COMPLETELY cheesy. The score is ridiculous and the slow mo they used.. made it laughable. I hate to admit it being a fan, but I just can't even deny that.
What I find funny is the criticism about the length. Critics say it dragged and was much too long, while fans complained it was rushed and wanted it to be a LOTR length. In my opinion, Chris Weitz walked this very thin line well. If the critics got what they wanted, fans would be disappointed and if the fans got what they wanted, critics would be disappointed. Overall the fans won on this one.. which is how it should be. I am VERY happy with this movie. It took me on the same journey that I took in the book. I loved every minute of it (minus that one Alice vision).

Fan grade: A
Movie grade: C+

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:18 pm
Romosexual!

B-

everytime there was a werewolves or vampire scenes i luved. the rest i could care less.
it dragged on for too long. got tired of her having nightmares every other scene.
only girls would love the way it ended. :lol:

Liked Twilight better.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

B-

I thought it was better than the first. New Moon happens to be my favorite of the books, too, though. Not much of an Edward fan really. The quality is noticably better this time around, but it does drag sometimes. Bella having her nightmares became annoying, and her depression state also lasted a little too long I felt.

Biggest audience reactions:

1. Jacob takes his shirt off for the first time to dab the blood off of Bella's forehead.
2. Akward movie theatre scene.
3. Alice, "make sure you take/let the dog out first."
4. The ending.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

したい wrote:
Biggest audience reactions:

1. Jacob takes his shirt off for the first time to dab the blood off of Bella's forehead.
2. Akward movie theatre scene.
3. Alice, "make sure you take/let the dog out first."
4. The ending.

The theater laughed a lot at Alice's vision she showed to Aro. It was cringe worthy. All I could think about was "Who edited this movie and thought "yea this looks really good" " It could have done without the lame score music and slow mo:( Other than that scene, the ones you mentioned were the same in my theater.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:54 am
Full Fledged Member

Rev wrote:
B-

everytime there was a werewolves or vampire scenes i luved. the rest i could care less.
it dragged on for too long. got tired of her having nightmares every other scene.
only girls would love the way it ended. :lol:

Liked Twilight better.

You're right.. lol I did love it. I can't resist those kinds of cliff hangers. I liked the story behind Twilight better than New Moon.. but overall for an adaptation, film production and acting, I prefer NM.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:56 am
Forum General

I thought it was quite great and a huge improvement over the first.

9/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Golfaholic

The Twilight movies are the story of a girl desperate for her defloration. Who's she trying to f*ck in the third movie? A dragon?
This movie is totally repetitive. 3/4 are just a copy from the first one. It is way too long and drags on a lot. With Patterson out of the picture for most of the time the movie rests mostly on the shoulders of Kristen Stewart which is always a bad idea. She couldn't act if here life depended on it. I disliked the first one, but this sequel is just horribly bad. Even the special effects are just laughable. The CGI werewolves wouldn't be state of the art if we had the year 2000.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:43 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Levy = #1

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Cream of the Crop

Chip Munkington wrote:
Levy = #1

Ditto!

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Levy wrote:
The Twilight movies are the story of a girl desperate for her defloration. Who's she trying to f*ck in the third movie? A dragon?
This movie is totally repetitive. 3/4 are just a copy from the first one. It is way too long and drags on a lot. With Patterson out of the picture for most of the time the movie rests mostly on the shoulders of Kristen Stewart which is always a bad idea. She couldn't act if here life depended on it. I disliked the first one, but this sequel is just horribly bad. Even the special effects are just laughable. The CGI werewolves wouldn't be state of the art if we had the year 2000.

So if you disliked the 1st movie, why would you even give this a chance then??? :er:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

MR. GREEN wrote:
Levy wrote:

So if you disliked the 1st movie, why would you even give this a chance then??? :er:

He hoped to see a good defloration scene.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:51 am
Leader of the Pack

So I wrote a very unprofessional and sarcastic review for New Moon. I'll leave the serious critical analyzing to those who get paid to do it, but for now I enjoy ripping into a bad movie every once in awhile. Here's what I got to say...

Quote:
The following is a negative review on the movie “New Moon.” This review is written by someone who has not read the Twilight novels and this critique is centered on the question of “what does this movie do to advance the art of cinema?” The simple answer to that question is nothing. But let’s be honest, this movie was never made for those wanting something more from their teen vampire/werewolf love triangle drama. But frankly, I did get more – more shirtless buff guys, some with tans, some with glitter, than I ever wanted to see.

