Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Damned United 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Damned United 

Post The Damned United
The Damned United

Quote:
The Damned United is a 2009 British sports drama film directed by Tom Hooper and adapted by Peter Morgan from David Peace's bestselling novel The Damned Utd, a largely fictional book based on the author's interpretation of Brian Clough's tenure as manager of Leeds United. It was produced by BBC Films and Left Bank Pictures, with additional funding from Screen Yorkshire and Columbia Pictures. Sony Pictures Entertainment distributed the film. The film was originally proposed by Stephen Frears, but he pulled out of the project in November 2007. Tom Hooper took his place and film was shot from May to July 2008. The film marks the fifth collaboration between screenwriter Peter Morgan and actor Michael Sheen. The film was released in the United Kingdom on 27 March 2009, and in North America on 25 September.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: The Damned United
I think Michael Sheen must be on total autopilot at this stage, all the man does is play real life people!

However he does do it damn well and there is no change here. Anybody who remember's Brian Clough and his volcanic abrasive style will find Sheen's protrayal spot on in all areas. Plus the film wisely avoids alot of actual football action and instead focuses on the background of Clough's infamous 90 day reign at Leeds United.

Sticks pretty close to the book and despite a few factual errors I choose to beleive this is a pretty true account of what happened, The Clough family may not like it but then the truth is often not the nicest thing to face.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:34 pm
ef star star kay

I'm dying to see this..

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:54 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

A football history fan JURing? Or just a fan of Sheen?

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
ef star star kay

Variante Ascari wrote:
A football history fan JURing? Or just a fan of Sheen?

:wub2:

but actually it was what I've heard about this film that made me excited...

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:30 pm
Pure Phase

I loved this film and I had never heard of Brian Clough before. You don't have to be a Leeds United expert to enjoy this fascinating story and its universal themes--betrayal, the lust for fame and power, the dangers of hubris. Michael Sheen delivers another sterling, Oscar-worthy performance. He has an amazing ability to disappear into the character he is playing, be it Tony Blair, David Frost, or, now, Clough. Completely convincing. A strong roster of supporting talent, especially Timothy Spall, lend able support to Sheen.

See it!

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]