Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Monster 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Monster 

Post Re: Monster
Films yoshue "liked" this year:

NATM2
Julie & Julia

I know I'm missing something.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

A very quick, non-thorough look reveals at least 13 other 2009 releases I approved of to varying degrees. And I commented in every one of those threads.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

wahhh
:zonks:

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:45 pm
loyalfromlondon

The Hurt Locker
Star Trek
Bandslam

to name a few

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:02 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Two more Yoshue liked

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:15 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

trixster wrote:
The Hurt Locker
Star Trek
Bandslam

to name a few

not bandslam so much, although its badness was hitting the right notes for a moderate night of enjoyment

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:16 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

@ Gulli: Eric Bogosian!!!!! :)

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:25 pm

well then the only shame is how many good movies you dislike.

and I thought you hated hurt locker? No? Must have been someone else.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:19 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

If you are referring to Monster as a "good movie," I can offer merely a hearty chuckle.

I was quite effusive in my praise of The Hurt Locker. Read the threads next time, BM, and stop confusing me with whoever the hell it is you are confusing me with!

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:27 pm

dear yoshue,

what do you think of gangs of new york?

sincerely

J.S.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:09 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Re:
John Savage wrote:
movies35 wrote:
Depressing, disturbing and just amazing.

9/10 (A-)

This.

The performances are of a quality we rarely see and the script is as sharp as it is dark. Not only is it incredibly well constructed and displayed (the direction with sound fade outs, editing, and gritty visual style is all great too) but moreover it is completely engaging. I wish it had stayed a little more in a sense of reality, so that you could actually question the morality of the whole thing, and whether she was evil and crazy, or just a sad woman who went through a hard life. Instead the real story is so one sided that question is answered for you.
Nevertheless, brilliant film.

10/10.

I'm surprised you loved this, but I'm glad. It's one of my favorite films of all-time. It's probably #2.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:55 pm

This is my kind of film. Disturbing, insightufl, well done. I love this shit. It's a psychological and emotional drama, not a horror flick, therefore, I love it.
I would love may except it was just too strange for me to get into. This is not.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:14 pm
Wallflower

John Savage wrote:
This is my kind of film. Disturbing, insightufl, well done. I love this shit. It's a psychological and emotional drama, not a horror flick, therefore, I love it.
I would love may except it was just too strange for me to get into. This is not.

May is a psychological character study, first and foremost :P. You can't be so closed-minded to other genres ;). You should see it again. It's not THAT weird. And it's good for movies to take you out of your comfort zone sometimes ;).

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm not. I like monster, last house on the left, and Drag Me To Hell, those cover any genre that may could be applied to, and to an extent, I like may, just not that much, it just wasn't my thing.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:24 pm
Wallflower

John Savage wrote:
I'm not. I like monster, last house on the left, and Drag Me To Hell, those cover any genre that may could be applied to, and to an extent, I like may, just not that much, it just wasn't my thing.

LAST HOUSE is mostly a thriller, MAY is not. DRAG ME TO HELL is a horror/comedy, which I guess MAY could be as well but the tones are much different. I would say it's comparable to MONSTER though. It's MONSTER with more blood ;).

You should watch INSIDE and let me know if you can handle that. You'll at least have to give it credit for being so well-done.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2