Based off the second novel of Stephanie Meyers’ ridiculously popular Twilight series, “New Moon” picks up a few days after the carnage that occurred in the final few minutes of the last film. Bella (Kirsten Stewart, “Adventureland”) and vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson, “Twilight”) are as madly in love as any human and mythical creature can be. That is until Bella gets a paper cut at her birthday party and another Cullen (Jackson Rathbone, “S. Darko”) attacks her, forcing Edward to realize that his life is not right for her.

Taking hasty and drastic measures, Edward decides that his and Bella’s undying romance should die and takes off to Europe, leaving Bella alone with her good looking friend Jacob (Taylor Lautner, “Twilight”) who has always had the hots for her. Just like Edward though, Jacob has a supernatural secret that hinders a relationship from forming between he and Bella. Feeling depressed Bella tries to find a way to get Edward back by becoming an adrenaline junkie, which leads Edward to mistakenly believe she was killed in an accident. In fashion of “Romeo and Juliet,” Edward (even though he left her high and dry) cannot live knowing that Bella is dead and decides to have a special group of vampires put him out of his misery. From this point on, the cheesy, give-me-a-break factor has busted a nut and no redemption is to be found.

The love I once had for this once unique and captivating series is all but lost. Director Chris Weitz (“The Golden Compass”) has taken this “going to be popular no matter what” movie series and did what he was paid to do, cater to the thousands upon zillions of teenage girl fans. While Catherine Hardwicke at least tried to take the source material and turn it into something visually seductive and original, Weitz has gone straight for the been there, done that epic blockbuster effect. He does nothing to make this film intriguing to anyone outside of the fan base. As sad as it may be to think that film makers today have no problem stooping to that level, it is so damn profitable these days, who can blame him.

Bella and Edward’s romance, which seemed so sincere in the first movie, is turned into a laughable, melodramatic soap opera. While the absurdly clichéd and childish dialogue is first in line for the blame, Stewart and Pattinson don’t help matters by seemingly losing what chemistry they created in “Twilight.”

Then there is Lautner. If Weitz set out to prove anything in this movie it is that Lautner is the epitome of hotness and any girl that does not drool over Lautner’s glorious six-pack abs has something mentally wrong with her. Call me out Weitz if I’m wrong about your intentions, but from the countless shots of this guy’s man pecks throughout this painfully long movie, I just don’t think I am wrong. Oh, and as for Lautner’s acting, while he is not quite as stiff as Channing Tatum in any of his roles, the boy definitely needs to work on other expressions than just smiling or pouting. Giving him the benefit of the doubt though, he does make a more convincing werewolf than Pattinson does vampire.

Some positives of the movie are that the special effects are actually not giggle worthy anymore and there is a bit more action to keep the pace going. Not much, but hey, something is always better than nothing.

So for all you fans out there (or girls that need that “hot” guy visual fix that could just as easily be found online), I really hope you enjoy this movie, because it was made for you. As for everyone else, maybe it is time to dust off and watch your old VHS copy of “Titanic” to understand what quality epic romance filmmaking is all about.

*1/2 out of *****

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:40 am
Golfaholic

MR. GREEN wrote:
Levy wrote:

Professional obligation

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:54 am
Full Fledged Member

Any review that says Catherine Hardwicke did something good with Twilight isn't worth reading in my opinion. If you don't like the story, you're not going to like the movie. Simple as that. I think Chris did a great job with New Moon and completely put Hardwicke to shame. You're in the minority if you disagree with this.

Plenty of people who aren't fans of the series enjoyed this movie, they just don't flock to the internet like the rabid haters or fans. That's why despite all the bad reviews or bad predictions online, this movie is a box office hit. Although, if you're a rabid hater you will completely disagree with me and be in denial... until you are proven wrong and then you'll just start making excuses as to WHY it's doing so well.

It's very entertaining :thumbsup:

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:10 am
You must have big rats

CM88 wrote:
I think Chris did a great job with New Moon and completely put Hardwicke to shame. You're in the minority if you disagree with this.

Oh for realz!?!!!

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/newmoon

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/t ... q=twilight

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/twilight_saga_new_moon/

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/twilight/

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I liked it better than Twilight, and against my better judgment, I think I'm Team Jacob. Bella's annoying and Edward's... there, I guess.

C+?

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:16 pm
Sbil

The first thing you need to know: I know nothing about Twilight and never really cared to.

The second thing: This movie, despite some OK technical work and special effects, is pretty bad. The writing is atrocious (some of the dialogue is mind-bogglingly stupid; good job, Stephanie Meyer!) and the acting ranges from amateurish (Kristen Stewart) to horrendous (Robert Pattinson). Taylor Lautner is the only principal in the film who shows any kind of potential, which is strange especially since Stewart has been impressive in some other movies. I'm not sure what the purpose of making Bella the most annoying lead character in possibly any movie ever serves, but I guess it's worked out for them. Now, I never saw Twilight, but if this is supposed to be an improvement, I'm sure I never will. D+

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:53 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

OMG. Libs = New #1

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:53 pm
Romosexual!

