Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Chi Bi [Red Cliff] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Chi Bi [Red Cliff] 

Post Chi Bi [Red Cliff]
Red Cliff

Quote:
Red Cliff is a Chinese epic-war film based on the Battle of Red Cliffs (208-209 AD) and events during the end of the Han Dynasty and immediately prior to the period of the Three Kingdoms in ancient China. The film was directed by John Woo, and stars Tony Leung, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Zhang Fengyi, Chang Chen, Hu Jun, Lin Chi-ling and Zhao Wei.

Within Asia, Red Cliff was released in two parts, totaling over four hours in length. The first part was released in July 2008 and the second in January 2009. Outside of Asia, a single 2½ hour film was released in 2009, though the two-part version was later released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK. With an estimated budget of US$80 million, Red Cliff is the most expensive Asian-financed film to date. The first part of the film grossed US$124 million in Asia and broke the box office record previously held by Titanic in mainland China.

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Chi Bi [Red Cliff]
Is this a return to form for John Woo? Hell Yes.

Imagine the mixture of Mongol and excessive Bombast and you have Red Cliff. I'll write a proper review later but this is epic battles and swords done right!

Oh and you only have to wait like 3 minutes for the Doves.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:13 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

(This is a review of a Western single two and a half hour movie cut.)

Battles (no matter how good they're filmed and they're good, but not great here - there's an underlying feeling of deja-vu at work) don't make a movie. Occasional story development and/or a few quotes from The Art of War are hardly something to base a movie on.

It's pretty obvious this is "The Best Of" cut. As it is it suffers in character development, it's quite boring at times as I didn't care for anyone and the battles are so condensed I was tired at a half point of the movie because of that.

I don't know what's the movie like in its original two two hour movies form, but I expected that if they knew there would be different cuts for Asian and Western market they would have that in mind.

Also the lame English narration at the start irritated the hell out of me. Completely wrong name pronunciation was distracting and made more than half a theater to burst into laughter as sounds pretty funny.

I was disappointed as the net is full of only praise for Red Cliff.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I saw the first part and, in spite of the cliffhanger, do not bother to see the second. That is how good it is.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:03 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I saw the first part and me too, do not think to bother to see the second.

However, the US version is being released here this week (it's like a combo set of part 1+2), I might check it out.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]