Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 El espinazo del diablo [The Devil's Backbone] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

El espinazo del diablo [The Devil's Backbone] 

Post El espinazo del diablo [The Devil's Backbone]
The Devil's Backbone

Quote:
The Devil's Backbone (Spanish: El espinazo del diablo, literally The Backbone of the Devil) is a 2001 Spanish-Mexican gothic thriller film written by Guillermo del Toro, Antonio Trashorras and David Muñoz, and directed by Guillermo del Toro. It was independently produced by Pedro Almodóvar.

The film is set in Spain, 1939 during the Spanish Civil War. During the director's commentary in the DVD, del Toro stated that, along with Hellboy, this was his most personal project. The film was shot in Madrid.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: El espinazo del diablo [The Devil's Backbone]
7/10 -> B-

It has all the right ingredients as El laberinto del fauno, but the final product isn't as magical and enticing as it.

The characters are well thought out, but some of them feel misused. The story screams a wonderful fairytale with a ghost twist, but the movie's atmosphere never manages to fully give it that feeling.

I love El laberinto del fauno. No matter how many times I see it I'm always fascinated. El espinazo del diablo is rather good but I cannot help myself feeling disappointed as it fails to approach ELDF on every single aspect. I compare the two as they definitely feel like companion pieces.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: El espinazo del diablo [The Devil's Backbone]
This has been on my watch list from the moment Pan’s Labyrinth ended, but for whatever reasons it took over thirteen years to get around to it. I’d say it was worth the wait though. It’s a little slow at first, though this is mostly the movie distracting us with a ghost story while the real monster of the story, Jacinto, is built up. What an asshole that guy is, starting as bitter but still sympathetic. He works at an orphanage and though he cuts one of the kids, seems to immediately feel remorse about it. But then, little by little, he becomes a full fascist prick and ends up killing over half the cast. GDT sure knows how to make a monster and it’s never the one you first expect (except in Shape of Water where everything was obvious right away.)

Loved the scene where the kids realize they’ll need to fight to make it out of there alive.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]