LIB'S A MAN! O_o

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:33 pm
Full Fledged Member

Dr. Lecter wrote:
CM88 wrote:
I think Chris did a great job with New Moon and completely put Hardwicke to shame. You're in the minority if you disagree with this.

Oh for realz!?!!!

Yes. Almost everything that has been criticized is directly related to the book and the dialogue. Not the direction. CW actually brought the book to life that so many fans loved. Unfortunately, critics aren't a fan of this and if they read the books they'd complain about the same things. I don't blame CW for the bad reviews, he did what they wanted him to do, adapt a book. It's not his fault if critics hate the story.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:15 pm
Leader of the Pack

CM88 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
CM88 wrote:

Oh for realz!?!!!

Yes. Almost everything that has been criticized is directly related to the book and the dialogue. Not the direction. CW actually brought the book to life that so many fans loved. Unfortunately, critics aren't a fan of this and if they read the books they'd complain about the same things. I don't blame CW for the bad reviews, he did what they wanted him to do, adapt a book. It's not his fault if critics hate the story.

I agree and disagree at the same time. He did deliver for the fans... There is no doubt about that. What he didn't do was try and make the movie anything more than it could be, which I thought Hardwicke did. There was nothing special about the way this movie was made and add to that the horrible dialogue and script and you have a bad movie. Simple as that.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:22 am
Romosexual!

I like this review

Quote:
Full disclosure: I haven’t read the books. I only recently watched the first movie in the name of informed journalism because I knew that would be reviewing “New Moon.” I had a reaction that I didn’t expect. Based on what I already knew about what my favorite gossip blogger calls “Twitards,” I suspected that I wouldn’t love it. I knew about the abstinence “metaphors.” But I didn’t expect to find a story so rich with anti-feminist ideology. A quick Google search tells me that many a literary scholar has already touched on the Bella-as-a-battered-woman interpretation, so I’ll try not to rehash. But I will say that I absolutely agree with it and don’t see it so much as an interpretation as the only way to read the damned thing. The same Google search also tells me that the movies are very similar to the books. So I feel pretty confident in my understanding of the “Twilight” universe.

I watched “Twilight” at home with a friend. But my “New Moon” experience was with an audience. Dear god, the audience! Naturally, it was mostly female. Tweens and their mothers, divided into opposing teams of Edward and Jacob. They were so pumped for the movie that they cheered for the production company logo. They cheered for first appearances of their team mascots. They whooped whenever a male character appeared without a shirt. I felt like I was attending a Barely Legal Chippendales show with my young cousin and horny aunt. I’ve been more comfortable staring directly into a stripper’s backside. I’m not even joking.

I won’t really try to avoid spoilers because if you’re reading this, you’ve most likely either read the books and know what’s going to happen, or you’re morbidly curious and don’t really care. If you don’t want to be spoiled, consider this your warning.

“New Moon” opens with Bella, on the eve of her 18th birthday, having an anxiety dream about getting old while her immortal boyfriend, Edward, stays young. A legitimate worry, to be sure, but she follows it up with a declaration that she’s already old at 18. This is something that teenagers and people in their early 20s like to do, and it drives older folks absolutely fucking nuts. Bella is actually a pretty typical teenager in a lot of ways, none of them positive. She constantly ignores the sound advice that more experienced people give her, choosing to do the rash thing at every turn. She sneaks out. She makes ridiculous declarations like “I don’t really like music” just to sound rebellious. She treats the nice boys terribly, always opting to make time with the troublemakers instead. This is the shit that new parents worry about when they learn they’re having girls. And, for some reason, this character is serving as a role model for teenage girls all over the world. Excuse me while I go have a panic attack.

So anyway, Bella has a really eventful birthday. The possessive Edward has a scowl-off with Jacob, one of the many friends Bella has been ignoring ever since she got a boyfriend. Later, at Bella’s oddly formal birthday party, she gets a paper cut. This abruptly ends the festivities since half the attendees immediately want to eat her. After all this, Bella still doesn’t get what she really wants for her birthday: eternal life. Instead, she settles for a really awkward kiss goodnight from a guy who acts like he has history’s worst case of Blue Balls.

The next morning, with furrowed brow, Edward dumps her like one would a stray puppy. Literally. When he’s done, he actually leaves her in the middle of the woods and she just curls up into a whimpering ball until nighttime. She doesn’t belong in his world, he tells her. She’s not good for him. Considering how many times he’s told her that both he and his entire family would love to gobble her up like a bucket of fried chicken, he makes a valid point. And with that, the Cullens disappear from the town of Forks and from Bella’s life.

