Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Collector 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

The Collector 
Extraordinary

Post The Collector
The Collector

Quote:
The Collector is a 2009 American horror film written by Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton and directed by Marcus Dunstan. Originally titled The Midnight Man, the script was originally intended to be a Saw prequel, but the producers did not want to do a prequel and the idea was quickly dismissed.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: The Collector
A very good introduction to a potential new series. It's better than most of the SAW movies. It should have gotten a bit bigger release but I have a feeling quite a bit more people will discover this one on DVD.

A little nitpick is that I wish they would leave animals out of the equation in these horror movies, or any movies that put them in harm's way for that matter. Poor cat.

Still, a very entertaining, nasty little horror film.

B+

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:41 pm
You must have big rats

I laughed at the cat scene. So ridiculous and gratuitous.

But the film was alright.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The film was not great. I would have liked it a lot more had the villain actually died at the end. Plus, he was a scrawny guy, I wanted him to resemble someone that would actually appear threatening. The traps and the twist of who he was was good, though. I wanted the story about the cat burglar getting money for his ex to carry on, but it didn't. Overall it was so so in the horror genre. Shit compared with all films.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

One reason I dig this movie is the protagonist. He's not the usual "God, I'm so hot, and I'm 24, and I just returned from my post-graduation trip to Europe" character. He seems a bit dangerous and desperate and unstable himself, yet proves heroic in the end. It's a satisfying arc in a movie which, yes, is largely Generic Slasher: Saw Era Remix, although in a fun way.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:20 am
now we know

Yes, I did like that, even if it threw me off at first.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I hope he is an actual character in the sequel and gets revenge, and it's not one of those horror films where the returning protagonist dies in the opening scene.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 am
now we know

Well I think he might die pretty soon into the second movie, if not already be dead. The collector seems to have him in a box. How can he possibly escape? Especially when the collector was one step ahead of him the whole way through the first movie. He wasn't that good of a protagonist anyway. He came up with some smart ideas, but he wasn't likeable enough.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

F

Really horrible. Josh Stewart (Arkin) kept me from giving up on this movie, I thought his performance was really strong. Everyone else was just there to be killed, basically. No effort at all.

There were a number of issues I had:

1) Apparently the "collector" dude is a magician, because he trapped a 2-story house in like 1 minute when Arkin goes down to the basement. He comes back up and there is suddenly traps everywhere.

2) As slim as the collector guy is, he doesn't shed 1 drop of blood when he and Arkin fight. Arkin even throws him down the basement steps & dude is unphased. Plus, near the end - Arkin drops the chandelier on the guy and he gets right back up eventually. His clothes don't even tear or rip. However, Arkin is bruised and bloodied like he's been in a boxing match.

3) At the end when Arkin is running to the roadside to flag down oncoming cops, he gets hit by a cop car. Really? How do they not see him? There is a clear view to see him, no obstructions anywhere.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:32 pm
Pure Phase

Cowboys from Hell? Nonsensical!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]