Brokenhearted, Bella immediately becomes a useless lump. So useless, in fact, that she doesn’t even try to find her way home from the woods and must be rescued by a shirtless fellow named Sam. (Can anyone tell me why no one, not even Bella’s dad, bats an eyelash when a half-clothed man walks out of the woods with an unconscious teenage girl? They just thank him and get on with their day.) After that, she sits moping in a chair for two solid months. Seriously. That’s a whole montage: Bella staring out the window while seasons change. Her dad tells her that he’s worried about her and her behavior isn’t normal. And guess what? He’s right!

Bella finally decides to get out of the house and that’s when the trouble starts again. After seeing a movie with one of her long-neglected friends, she goes on an impromptu joy ride with one of the Port Angeles rapists. As she straddles the bike, phantom Edward pops up like the angel on her shoulder to tell her that she’s being reckless. Instead of heeding his warnings, she takes this as a cue to become an adrenaline junkie. She decides that being haunted by Edward’s morality ghost is better than nothing. And then she selfishly drags the doting Jacob into her plan to be a moron.

Meanwhile, Jacob has his own problems. Shirtless Sam and his gang of equally shirtless cliff divers have been courting him to join their mysterious group. After an awkward third-wheel date with Bella and that nice blonde boy, Jacob flips out. Anyone who’s seen “Teen Wolf” recognizes this as werewolf puberty. The next time Bella sees Jacob, he’s a changed, shirtless man. Fortunately for her, he’s wolfed out just in time to save her stupid ass from evil vampires in Edward’s absence.

Bella takes this opportunity to become a complete and total hypocrite. “It’s wrong,” she lectures him about being a werewolf. “It’s not a lifestyle choice,” he retorts. “I was born this way.” Leave it to a Mormon to compare being a bloodthirsty monster to homosexuality. I bet Stephanie Meyer even thinks that’s a really open-minded viewpoint. Anyway, Jacob tells her they can’t be friends anymore because he could flip out at any time. By way of example, he points to Sam’s scarred girlfriend. At this point, I’m surprised Bella isn’t totally smitten with him, seeing as how she has such a boner for men who want to hurt her. But nay, she still prefers her predator boyfriends scrawny and sparkly.

And then Edward’s sister returns to tell her that Edward, believing Bella dead, now has a death wish of his own. It’s here that things really start to drag as Bella has to save Edward and then get saved about 100 more times herself. The girl really is useless. Also, Dakota Fanning is there. Of course, the audience is meant to think that this is all so romantic and sweet. Love against the odds. Romeo and Juliet. And the worst part is, most of the audience does think that.

As you can see, “New Moon” is not for me. It seems like it should be. I’m a fan of supernatural stories. I was once a brooding teenager who dreamed of gothic romance. But I absolutely hate what Stephanie Meyer has done. She’s reversed everything that Joss Whedon did for female empowerment. She’s taken all the sex out of the sexy vampire. She’s boiled the “inner demons” metaphor down to nothing, and dressed it with a slightly condescending and bigoted sauce. If you liked the books and the first movie, you will probably love “New Moon.” It’s going to make a ton of money and Stephanie Meyer is going to continue to be lauded and rewarded. I know that there will always be bubblegum pop for tweens but this is so much worse than the Backstreet Boys. This is, to borrow a phrase from the source material, a lion in lambskin. It’s intellectually and socially detrimental to both literature and cinema, simultaneously. The fact that so many girls will see this movie and drink up the messages like poisoned Kool-Aid depresses the hell out of me. But there’s nothing I can do about it. You’ve already picked your team.

http://www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=reviews&Id=12005

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:12 pm
You must have big rats

Rev wrote:

(Can anyone tell me why no one, not even Bella’s dad, bats an eyelash when a half-clothed man walks out of the woods with an unconscious teenage girl? They just thank him and get on with their day.)

:funny: :funny:

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Marshall Viper wrote:
CM88 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
CM88 wrote:

Oh for realz!?!!!

I agree and disagree at the same time. He did deliver for the fans... There is no doubt about that. What he didn't do was try and make the movie anything more than it could be, which I thought Hardwicke did. There was nothing special about the way this movie was made and add to that the horrible dialogue and script and you have a bad movie. Simple as that.

I didn't expect much from the script seeing as Rosenberg was the one to put it together again. The dialogue is directly from her script and I really hope, although doubt, that summit will drop her. :disgust: Then again it could be the dialogue from the book that people aren't liking? Could you give me an example? It doesn't have to be exact, I'm really just curious.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I found Twilight to be a horribly directed movie, you found that in New Moon. Atleast we both agree that CW delivered exactly what the fans wanted.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next